Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I think I may cry (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-think-i-may-cry-t103793.html)

nativetexan 02-28-2011 09:18 AM

yep, have him uninstall Vista.

Ramona Byrd 02-28-2011 11:44 AM

My previous computer (hated it, got rid of it and got another Mac) had it, and I soon got to hating it. Took it to a computer shop to have good old Windows 98 put on it. They told me it wouldn't take 45 minutes or so, but it would take 2 weeks to do it. This didn't make sense till they showed me their back room with masses of computers lined up to get Vista killed and something else put on instead. It was so hated that I saw a $198.00 program at a big computer store so you could kill it at home. But are they STILL making Vista? Why? All it did was send masses of people straight to Macintosh computers.
I HATED Vista. Have a Mac now with Windows, but don't use it. Was a gift from my kids, WINDOWS used only for opening PPS.

Raggiemom 02-28-2011 12:12 PM

That's so frustrating! I find Windows 7 so much easier to use than Vista.

quilter1943 02-28-2011 12:15 PM

We had Vista on one computer and took it in and had them reload it with 7. Nothing is compatible with Vista. It was a pain. Hope you can get it all straightened out. Nothing so frustrating.

tuesy 02-28-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by many craft person
or scream - My computer crashed, son fixed it and loaded Vista on it. Now I can't get my printers to work, or my embroidery machine - I have gone crazy trying to find a cure. Maybe he will see if he can. I guess he just thought it would work

You might just need new drivers for your printers and emb. machine. I have Vista and although I balked at it first when I got it, even uninstalled it from my new then machine, it's been ok.. (knock on wood) I just had to get the new drivers for Vista for some of my things..

Rumbols 02-28-2011 12:24 PM

Just an fyi, don't try to remove it yourself with an over the counter product. Vista is the operation system or guts of your pc(the part that runs everything). I am not a pc person but I work with computers (IBM main frames) at work and it is too easy to trash your pc my messing with the operating system. My company refused to use Vista and for the past 3 or more years when they buy a pc, they always put on Windows XP. They are still testing Windows 7 but so far have favorable results. There, I put my two cents in, hope it helps.

hunters grammy 02-28-2011 12:35 PM

When I had my computer built, I stayed with XP. Computer builders told me to stay away from Vista because it had so many gliches and wasn't compatible with any other software that you might need to add to your computer. My computer does great. If I have to switch to another program, it would be Windows 7.

cathylynn 02-28-2011 01:13 PM

Vista user here and no problems in the 3 years I've had it.

hunters grammy 02-28-2011 01:37 PM

I was just real worried about Vista - We had XP at work and I really liked it and felt comfortable with it. There are a few people I know that have PC's with Vista, but they actually purchased printer and printer drivers at the same time and everything works okay. Glad to hear the positives about Vista....

JoyjoyMarie 03-01-2011 05:00 AM

I am so computer illiterate that I don't know if its the operating system or me that's having the trouble! But I think I'm happier with the XP than with my Vista laptop.