Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Just want some tea and sympathy for my black eye..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-want-some-tea-sympathy-my-black-eye-t152082.html)

Jory 09-12-2011 02:51 PM

I fell at the end of January, and had to have 12 stitches over my left eye. It has taken months for the swelling to go down, and I still have a small bump under the scar.

One thing I learned is to put sun screen on the scar. Apparently the healed tissue can darken significantly if exposed to the sun.

The other thing I learned is that I tore my rotator cuff when I fell. It didn't feel like much at the time, so I ignored it, hoping it would go away. (Bad decision!) Eventually had to have 3 months of physical therapy!

So my advice is: pay attention to other aches and pains you notice. Falling causes the body to move in different ways, and sometimes very suddenly!

Jory

RobertaMarie 09-12-2011 07:12 PM

I am so sorry you fell and hurt yourself. I once fell in a parking lot, skinned my knees, hands, chin, and broke my glasses, giving me a big purple "mouse" under my eye. I went to my doctor and she asked if my husband hit me!! ( No, I laughed, because he is the sweetest guy alive.) It took a week or more for the swelling and bruising to go away. I used castor oil on it and it helped dissipate the bruised blood and took away the pain. As we age (I am getting pretty old) we just don't heal as quickly as we once did. Take care and be well. Blessings to you.

auniqueview 09-12-2011 08:54 PM

My husband and I do photograph...tho not as much now as when we were younger. We were out in an area where the eagles wintered up north, and it was cold, icy, etc. I was wearing a snowmobile suit and had a thick backpack with camera gear on my back. We walked up the stairs to the observation deck to look over the river. No problem.

But, as we started down the other side...where the sun had not melted the ice, I slipped and fell all the way down the flight of stairs, dh running behind me screaming. I ended up at the bottom of the flight, one leg stuck thru the railing. He wanted to know if I was okay. (My sil said that was true love...he asked about me before the cameras).

I did go to the doctor to get checked out, had a few bruises, not too bad. However, lol, three weeks later, my backside was still sore, and when I looked in the mirror, there was this perfect hand print shaped bruise right on my posterior. I went back to the doc and asked WHY NOW? He told me it was a good thing he knew both of us so well, lol, or he would have to report this bruise,...just the right size for dh's hand. Apparently a deep tissue bruise can take weeks to show up. Me too, glad the doc knew us well. But it does explain why some bruises don't show up until a while later.

EasyPeezy 09-12-2011 10:45 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. Wishing you a prompt recovery. <Big hug>

jane65us 09-13-2011 07:21 PM

I got a bloody nose one day, just out of the blue.. couldn't get it to stop so Hubby called 911 and the medics couldn't get it to stop either, so off to the ER we went.. and the ER Doc said... Hmmmm are you Happy at home LOL he thought My DH caused the bloody nose.. hehehe..... Hope you feel better soon..

Prism99 09-13-2011 07:31 PM

Well, I must say some of the stories here have made me feel like less of a klutz. Was able to take a shower and wash my hair today, and got rid of the gauze bandages on my hands. Seem to be healing well; it's just that the eye looks really black and blue! I get the stitches out of my eyebrow tomorrow, eye exam for new glasses a week from Friday. Guess I'm on my way....... :D

Dee G 09-13-2011 07:39 PM

So sorry for your accident. Hope you feel better real soon. My answer to everything is ice-cream! Have all you want!

ging10ging 09-14-2011 05:54 PM

speedy recovery. hope you didn't hurt your eyes any. take care. sue

Arleners 09-15-2011 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You have my complete sympathy. I am sitting here having some Mango tea with honey for you.

This is what sorry looks like
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256886[/ATTACH]

NauDeeGal 09-15-2011 02:10 AM

I am sorry that you got hurt trying to keep in shape. I have a weird suggestion for the swelling that my aunt always used for what she called her eye bags and it worked. Preparation H will take the swelling down. Just make sure not to get it in the eye itself. My aunt would just dab a little on like a concealer type of makeup.