Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   HP Printer Ink (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hp-printer-ink-t300015.html)

mac 10-08-2018 04:58 PM

As far as buying a non-HP brand printer ink, I haven't done that. However, I used the Costco 'refill your HP printer ink' and I ended up having to buy another printer. It leaked all over my printer and destroyed the printer head. What a mess.

Rose_P 10-08-2018 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Beachbaby12 (Post 8140066)
I would think it would accept outdated cartridges. I've been advised not to buy too many ink jet cartridges at one time as if you don't use them up, the back-up cartridges could dry out.

I haven't experienced it with our current printer, but there is a chip in the cartridges of at least some brands which tell the printer to reject them after the expiration date. Modern appliances have been created to outsmart us. If you go on youtube there may be some clever people who will tell you how to defeat these tricky things. It doesn't really have anything to do with the ink drying out, because that would vary greatly depending on storage conditions.

Instant Ink works by HP having remote computers that can track how many pages you have printed. I have the minimal plan, and if I go over 50 pages in a month, I get an email telling me that I will be charged an extra dollar for up to the next 15. My pet peeve is documents that seem to be organized to have wasted pages in them, such as the tail end of a recipe I can print off of some sites that will have nothing on it but a single line that says something like "Serves 6". You have to be constantly vigilant and use the print preview or you wind up with lots of scratch paper.

bearisgray 10-09-2018 03:49 AM

I sometimes do a lot of printing - and sometimes I have a lot of "scratch paper" - intentional or not! so I think I will just buy the HP cartridges.

I, too, get annoyed at the "useless" info that the printer spits out at times.

ljptexas 10-09-2018 04:24 AM

I've used compatible for yrs in my HP photosmart & they've worked well. I hardly use any color but when black gets low or out, it won' print at all. I always try to have an extra on hand....

romanojg 10-09-2018 04:58 AM

We have Cartridge man here, I've worked at the hospital for 18 years and we use them here so I started buying them for my HP. I've never had any problems and I was told that if I ever did they'd back their warranty. They used to be Rapid Refill.

MaggieLou 10-09-2018 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8140062)
Thank you for your responses.

Now - I have another question.

There is an expiration date on the boxes - will the printer accept "outdated" cartridges?

No, the HP printers will not accept an expired cartridge. I don't know about other brands. I tried an expired cartridge in one of my HP's and it wouldn't accept it.

QuiltNama 10-10-2018 01:18 PM

I have an HP 8600 and use a set of ink jets every other month. Use the refills I buy online at 1ink and they work fine.
Peace, Brenda