Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How warm do you keep your house? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-warm-do-you-keep-your-house-t272037.html)

sewready 11-08-2015 09:05 PM

70 degrees in the winter and 74-76 in the summer. Trying to keep the gas bill down.

ctrysass2012 11-08-2015 09:25 PM

We have a mobile home & learned our lesson the 1st winter. Propane is very expensive to keep it at 72-74. Got a small wood stove & get a couple of cords of wood for the winter. 65 is when the fire get lit. We don't have 'SOLAR' heat, but if it's in the 50's with sun shining we don't need the stove or furnace.

Mariposa 11-08-2015 09:45 PM

In the summer, we keep the house at 72 or so. Winter, is usually at 70 during the days.

juliea9967 11-09-2015 03:48 AM

We keep our heat at 68 during the day and 65 at night. In the summer we put the aircon at 72 during the day and 69 at night.
I am the warm one at our house. In the winter I sleep with one blanket and during the summer with only a sheet. And I always have my feet sticking out the side. My husband sleeps with his side of the electric blanket on around 9 months out of the year. He always has our bed quilt on top of the electric blanket, and sometimes he adds another flannel quilt. He says he likes to have the weight of 2 or 3 blankets. I think he is a nut, and he thinks I am a weirdo.

Joset 11-09-2015 05:19 AM

ours stays at 68 in winter and the a/c is set at 75 hubby complains a little but when up and doing stuff it is prefect temp

Roberta 11-09-2015 05:24 AM

Here in Maine we keep it at 68 unless the wind is blowing across the ridge where we live, then we turn it up to 70. At night we sleep with a slightly open window and a fan on for white noise. We lived in a city in MA and never have gotten used to total quiet at night :-)

coopah 11-09-2015 05:51 AM

I get cold, too, and layer on the qults. Then I can't move. At night it's 70 and during the day it's 74. We're talking AC here. In the winter, it goes to 68 for heat at night and 72 in the daytime. My blood has 'thinned' since moving here from WA state!

Up North 11-09-2015 06:03 AM

No heat on when it reaches 50 or 60 out it is usually around 70 inside to warm for me at night no blankets, shorty pj's year around. Hubby has to have the blankets or quilt. we burn wood in the fall and winter and it gets HOT if I bake something in the oven I have to open windows. I like it cooler at night but am a short sleeve person. you will often find me in shorts in the winter when the wood heat is going!

LynnVT 11-09-2015 06:16 AM

We live in a very old house, but have added maximum insulation as far as possible. After many years you learn that what the thermostat in the dining room says is not really accurate for the rest of the house. Mostly in winter, that is October - May in our state, we keep it set for just under 65. But most of the house stays pretty comfortable. Upstairs is cooler, but we have a small electric heater to use a short time before I go up to get ready for bed. I'm the heavy covers lover, hubby likes lighter weight on him. Much of the year we use a down comforter with my favorite quilt on top when it's cold. When guests come, I crank up the heat to 70 or more because they expect it, but pretty soon I'm sweating like crazy. So much cheaper to wear a sweater or fleece than to blow all that expensive oil!

cannyquilter 11-09-2015 06:33 AM

We keep ours at about 64 - 66. That's way to high for my husband but it's the lowest I will go. Our solution is he watches TV in front room which is cooler and has the window open. I am in the back room with a quilt.