Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   July 2012 Weight loss adventure with a prize!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/july-2012-weight-loss-adventure-prize-t193302.html)

Vanogay 07-08-2012 01:52 PM

Finally finished all errands - sometimes Sunday afternoon is the only day to do that - amazing how busy I've become since I retired. Don't know how I found time to work. Picked up some fabric today to start a Quilt of Valor quilt. I'm getting involved in that group. Will be fun. Very specific parameters for their quilts, though. Guess they need to keep them that way. Dinner is over and in a few minutes I need to go down the block to feed my neighbor's cat while she's oot. (my neighbor, not the cat). They perhaps I can actually look at the fabrics and patterns and get a plan formulated for next week - although time is very short then. Have Tuesday to sew and then nothing again till Friday afternoon. I need to tell my self - and everybody else, it seems that I am retired and need my time.....

nancia 07-08-2012 06:18 PM

well, i've got good news and bad news. good news first-- dh put new batteries in the scale, bad news--he didn't tell me till today, bad news--i've gained 5.6 lbs, good news--my nightgown must weigh 10 lbs. good news, i can always start over, darn it!! comes from high living and and heavy dressing. i'm gonna buy lighter nightclothes from now on!!
seriously, i have never had such a hard time focusing my mind on a task. i am happy to say i have finished my second tumbler top. i'm putting cuphooks under the moulding on the wall at the foot of the stairs. then i'm going to hang plastic and a vinyl tablecloth. i'm hoping i can spray baste a quilt (you know which one) and use the wall for a design wall. wish me luck! i don't have a lot of space anywhere else.
dh and i have spent the week end looking for a sofa. we think we want a reclining one so i can watch tv with my dh. we've had a hospital bed in the family room for months and i really think it's time for it to go! i'll be dropping it off at the sa tomorrow. found one-- a sofa- i love that you would never know was a recliner! and a matching chair, that also reclines. they're missing headrests, and without them it's not a recliner. so it all comes down to finding headrests. otherwise, i'll be looking for some other sofa. i will definitely need to scour the internet! maybe i can do that instead of eating! lol

Pam H 07-08-2012 07:49 PM

Nancia, good luck with the design wall. I love mine.
My daughter is in the nausea part of her pregnancy. (6 weeks) The only thing that sounds good for her to eat is - you guessed it - ice cream. I will have to keep a good supply in the freezer for her until she moves into her apartment in 2 weeks. My plan is to start on the 17 day diet after she moves. It is pretty impossible while she is here.
This evening from my garden I picked some green beans, banana peppers, 2 zucchini and 2 pea pods. There were also 2 grape tomatoes that tasted like candy. The deer are getting as much from the garden as I am. It is pretty fun to drive into town to see what is ready. I could have a ton of green onions if I wanted those too. The radishes are done.
Maybe tomorrow I can get back to doing some sewing. I have several quilt tops waiting to be quilted. That can be pretty fun if everything is going well.

meanmom 07-09-2012 03:44 AM

I had an awesome time in Hilton Head. It was really hot but we had breezes off of the ocean so it was OK. We did water aerobics every morning, went kayaking for 2 hours once and did several bike rides. Unfortunately I gained 2 pounds. I guess it could have been worse. I haven't seen my SIL in over a year. She was very impressed with my weight loss. NOw it is back to reality and eating right, cleaning etc:-( I am making a shop sample for the LQs of the new Hoopsisters project "The Whole Earth." I have been wanting to make it ever since they advertised it. I am trying to sew on my other machine while it embroiders out.
We usually have tons of tomatoes from the garden by now. MY DH kept complaining that his tomato plants look awful. We finally figured out the company sent us the wrong seeds. INstead of regular big tomatoes they are some small variety that grows in a clump. I am going to contact the company and raise some hell today.

Pam 304 07-09-2012 09:15 AM

Sorry about the taboo. Was out of power for 9 hot hot hot days. Got power back last night around 6 p.m. Never so glad to see a light bulb turn on.
Pam S

nancia 07-09-2012 10:19 AM

oh, pam! so sorry you had to go thru that! if i were you i would fill the tub with water and ice cubes and just chill! perhaps a cold wine spritzer, too. my sister just threw away hundreds of dollars worth of spoiled food. she lives in dc and was without power friday thru wednesday, and i thought that was bad! i feel almost guilty enjoying my a/c. glad things are working now for you!

noveltyjunkie 07-09-2012 03:22 PM

I am lurking, but want to vote for the braid with the paler colour included- it looks sparkly and crystal-ish to me, which just says Christmas. I think your work might be lost on the one on theright, because there is not so much value contrast.

I am looking forward to Christmas already. (And to eating healthily at Chrismas ;-)
Good luck to everyone who is participating this month!

Originally Posted by Everose (Post 5344221)

Working on a UFO and I need advice. I am doing a braided border because it needed something. On the right is just the 4 fabrics from the squares. On the left is the 4 fabrics plus the one I used for a small border. Which would you go with?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]347176[/ATTACH]

Eating hasn't been to bad the last days. I did have a small loss and if I can keep this up it will be great. I am still adding extra fiber to meals and finally seems to be working. So take care and be good to you!!!

meanmom 07-10-2012 03:06 PM

I saw a former co-worker today that I haven't seem in almost a year. She called me skinny-minnie. While that is really far from true, it is nice to have someone notice that I have lost:-)

brenda21 07-10-2012 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by meanmom (Post 5354422)
I saw a former co-worker today that I haven't seem in almost a year. She called me skinny-minnie. While that is really far from true, it is nice to have someone notice that I have lost:-)

that's so awesome...good for you:thumbup:

Pam 304 07-10-2012 06:24 PM

Taboo Tues: Should have done it when I was on yesterday...... my mind isn't what it use to be. This week eat green beans.... not very orginial...... but I lost all fresh veggies so have to restock and that is going to be expensive. Was in Wally world today and it isn't restocked either. We had Sheetz ice trucks robbed at gun point and other ice truck the driver was beat with a tire iron and a woman broke in and beaten and tied up and generators, uhaul trucks for the gas, they took the gas out of the water co. generator and we lost water. Some still don't have power.
PamS