Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Just what I needed, flooding... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/just-what-i-needed-flooding-t139614.html)

alwayslearning 07-24-2011 09:22 AM

So very sorry you have to go through this. Have you been photographing everything in case you file a claim? So much to think about. Hugs.

Tink's Mom 07-24-2011 04:37 PM

I've been taking pictures...but, we don't think that we are going to file a claim...we had to file a claim last fall for the roof, and I'm afraid that another claim will make our rates go sky high.
I have been listing items...and if you consider what others have had to deal with...this is not that bad.
A neighbor down the block had 2 feet of water in there basement...lost all the furniture, TV, computer, mattress from her son's room...she had sewer water, not clear.

auntiehenno 07-24-2011 05:21 PM

I am so sorry you had to under go this mess. Hope this are better now. Hugs.

Helen

sassey 07-24-2011 05:23 PM

I live in a basement apartment and have flooded 3 times in last 4 years but dont complain much cuz I live rent free and son comes down and cleans it all up for me. Finally put in sump pump

Quilter7x 07-24-2011 05:32 PM

Sorry you're going through this Susie. Although it will cost you money to replace the items, I think you're smart not submitting an insurance claim. Hope you get it all cleaned up fast.

coachmatthewsvhs 07-24-2011 05:51 PM

I wish you dryer weather and some very good luck to balance this event!

Jingle 07-24-2011 05:58 PM

Our Daughter and Family had a basement flood a few weeks ago, water main breaking in their front yard. DSIL diverted the water around the house to a drain he had installed years ago. They spent most of the night getting the water out. Their basement is part of the house and they sucked the water out with a shop vac, used fans and always use a dehumidifier. Water company took their sweet time calling someone in to dig to replace the broken valve, late Sat. night. Some carpet got ruined, water company hasn't said anything about compensation and doubt they will.

Tink's Mom 07-25-2011 07:35 PM

I washed the floors again today...it is still stinky in the closet...I have to figure out what is the problem.
Went and bought 2 new rugs for the family room...just bought bound rugs at Home Depot....after the cost for the flood control, I couldn't afford anything better. They will probably have to be replaced in a couple years.
Didn't get anything for hubby's bedroom yet.
Had to haul a few more things out today...they just can't be saved.

nursie76 07-25-2011 07:41 PM

Oh Susie, I am sooooo sorry you had to have this happen to you. I wish I lived closer, I could help you clean up, many hands make the task lighter. Now I know you want to get everything cleaned up and back it place, but you take it easy and rest in between cleaning bouts...don't want your fibro to act up and lay you low. I will be praying for you. {{{HUGS}}}

Peckish 07-25-2011 09:11 PM

It's probably wise not to file a claim - as someone else said, unless you have flood coverage they probably won't pay. My neighbor had a pipe that dripped for a year under the sink in a bathroom that didn't get much use. She had to replace the cabinet and floor. The insurance denied her claim because they called it "flood damage" - good grief.