Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I may cry

or scream - My computer crashed, son fixed it and loaded Vista on it. Now I can't get my printers to work, or my embroidery machine - I have gone crazy trying to find a cure. Maybe he will see if he can. I guess he just thought it would work

I think that someone had the same problem and the embroidery software was not compatible with vista well at least some of the older stuff.

I HATE Vista! My laptop has Windows 7 on it and everything works just fine again!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I spent so much time fixing my Dad's printer problems when he had Vista, I made him get Windows 7. His printer would work fine for a day or two and then you had to reinstall the drivers. It nearly drove me over the edge.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried reinstalling your printer or embroidery machine? I hated VISTA at first, but I have gotten use to it and everything works fine.

Vista is awful!

np3
    Blog Entries
    I have Vista on both computers. Never had a problem with either one. Printers work fine.

Blog Entries
    Why did he load Vista since 7 is the latest version? Same experience with me - Vista was is and will always be the worst version of Windows IMHO! Once I went to 7, all was well again. Also if your software still doesn't work, call the company. All but one of my software packages had a patch to make it run on 7 - and one gentleman told me they never developed one for Vista!

thanks everyone - now I know at least it is not just me - Windows 7 is on here, so is Vista - I will just have to get my son the computer guru to sit down long enough to fix it

Blog Entries
    My embroidery software will not work with Vista or Windows 7. I had to load it on an old laptop. It does what I want. I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new version. Might look into Embird.

Blog Entries
    yep, have him uninstall Vista.

Blog Entries
    My previous computer (hated it, got rid of it and got another Mac) had it, and I soon got to hating it. Took it to a computer shop to have good old Windows 98 put on it. They told me it wouldn't take 45 minutes or so, but it would take 2 weeks to do it. This didn't make sense till they showed me their back room with masses of computers lined up to get Vista killed and something else put on instead. It was so hated that I saw a $198.00 program at a big computer store so you could kill it at home. But are they STILL making Vista? Why? All it did was send masses of people straight to Macintosh computers.
    I HATED Vista. Have a Mac now with Windows, but don't use it. Was a gift from my kids, WINDOWS used only for opening PPS.

That's so frustrating! I find Windows 7 so much easier to use than Vista.

We had Vista on one computer and took it in and had them reload it with 7. Nothing is compatible with Vista. It was a pain. Hope you can get it all straightened out. Nothing so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by many craft person
    or scream - My computer crashed, son fixed it and loaded Vista on it. Now I can't get my printers to work, or my embroidery machine - I have gone crazy trying to find a cure. Maybe he will see if he can. I guess he just thought it would work

You might just need new drivers for your printers and emb. machine. I have Vista and although I balked at it first when I got it, even uninstalled it from my new then machine, it's been ok.. (knock on wood) I just had to get the new drivers for Vista for some of my things..

Just an fyi, don't try to remove it yourself with an over the counter product. Vista is the operation system or guts of your pc(the part that runs everything). I am not a pc person but I work with computers (IBM main frames) at work and it is too easy to trash your pc my messing with the operating system. My company refused to use Vista and for the past 3 or more years when they buy a pc, they always put on Windows XP. They are still testing Windows 7 but so far have favorable results. There, I put my two cents in, hope it helps.

When I had my computer built, I stayed with XP. Computer builders told me to stay away from Vista because it had so many gliches and wasn't compatible with any other software that you might need to add to your computer. My computer does great. If I have to switch to another program, it would be Windows 7.

Blog Entries
    Vista user here and no problems in the 3 years I've had it.

I was just real worried about Vista - We had XP at work and I really liked it and felt comfortable with it. There are a few people I know that have PC's with Vista, but they actually purchased printer and printer drivers at the same time and everything works okay. Glad to hear the positives about Vista....

Blog Entries
    I am so computer illiterate that I don't know if its the operating system or me that's having the trouble! But I think I'm happier with the XP than with my Vista laptop.

Blog Entries
    Have him load windows 7. Much better then Vista. I couldn't get my embroidery program to compelely load in vista but had no porblem with 7

Quote Originally Posted by nabobw
    Have him load windows 7. Much better then Vista. I couldn't get my embroidery program to compelely load in vista but had no porblem with 7
    I don't know what on earth made him load Vista anyway. He said himself some time ago he did not like it.

I'm afraid we're becomming way too dependent on our computers. I'm holding my breath. Not sure I could function if my computer crashed!

Blog Entries
    I use a Vista lap top for my embroidery machine & I have had no problems. Check with your quilt shop & they can give you pointers. Mine said to turn off the firewall which my DH must have done because he got it going on his own, without any instructions from the quilt shop. Just a little niche & you'll be sewing in no time!

Blog Entries
    I would load Windows 7 and forget about the Vista. You may have to update some of the drivers for some programs when you do but it will be worth it.

Don't be shy about asking for help from the Microsoft people. They are very good. I had a few problems and they were solved quickly with info from them.

Also, if you have the opportunity to do live chats with technicians while doing this, use it! They will answer all your little "in between" questions that come up and even send you a copy transcript of the conversation. Just ask them and they will do it.

Good luck with everything.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast