Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   lavender linen oil, homemade (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lavender-linen-oil-homemade-t39762.html)

Heyloz 11-16-2010 09:26 PM

I use it to press all my fabrics before I begin cutting out my quilt. It adds body to the fabric without the residue that spray starch leaves EVERYWHERE. :?

scoobertina 11-16-2010 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Vodka for ironing you fabric?? Forget that, freeze the water, put the cubes in a glass and pour the vodka over that! Use the vinegar and water to clean the coffee pot!!

LoL!!!!!

clem55 11-17-2010 05:26 AM

I just brought in dried lavendar from a plant in my yard. I wonder if I could make scented water using that. Any suggestions?

Matilda 11-17-2010 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by farnsworth
so I have seen this that you can use in your iron that you can buy and they are pricey but I just found this recipe
2 cups distilled water
2 ounces vodka
20 drops lavender essential oil

and it makes me think can you use other essential oils? Does anyone know?

Thank you for the recipe. I thought it had vodka in it.

hazeljane 11-17-2010 06:28 AM

The simple answer is no. Processing lavender oil, or distilling lavender water is not a home process. However, you can make lavender eye pillows out of your buds, and they are heavenly. I sell both lavender pillow spray and lavender eye pillows that I make myself. My lavender spray also contains hydrosol (distilled lavender water, which is spendy- about $100. gallon.) But you don't need it, it just deepens the scent a bit.

Putting lavender buds in water just gets you soggy buds and dirty water- which I would not put anywhere near an iron. Lavender essential oil can be bought in any health food or natural food store. I get mine at Whole Foods. And make sure it is essential oil, not "fragrance oil" which is diluted with cheap oil. A small bottle of essential oil will last you for years, if all you are doing is making linen water with it. And as discussed earlier in the thread- a little cheap vodka or grain alcohol allows the oil to dissipate in the water.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by clem55
I just brought in dried lavendar from a plant in my yard. I wonder if I could make scented water using that. Any suggestions?

hazeljane 11-17-2010 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by clem55

check out my lavender eye pillows- really simple to make- I make them about 4X10 1/2 inches. Fill with 1 1/2 cups of flax seed, and a cup of lavender. Should only be about 1/2 full. (If they are overfilled, they do not contour to your eyes as well, more like balancing something on your nose.) They make great gifts, and I can't live without mine.

http://www.artfire.com/users/hazeljane

clem55 11-17-2010 08:05 AM

thanksfor that information! I'll probably use it for sachets , but the eye pillows sound good too. Again, thanks.

franie 11-17-2010 10:14 AM

Love it!

Vodka for ironing you fabric?? Forget that, freeze the water, put the cubes in a glass and pour the vodka over that! Use the vinegar and water to clean the coffee pot!!

RkayD 11-17-2010 10:24 AM

HaHaHa! I thought close to the same thing! Vodka and ironing...my kinda day. But seriously....don't drink & iron..You might burn something. =)

This just goes to prove to me once again...Quilter's make the best friends as we all have the best sense of humor. =)

wannaquilt1 09-07-2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Bad part about it is that the Vodka would never make it to the iron!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And I cant do Cheap Vodka :(

All my Vodka goes into my wife and I usually mixed with Gin, Rum, Whiskey, Triple Sec, a splash of Sweet and Sour mix and a touch of Cola for color......Can we say "Long Island Tea" :thumbup:

Billy

my favorite drink!!!! woo hoo.... that made me laugh by the way LOL