Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hypnosis for weight loss (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hypnosis-weight-loss-t252312.html)

DDuMouchel 08-23-2014 06:15 AM

I've used the self-hypnosis CD's that you listen to while you fall asleep. I do feel that it helps reinforce healthy behaviors -- drink more water, enjoying being active, feeling better about myself. I use it as an addendum to what I already try to do and have lost about 35 lbs. so far.

gramquilter2 08-23-2014 06:50 AM

tried it-didn't work

Jan in VA 08-23-2014 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 6856149)
Jan, I'm curious--what issues did you find hypnosis to be effective for? It has always fascinated me, but I've never had someone in the know to ask.

My complete answer is too long for this topic/board, but the quick answer is: I found it often successful for smoking, fears, memory retrieval, and self-hypnosis in childbirth.....yes, labor and delivery! I've also used it to lower blood pressure for a mom in labor and for myself frequently during invasive medical procedures.

I often used hypnosis in tandem with a technique call Emotional Freedom Techniques, a trigger point tapping technique which anyone can do. Google it; you'll find a cute article from me there called "Mice in My Pants".:o

Jan in VA

BerninaGirl 08-23-2014 07:34 AM

I tried the hypnosis cds.
I still remember eat half and half only.
I can hear it when I am taking that full portion.

So for me it did not work.

QuiltnNan 08-23-2014 07:35 AM

i just saw a piece on this on the tv... they said it does work for some, but not for most

AngeliaNR 08-23-2014 09:51 AM

Thanks, Jan. It sounds a lot like the deep relaxation techniques of yoga. I found that given a little extra time before a BP test, I can lower it my a few points. I suppose it might be a kind of self-hypnosis.

IBQUILTIN 08-23-2014 10:06 AM

As a teenager (many moons ago) my best friend's Dad hypnotized both of us, told us we didn't like Coca Cola or mashed potatoes, and to this day I don't like either one. I suppose you must be very receptive. It was fun though, and he also told us we could not get off the sofa until we heard him say one certain word. You should have seen us when the phone rang. We were a riot. In all seriousness though, he did teach us both some excellent relaxation techniques that I use to this day when I am stressed out and they really do help.

Three Dog Night 08-23-2014 11:41 AM

I heard about this tapping technique from the Dr. Oz show. There was a Dr. who has written several books about self-hypnosis and one was dieting. He used a tapping technique to stop cravings. I bought a coupon for a Living Lite 3 hour session for $20. I figure it will be worth it even if it just gives me some techniques to think about healthy changes. Will give a follow up report after my session next week. Wish me luck.

QuiltingVagabond 08-23-2014 02:01 PM

My DGS has food aversion issues... he will only eat certain foods, even so far as only certain brands of foods.

I have often wondered if hypnosis would help him get past whatever the issue is...

maviskw 08-23-2014 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6856608)
I often used hypnosis in tandem with a technique call Emotional Freedom Techniques, a trigger point tapping technique which anyone can do. Google it; you'll find a cute article from me there called "Mice in My Pants".:o Jan in VA

I googled it and could not find "Mice in my Pants". There are a lot of articles there, but even though I put quotes around it, they could not find such an item. I did go through the video session, and thought it could be helpful, but I'm anxious to read your article.