Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   kitchen flooring...wood or ceramic tiles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kitchen-flooring-wood-ceramic-tiles-t160723.html)

Mommomjoann 10-17-2011 05:56 PM

We have white tile in our kitchen with cream grout, love it!!!! Even after 10 years it still looks like new.

Buzzy Bee 10-17-2011 06:07 PM

I have had both.....Wood is my favorite.....I would never have ceramic tile again....

Buzzy Bee 10-17-2011 06:07 PM

I have had both.....Wood is my favorite.....I would never have ceramic tile again....

Cosy 10-17-2011 06:08 PM

There is a product called Allure, sold by Home Depot that is vinyl, but looks so much like stone or wood it is really uncanny. It comes in strips so it is really easy to install, cushiony so it is forgiving. If it gets damaged, you only have to replace the damaged strips. I put it in the kitchen and dining room; the rest of the house is hardwood. Great product.

butterflywing 10-18-2011 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
might also ad my kitchen is very small, barely 10' sq and it is stark white...with blue tinted walls and a yellow counter top..(that also might be changed) and a yellow sink! my colors are blue/white/yellow..go figure..hehehe

my kitchen is almost exactly your kitchen in reverse with white countertops. i love it. we painted that strip of wall between the cabinets cobalt blue and got medium blue tiles. we got around the grout problem with grey grout.

edit: we had wood in the last house and spent time and money refinishing the floor every 2 - 3 years. no more wood in my kitchens. and no more waxing kitchen floors, either.

Barbm 10-18-2011 01:51 PM

have tile in the kitchen/dining area. Quite unforgiving but contractor says I will only have to change it in 50 years. Works for me. Corelle dishes don't break and I'm the only one allowed to touch my crystal so it won't get broke.

Family room is hardwood, replaced carpet 2 years ago. Love it! Looking to replace the carpet in the formal living room and office to the same wood.

Foyer and hallway are "builder grade" tile. It's OK but not "classy". Someday I'll replace it, but I have a feeling it will last forever too.

I love the tile, it is cold but the dogs like to lay on it in the summer to cool off. Radiant flooring would be great if you can afford it and the floor is ripped up.

tuesy 10-18-2011 01:58 PM

I want to do cork. Have read and heard it holds up wonderfully...

jillnjo 10-18-2011 02:15 PM

There is so much to know about all the different floorings and the varying quality from product to product. Also, the installer you get is a real important part of it, too. Cheap tile is no comparison to good quality tile. Our SIL is a tilelayer and you would not believe how some floors and showers are constructed! They will rot and be a terrible mess down the road if not properly installed. I say this because the heartache of a big expensive mistake is terrible and it happens a lot. I have lots of tile and love it, but it has it drawbacks, too. I especially notice that I can't go barefoot on it or stand without throw rugs under my feet at sinks,ect., because it is really hard! But when I was young it might not have mattered.

dotski 10-18-2011 03:26 PM

i have those tiles in my bedroom in washed oak color... they are the best. look of wood without the care.

mayday 10-20-2011 09:04 AM

tiles all the time, wood in kitchens is impractical and can be unhygenic.