Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   kitchen aid classic food mixer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kitchen-aid-classic-food-mixer-t208181.html)

Eva Knight 12-11-2012 04:52 PM

I've had mine for about 35 years. Still a work horse. Don't know hwat I would do without it.

HouseDragon 12-11-2012 06:27 PM

I bought mine in 1965. It's still going strong.

It went with us to Germany in the early 70s. It went with us to Austria where it ran on a transformer for 21 years.

It has its own spot of honor on the counter top.

Best buy ever!
:)

Quilting Grandma 12-11-2012 06:37 PM

By all means go for it. Mine is over 40 years old, never a problem with it --- providing you don't count the time my 10 year old DD got her waist long red hair in it --- the mixer did ok, her head not so much. Lesson learned --- always pull your hair back before using the machine.
You will love it.

sewingsuz 12-11-2012 06:40 PM

I love mine, They are so strong you could mix cement with it. I have all those goodie attachments. I can wash the apples and cut them up with stems and skin and cook them a little and then put them in this attachment thingie and all the skin and stuff comes out one bowl and applesauce comes out the other. You can add Sugar and Cinnamon if you like or make apple butter. You can do this with alot of stuff. I have the pasta maker and made fabulous homemade noodles. I have made at least 25 dozen cookies in the last few weeks and the mixer helps alot. Creams the sugar and butter so good.

barny 12-11-2012 06:44 PM

I have one too. I have had it for so long, it is green, that should tell you. I mix cookies, I grind my own hamburger meat also. Get a good chuck roast and have no bones in it. Ever get what you thought was a bone in your hamburger? Hmmm?

gzuslivz 12-11-2012 07:51 PM

I love mine. Sure, I wish I had a lime green one. But I am really happy with my plain old white one. Get it and you will never regret it:)

arlene banken 12-12-2012 03:49 AM

I looooove. Mine i have had mine for 38 years wouldnt part with it for anything. They are the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!

patricej 12-12-2012 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5714100)
i love mine. the only thing i don't like is that it's difficult to dump more flour in while the machine is running.

you can buy a bowl attachment to make that easier.
i don't have one, but if i used my mixer a lot, i think it would be worth the investment.

P.S. mine is at least 30 years old. sat in my dad's basement for a very long time. probably at least 20 years. i brought it home, cleaned it up, fired it up, and it works like i took it out of the box yesterday. :)

2manyhobbies 12-12-2012 04:28 AM

My six quart Kitchen Aid is 50 years old(it was on our farm in Mom's kitchen). All we have had to replace is the cord. After year's of use and teaching 4-H cooking classes, the cord couldn't take it any more. It is worth every penny, even if you don't cook for a large group.

callen 12-12-2012 04:36 AM

Wouldn't be without mine but make sure you have counter space for it. It is quite heavy & you won't want to haul it out from somewhere other than your counter to use it. The only drawback that I have seen is they are not made quite the same as the older models. The newer beaters (for bread etc.) are not coated as the ones in the past have been. The regular wire beaters are the same though. Like with so many other things, "you get what you pay for".