Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I am pretty sure this is NOT the way to accept pmt for an item i am selling on craigslist! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-am-pretty-sure-not-way-accept-pmt-item-i-am-selling-craigslist-t155895.html)

FERSID 09-27-2011 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Now I just usually disable email replies on a CL ad - they can call me if they are interested.

Not a good idea to give out your telephone number - they can trace your number & find out where you live - best to do transaction bargaining via email.

Then give them your phone number if necessary ONLY - repeat - ONLY, if you feel comfortable with the person(s) you are dealing with.

Too many crazies out there!

JeanLowe 09-27-2011 05:09 AM

My daughter got one of these emails on Craigslist when she tried to sale something. We live in Washington. It is all a scam to laundry money.

damaquilts 09-27-2011 05:11 AM

I really hate these things. But the ones I hate even more are the ones that prey on people looking for work. Those people are pure scum of the earth and I wish they could be caught and punished. I would love to have the time all these people do that hack into peoples lives, put up scams,etc. If they have nothing better to do I sure could find them something. :-/

Blackberry 09-27-2011 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
They must think i am stupid. I put my quilt frame up for sale on craigs list..i have sold lots of things on there, and never gotten a reply like this:

Thanks for the response. I am willing to purchase it. I will be paying
you via check. You don't need to bother yourself pertaining to the
shipment. I will arrange with my shipper to handle it for me.

The
amount on the check will include the shipper's payment as well.

You
will need to cash the check, deduct your own funds and get the rest
trasfered to my shipper via Western Union so that he could come for
the pick-up at your address. I need your full name, address and your
phone number so as to mail the check to you in timely manner. The
payment will be sent almost immediately once you comply to deduct just
the amount for the item and transfer the balance to the shipper.

PS:Kindly consider the item bought. I want you to take the item off
advertisement because I don't want any other buyer to bid on it again.
I will be adding extra $20 as listing removal fee and make sure you
inform me immediately you remove the listing, OK?

Await your reply.

LOL. besides me not doing any business like this..Craigs list is not a "bidding" procedure.

So, Seller be aware of the scams out there..
i feel sorry for those that are desperate to sell something and would probably go for something like this. I did get back to her..and now "Await her reply".

THIS IS A SCAM!!!!!!

quilter41 09-27-2011 05:24 AM

This is an old scam. If you ask me Craigslist is a joke. I sold a sewing machine to a lady from Wisconsin and she got it home and called to tell me she wanted her money back because it didn't work and was in pieces.. I politely told her it was intact and worked when she took it and it wasn't my fault she was disatisified. Reason why I never meet them at my home. Always in a public place and DH said don't post there anymore. His reason, to many nuts out there.

Candy Apple Quilts 09-27-2011 05:26 AM

Yep. Direct cut and paste of the letter I received for an item I had on CL too.... I wonder how many people do fall for this sort of thing.... it's very sad. :thumbdown:

Iamquilter 09-27-2011 05:31 AM

It's definitely a scam.

Iamquilter 09-27-2011 05:32 AM

It's definitely a scam.
Sorry for double post. Clicked twice.

Macie 09-27-2011 05:45 AM

I did not get a scam from a craiglisting but did get a phone one. This is how it started. Hello Grandma, (Hi), how are you grandma, (fine)Grandma I have something bad to tell you (what is that) but please do not tell my folks (OK what happened) I am in Mexico and was picked up by the police for a DUI (oh dear that is terrible, now you know better than to be drinking and driving, you spent three months here in the states for the same thing) I know can you send me money so I can get out of jail (sure honey how much do you need) 3,500 dollars, (tell you what I will send you 5,000 so you could have extra) he then proceeded to give the phone to the inspector who gave me the instructions how to send the money by cash only and send via Western Union. Told him OK shall do... Still LOL to myself. He called back and said he did not get the money I told him My mother did not raise a fool and stop scamming people.

Lady Diana 09-27-2011 05:58 AM

There mentioned 'TRANSFER' funds to shipper means a bank transfer,to the shipper. Which means, THEY WANT YOUR BANK INFORMATION. This is the stupidist response to your listing I have ever seen. I like the board member response, send check when it clears, we will ship.