Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   HP Printer Ink (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hp-printer-ink-t300015.html)

ctrysass2012 10-07-2018 08:04 PM

I also have an HP Office Jet & signed up for Instant Ink after forgetting to buy ink & running out. Best thing ever. You receive the ink needed in the mail before you run out.

tuckyquilter 10-07-2018 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8138561)
I have been using HP printer ink.

Have any of you used the not HP ink?

Like Feffertim above says.. Try the Instant Ink. I use the HP Instant Ink too, but I pay about $4.99 a month. My printer is connected to my internet so when I get low, a pkg arrives right about the time my printer says change ink. I send the old ones back in the return bag they provide. Easy Peasy AND it's way cheaper than buying at a store locally.
Its really a good solution.

Rose_P 10-07-2018 09:08 PM

We have not tried the generics for HP, but had bad experiences with them for earlier printers. We have an HP now and signed up for their ink program where you pay a monthly fee and they send ink cartridges when you need it. My husband was complaining because we went more than a year before these special cartridges ran out and he thought we were being gouged, but I sat down and did the research on the price at various places and we are definitely coming out ahead.

TheMerkleFamily 10-08-2018 02:14 AM

We have an HP OfficeJet 8600 InkJet machine and we refill our black and color cartridges at Costco (see their Photo Center) for a fraction of the cost of new cartridges. We have two sets of cartridges and refill the empties after swapping out with the full and we're never without.

Battle Axe 10-08-2018 03:56 AM

I'm having the same experience as klswift. If I buy non-HP ink, my printer knows the difference and keeps telling me that it won't' work. They have you no matter which way you turn.

coopah 10-08-2018 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8139313)
My mother bought the compatible ink but apparently her printer recognizes that it isn't the "correct" cartridge and constantly has pop ups telling her that. She's decided the aggravation of being nagged at by her computer is not worth the savings.

Same here!

MaggieLou 10-08-2018 10:59 AM

I've bought the generic cartridges for years for my HP. I've never had a problem with them. I do get a message they aren't HP cartridges when I first install them but that's the only time. It's well worth the difference in cost to me. I buy mine from 4inkjets.com. Much less than the HP cartridges. (And I used to work for HP.)

bearisgray 10-08-2018 12:10 PM

Thank you for your responses.

Now - I have another question.

There is an expiration date on the boxes - will the printer accept "outdated" cartridges?

Beachbaby12 10-08-2018 12:14 PM

I only use HP printer ink. I've tried generic in the past and also refills, but not as good as HP printer ink.

Beachbaby12 10-08-2018 12:15 PM

I would think it would accept outdated cartridges. I've been advised not to buy too many ink jet cartridges at one time as if you don't use them up, the back-up cartridges could dry out.