Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   July 2012 Weight loss adventure with a prize!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/july-2012-weight-loss-adventure-prize-t193302.html)

irishrose 07-12-2012 11:06 AM

nanci, your colors are great together. M installed Google Chrome on my computer and so far I don't like it. Did your computer go down Monday when the virus block that the gov't put on expired? I checked mine prior to that the quick scan said it was clean.

Konnie, I'd be concerned about turning the corners with piping. I was happy enough when I was able to miter mine. I have not tried sandwiching one yet, just a narrow binding.

I want a lazy day. I was up late and got up early. the girls are off to Traverse City to see the Ultimate Dog competition. It's part of the national Cherry Festival. I have to keep busy so I don't worry about their driving in that traffic. M was told by both her father and me, "When you drive the old lady's car, you drive like an old lady." Her response, "But, Daddy, Grandma has a lead foot." Guilty as charged, but only when it's appropriate - not in close situations and I have more hands on the wheel. She'd like to drive a nearly 4000 car with one finger. We won't go into waiting too long to hit the brakes, IMO. Anyway, I will be glad to see their faces tonight.

I am out of practice planning meals. I don't know what's for dinner and it's almost three o'clock. I'll worry about it after my nap. My weight is still screwy - up and down almost 5 pounds in a day, but at least it's in the same range - maybe down a bit over all.

Off to go on a hunt for 2 1/2 strips. Another GS is being deployed. I have to have his quilt done by the 12th of August so everything else except my Dr app'ts and my ex-husband's Dr app'ts is on hold. Oh, and M's Michigan graduation party.

Enjoy your green beans, eat clean, drink water and move your body. I didn't get the dogs out until nearly 11:00 last night, but we made it.

meanmom 07-12-2012 01:31 PM

We are having green beans for dinner for the third time this week. We had a batch get ripe this week. Good timing. Tonight I cooked a big pot with potatoes and a smoked turkey leg. MMMMMM! There should be enough left for lunch the next couple of days. I should have had enough beans to can but with it being over 100 degrees the last couple of weeks they just didn't produce like they should.
I was craving chocolate ice cream. I should have just ate it because I ate a ton of other stuff instead.
Konnie, I never thought about piping on the edge of the spiral. It would probably work and be easier than trying to do binding. Maybe I will try that on my next one.

Konnie 07-13-2012 04:56 AM

meanmom, turn about is a good thing. You are going to try piping on the swirl and I will try a smoked turkey leg in my green beans and potatoes. For someone who was raised on hillbilly cooking this might be a huge challenge. Although I have pretty much given up ham products. Stay cool and hydrated today.

meanmom 07-13-2012 06:33 AM

Konnie, I was raised on cottage ham in my geen beans. It is expensive and fatty, but yummy. I started using a smoked turkey leg 3 years ago. I remove the skin as best I can. Much lower in fat and calories. My family never knew what they were eating for almost 2 years until my DH caught me removing the turkey leg from the pot one time. He told me it wouldn't be any good. I informed him he had been eating it for almost 2 years. He doesn't like change. Now he requests it because he likes it and it is cheap. Lots of sneaky ways to remove the fat from foods. Just don't tell the family until they have eaten it and told you how good it was. I also feed my family homemade turkey sausage, they don't have a clue. Makes delicious biscuits and gravy. I haven't found a good low fat biscuits yet. Still trying.

Vanogay 07-13-2012 11:29 AM

Glad this week is over. We have been feeding the visiting mission teams that come to our area of Appalachia to help out the less fortunate. They are here for a full week and we feed them through our church breakfast and dinner that week. I have been helping at the breaksfasts, but that means I have been eating bigger breakfasts than normal, too. Today was the last and now it's back to dry toast and juice. Of course, I'll have to retrain my stomach - it'll be looking for a waffle and grits or eggs and grits, or other heavy foods. The scale has tipped the wrong way too. Tonight it's chicken breasts baked with mixed vegtables in cream of celery soup. Sounds good, let's hope it tastes good. the weather is cooler, enjoy while you can everyone.

Everose 07-13-2012 02:06 PM

Van, chicken breast baked with mixed veggies in cream of celery soup sounds wonderful. Don't have a clue what I'm making for supper tonight. Last night we had grilled cheese sandwiches and the night before fried eggs, bacon and toast. Haven't wanted to start the oven with the heat outside, but I'm running out of ideas.

My brother came today. First time I've seen him in almost 15 years. I had dreaded it because he was always "Mr. Beautiful" and I was always "Miss Ugly and Fat". This is the first time he has been to see Mom in Bismarck which will be 13 - 15 years. But he said he had to come because he was getting mixed messages about Mom. She was very allert the last time he talked to her, but while he was here he saw the true picture. Maybe it helped that his FIL just passed away from Alzheimer's. Now he sees what is happening and can understand a little better.

The scale is still down from first of month but yesterday after his call, I "ate" my frustrations. So on a better level today. Life... can still be very hard after all these years. Old messages still hurt.

So now I'm a better person than I was and I can focus on me and what's good for me and my family. Remember, be good to YOU - drink lots of fluids in this heat.

irishrose 07-13-2012 07:07 PM

Everose, our families can play such havoc with our emotions. Do take care of yourself.

Anyone have any energy pills? I took my ex husband 50 miles to see a nice young Dr in Traverse City to decide how to deal with his recurring cancer. Then I took my granddaughters home 80 miles in the other direction. In between, I transported a friend from dialysis to her home. The girls will return Sunday for the oldest one's Michigan graduation open house. I have a million things to do and no energy. M and her friend will stay with me again next week as my son has to return to work in S Ohio. And I need to do the quilt for my deploying GS. Help! I think I will go to bed early and sleep as long as I want, then get to work. So good night.

nancia 07-13-2012 09:12 PM

judy==i know i have no business saying this, and i'm already slapping my face so you won't have to, but could you put the ex- back in ex-husband and let his support staff get him to appointments? just seems to me that would take a huge drain off you. you are responsible for you, and not him any more. that's a choice you both made and agreed to, and i don't see him helping you. i know....i'll go back to my corner by the fireplace, lol.

di--whatever old messages there are are still in your memory, and maybe they just don't fit anymore! whenever i see you, you are beautiful, and kind and a wonderful daughter. your brother has had the chance to see this and understand what a large burden you have been carrying for the family. hopefully he will be more willing to be some support. and if your mother says hurtful things, shrug them off. she literally does not know what she's talking about! be good to you, and accept the positive changes!!

about purplemem-- she is going through a hard time and she and her dh could definitely benefit from good thoughts, and those who choose to, prayers. she and her dh are both sick. thanks

nancia 07-13-2012 09:27 PM

judy-- i don't think i was affected at all. i've had continuous norton protection! does anyone have an i-pad? i need to get my new one set up. wish me luck! i am almost totally computer/electronic challenged!!

Pam H 07-13-2012 10:10 PM

I haven't gotten any notices for a few days and thought everyone was too busy to post. Seems to be a lot going on.
nancia, I 2nd everything you just said and thanks for the update on purplemem. I was wondering about her and will be praying for her.
We have an offer on our Texas house. They seem to think it is some kind of game with the counter offers. I don't like it much. They want us to give up everything and they won't give an inch. Such is life. We'll see what tomorrow turns up when they hear our latest counter offer.
I need to make another trip to town to pick my green beans that s/b ready. A week ago I planted another row but it has been so darn dry that I don't know if they will make it. I have another seed packet ready to plant. Love those green beans!
Amber has her 1st dr visit and ultrasound on monday. We'll see how this grand baby is doing and when (she) is due. I think it is a girl! They are waiting until the birth to find out.