Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How many Iowegians? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-many-iowegians-t25350.html)

johnette 09-17-2009 07:25 PM

I was born and raised in Iowa. Left there when I was 21 and haven't been back except for short visits. My family and my in laws are all there. I have to say it is very pretty up there, but I like the Oklahoma climate better. Suits my joints better in the winter. I love to go to Grinnell Fiberworks when I get back there. I have promised myself next trip I am going to Winterset to Fons and Porter's store. Hmmm, I feel a trip coming on.

fish92241 09-21-2009 06:48 PM

I grew up in Iowa--born in Milo (not on the map!) went to school in Chariton and high school in Des Moines. I flew back to Des Moines this summer to visit brother and sister. I was the youngest of 13. I also have an older sister living in assisted living in Cedar Rapids. We drove over to see her with a nephew and a niece. She was overwhelmed and cried a lot. She had a very big collection of quilt tops (4 were hand pieced by my mother who died in 1970) and the others she got at estate sales, etc. I had them shipped home and will send pics when I get there. I am so thrilled with them. I now live in California.

maryb119 12-27-2009 05:31 PM

I am just north of Cedar Rapids. I lived in Iowa all my life except for three years at Fort Hood, Texas. My first husband was in the Army. I love Iowa. My kids all live nearby. Its a great place to be.

renee765 12-27-2009 07:22 PM

I grew up in Council Bluffs, and went to college and had my babies in Cedar Falls, but migrated south in the late '80s when John Deere was laying off a lot of people.

adriansmom 12-27-2009 08:41 PM

ME...ME...ME!! I live in Council Bluffs, relatives in Ankeny, Des Moines and friends in Newton!!

amma 12-27-2009 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad

Originally Posted by collettakay
Learned something new today. People from Iowa are called "Iowegians". I'll have to share that with my cousin. She moved to Ankeny, Iowa in February.

I think we may use the term Iowegian as a knock off from the term Norwegian> Although not of Norwegian heritage (I'm half Swede :lol: ), I live near the center of Norw-Am culture (Decorah). I think the term Iowan is the common term.

I hadn't heard of that term either :D:D:D will have to ask some friends of mine too :D:D:D

maryb119 12-28-2009 05:19 AM

Iowegian comes from the northern part of the state where there are a lot of people of Norwegian decent. They know what "uff-ta" or "ooff-ta" means, too. I am not sure how to spell it.

Rhonda 12-28-2009 08:57 AM

So an Iowegian is a Norwegian Iowan. Right?

maryb119 12-28-2009 05:31 PM

That is what I was always told.

BelindaD 01-07-2010 10:32 PM

My husband is from Dubuque Iowa. He has family in Cedar Rapids also.