Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   kitchen flooring...wood or ceramic tiles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kitchen-flooring-wood-ceramic-tiles-t160723.html)

Marysewfun 10-16-2011 10:25 AM

There are different styles of ceramic tiles - yes, some are so slippery that a drop of water could be hazardous (had in our first house bathroom - never again) - but in this house in the country we have a slightly rough tile that surprisingly is easy to clean and don't have to worry about someone coming in with wet or muddy feet from the rain, or a spill in the kitchen.

Marysewfun

Charming 10-16-2011 10:29 AM

Since we bought our house we had laminate wood in the whole house installed and i love the warm look of it. I like to walk with barefeet at home and having the wood makes it so much warmer. It is also so easy to clean.

majormom 10-16-2011 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
There are different styles of ceramic tiles - yes, some are so slippery that a drop of water could be hazardous (had in our first house bathroom - never again) - but in this house in the country we have a slightly rough tile that surprisingly is easy to clean and don't have to worry about someone coming in with wet or muddy feet from the rain, or a spill in the kitchen.

Marysewfun

Now that's the kind of tile to have if you want tile floors! But I still like wood. To each his own I guess!

collady 10-16-2011 11:54 AM

I am going to use cork on my kitchen floor when we redo it next summer.

3incollege 10-16-2011 11:57 AM

I have wood, but, I wish bamboo is the thing. Ceramic would be hard to stand on.

TexasSunshine 10-16-2011 12:12 PM

We put ceramic tile all over the house except the bedrooms and I love it. It is so easy to take care of. I am going to take carpet out of the master bedroom and put tile down in there.

SeamRipper 10-16-2011 12:21 PM

The real question is, "Do you like your dishes?" If you have been wishing for a new set...by all means go with tile! If you do go with tile then go the extra mile and add the radiant floor heat. Cold tile is awful in the morning, in the afternoon, and in the evening.
If you are looking at stained concrete check out Pioneer Woman's blog. She redid their lodge a few years back and blogged each step. I remember something about stained concrete.
Good luck!

mopec 10-16-2011 12:23 PM

Wood is beautiful but not as practical but because of leaks, etc I went with the wood floor laminate plank look. I love it and it is definitely easy to care for and things will "bounce" when dropped more than if you have ceramic tile. Ceramic tile forgives nothing and it will also crack. I have tile in my foyer, bathrooms and utility and love it but never in my kitchen. Tile is also harder on your feet and legs if you have problems. I have real wood in my dining room and I will say it is far "warmer" and prettier. Good luck on making your choices. I am so glad my choice making is over at least for now.

nancy59 10-16-2011 12:39 PM

Having the tiles in my bathrooms, I can tell you if you drop anything, you can crack them easily. Yep, I am a clutz, would go with the wood.

davis2se 10-16-2011 12:57 PM

Tile for the kitchen is my opinion. It is not at all forgiving if you drop something breakable, but it can stand spills MUCH better than hardwood. We have tile in the kitchen in our FL house, and hardwood in the MI house. I've pretty much covered the hardwood with runners and throws...........