Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I found out why I've been sick and in pain... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-found-out-why-ive-been-sick-pain-t18944.html)

littlehud 04-14-2009 07:02 PM

I have heard shingles are horrible. My heart goes out to you. Hope you get to feel better soon.

b.zang 04-14-2009 07:31 PM

Like everyone else, I'm going to tell you to take your medicine and rest, rest, rest. Maybe your kids won't get chicken pox. There's a vaccine available now and I sure recommend that all parents have their children vaccinated because shingles is just too painful, and who wants to live knowing that a childhood illness can cause later grief?

I had shingles a few years ago and the pain was awful. It started just after I had slipped on ice and thought I had pulled a muscle in my back, so I left on holiday armed with heavy duty pain pills. They caused hallucinations so I had to stop them, and thankfully I found a doctor who recognized what I had and got me started on that anti-viral medicine. I feel sorry for you, looking at that rash. Luckily mine was on my lower back so I never actually had to look at it. DH rubbed a cream on me twice a day - I think he just liked rubbing my butt :wink:

Moonpi 04-14-2009 07:39 PM

Hang in there, gotta get better.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 04-15-2009 05:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
Maybe you want to see...maybe not. Have any of you looked at the pics on the internet? There are some nasty scary pictures. My DH was looking. I told him not to show me more. This was taken today. Day 5 of the rash.

OOPS. Actually yesterday 14 April was day 4. Today is day 5--15 April.

Day 5 of Shingles rash
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32422[/ATTACH]

ButtercreamCakeArtist 04-15-2009 05:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's weird. Sometimes it looks like it is getting better, then it will look worse later. ???? Thank you to everyone for your kind words. It means a lot to have so many that care.
Heather, thank you. ;) Yes, I will post some pics of the stages of this stuff. I hope it doesn't turn black. Or get on my face.

The dot is a freckle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32423[/ATTACH]

ButtercreamCakeArtist 04-15-2009 05:51 AM

And, yes, both of my kids have had the varicella vaccine to help prevent chicken pox, but there is still a chance they can get chicken pox. Most likely, if they do, the chicken pox will not be nearly as bad of a case as it would've been without having the vaccine.

Debra Mc 04-15-2009 06:23 AM

MIL had it last year. I had a friend whose mother had shingles & when she was in the hospital, they brought her one of those wash basins full of ice & orange juice , cranberry juice & other acidey juices. Nurse told her to drink as many of these as she could a day. Something about the acid is suppose to help. You are scaring me. I had chicken poxs with a vengance when I was a kid. Please take care of yourself & get well soon.

Bevanger 04-15-2009 08:12 AM

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 04-15-2009 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
MIL had it last year. I had a friend whose mother had shingles & when she was in the hospital, they brought her one of those wash basins full of ice & orange juice , cranberry juice & other acidey juices. Nurse told her to drink as many of these as she could a day. Something about the acid is suppose to help. You are scaring me. I had chicken poxs with a vengance when I was a kid. Please take care of yourself & get well soon.

OK...good. I had some OJ last night. I will have some more. Sorry to scare you, but I'm quite scared myself. If I really let myself think about it a lot, I start crying.

Cathy M 04-15-2009 08:53 AM

Yikes.... I hope you feel better soon! I had shingles this past winter, my right shoulder felt like it was on fire to the bone. I work in a hospital and went to our occupational health dept to get some 'exercises' to loosen up my stiff shoulder. Uh, I got sent home and told to stay away from work for a week. I think I slept the entire week. I still have pain in the bone just about everyday. Sleep, sleep, sleep- we will be here when you wake up :):)