Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I'm being bugged by this bug! Know what it is? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/im-being-bugged-bug-know-what-t129975.html)

jitkaau 06-13-2011 03:36 AM

We call them "stink bugs" - haven't got a more scientific name for you. Any usual pesticide should do it - so long as it doesn't kill you or the plants...

OmaForFour 06-13-2011 03:43 AM

IF you have the real stink bugs, try to get rid of them. They destroy apple trees.

justwannaquilt 06-13-2011 04:34 AM

It looks nothing like a stink bug, a box elder, or a june bug.

However it does look like a "lightning bug" more specific a Californian firefly just like the OP said! :)

aliaslaceygreen 06-13-2011 05:36 AM

I was thinking lightening bug?

countrycottage 06-13-2011 05:54 AM

Hope they don't decide to visit our town!

cjr5107 06-13-2011 06:05 AM

I love watching the fireflies at night My DGD has great memories of her and her Pappy in the summer nights waiting for it to get dark so they could go out and catch fireflies and put them in a mason jar, (if you can picture a little 3 year old and a 50 something old man dancing around the yard in their pj's trying to catch these things, that's a memory I will never forget) she would put them by her bed at night, used them as a night light. :-D Once my DH decided to let them go in the family room and turn all the lights out. What we won't do for our grandkids. :lol: :lol:

luvstoquilt 06-13-2011 06:08 AM

I think it is a box elder bug...I hate them and they are everywhere in Illinois is seems. I have a regular "bug man" and he cannot get rid to them. They love the sun and cover the walls of my porch ...disgusting!!!

virtualbernie 06-13-2011 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
We call them "stink bugs" - haven't got a more scientific name for you. Any usual pesticide should do it - so long as it doesn't kill you or the plants...

The stink bugs we have now have been resistant to bug sprays. I did find that wasp and hornet spray works though.

Selena 06-13-2011 07:03 AM

Looks like a love bug to me. Do they fly in pairs sometimes? If so, noises and vibration attracts them and they love light colored paint and will cover a wall. When they get smashed on your car, they damage the paint if you don't wash it right away. Generally they are a nuisance for about 2 weeks and then they are gone. You might try a bug zapper in a corner of your yard away from where you will be most.

Susanna10 06-13-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
Looks to me like what my students called a "stink bug". (That's because they smell when you step on them.) When I was little they were called box-elder bugs. I don't think they do anything, but they can be pesty.

Brings back old memories