Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   kitchen aid classic food mixer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kitchen-aid-classic-food-mixer-t208181.html)

Jingle 12-11-2012 09:16 AM

I only have a small mixer. I stir bread and cookie dough the old fashioned way.

quiltingcandy 12-11-2012 09:19 AM

I love mine. Have had it 11 years now. I do have the 4.5 quart size. My husband got it for me for Christmas way back when and have used it since. It is heavy so we leave it on the counter but I got rid of my hand mixer and bought several attachments. I like the grater - a hole pound of cheese in less than a minute. Also have the grinder, because I can apple sauce and we like it very fine, no lumps. They come with the standard mixing beater, the bread hook and a whip. If you make merengue or whipped cream - you have to be careful because it beats so fast you could end up with butter.

Check QVC - they get terrific deals. Enjoy!

romanojg 12-11-2012 09:20 AM

Love, love, love mine. I've had it for a number of yrs and its still going strong. Last yr when my daughter moved out I asked her if she wanted it (because I needed a reason to buy a newer one in color) she said no. This yr trying to make homemade cookies and cakes and she has decided she really did need one. I can't afford one now so I told her she could borrow mine once I was done but its so funny how she did a turn about. I've tried others but none have stood up like this one. By the way, did I tell you how I really love mine.

BellaBoo 12-11-2012 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 5713233)
I only have a small mixer. I stir bread and cookie dough the old fashioned way.

My grandmother told me the old fashioned way was just a pretty way to say the hardest way ever to do anything.

raynhamquilter 12-11-2012 09:44 AM

Love it! Have used it for years and wouldn't change. Gave one to my niece for her wedding shower 17 years ago and hers if going strong--she makes wedding cakes and frostings and everything. Go for it. You'll wonder how you lived without it. And the whipped cream is delish!

Chasing Hawk 12-11-2012 12:00 PM

I want one so bad too. I don't have the counter space or cabinet space to keep one.

drgranny 12-11-2012 12:59 PM

When I got married in 1956 my dad told momma to buy me the current modle of this mixer. It cost $65 which was about a weeks pay at that time. Momma had one of them too. We both used them up. My husband bought me a new blue one about 15 years ago. Then I found a red one at a garage sale for $50. I bought it of course. I love those mixers. All of my daughters have one. You just can't beat them. The originals we had were still working when my DH bought me the blue one. I finally donated them to Goodwill. Hated to let them go but they were just taking up space. Hope someone got a bit more from them.

Prism99 12-11-2012 03:50 PM

Mine is '70s yellow because that's when I bought it! My bet is the newer ones have stronger motors than mine, but mine still does everything I need it to just fine.

If I were to buy a new one, I'd get the bigger one where you raise and lower the bowl. Mine has the head that raises and lowers, and I would just like to have more room when I am adding flour. (I don't recommend getting the plastic shield they used to sell for flour; I prefer wrapping a kitchen towel around the mixer and bowl.)

QuiltnNan 12-11-2012 04:39 PM

i love mine. the only thing i don't like is that it's difficult to dump more flour in while the machine is running.

JeannieT 12-11-2012 04:47 PM

I have one too and love it !! I have to admit I did just go buy a small hand mixer for quickie jobs, since the Kitchen Aid is so heavy but don't have a single complaint on it. Got it off Craigslist for $100 and it was like new and had all the attachments. Go for it!!