Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lets-hear-some-pet-peeves-probably-been-done-before-t33848.html)

scrappylouisa 01-12-2010 06:46 AM

My pet peeve is grocery baggers. I hate having my food and non-food items stuffed in the same bag. I recently had Irish Spring soap put in the same bag as my bread.......when I asked the young lady to place the soap in another bag she copped an attitude! I politely told her that I would rather bag my own groceries. She looked and me and said, "Whatever!". She went to the next checkout area and started throwing anything and everything in the bags to fill them.

Debra Mc 01-12-2010 06:49 AM

Most stores teach checkers not to put chemicals in with food. Guess she was absent that day.

peabee 01-12-2010 07:36 AM

DOG OWNERS WHO LEAVE THEIR DOG CRAP FOR MY KIDS TO STEP IN MAKING MY HOUSE AS FILTHY AS THEY ARE

Lisanne 01-12-2010 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie

Originally Posted by JJs
I think I have another pet peeve - in fact, I know I do.... atrocious spelling and incorrect English!

For some CRAZY reason, we are no longer teaching spelling in upper grade levels. We are not allowed to drill grammar at all. Worksheets to teach punctuation, capitalization, and syntax are a thing of the past. I am so disgusted with how limited I am in being able to teach my students proper grammatical skills.

I agree, but I've resigned myself to the fact that most of the world does not care.

You say you're no longer allowed to teach lessons on grammar and punctuation in the upper grades. Back in the mid-'70s, when I was in high school, we had one last class on this, and then it was literature and academic-type composition. The composition teacher would put errors from students' papers on the board to use as teaching examples. For example, she's spend a few minutes explaining subject-verb agreement by using a sentence from someone's paper where it was incorrect. No worksheets, though you could make some up and hand them out individually to students needing extra help in those areas.

It does grate on me, especially when I see it on business signs and in professional writing.

minnow895 01-12-2010 07:48 AM

i agree with dog owner to go a little further on that one i am a resposiable dog owner when taking dogs out of the yard for a walk i carry small bags to throw in the trash i cant stand other dog owners that just let there dogs run and they get in my dog fence and take my dogx toys and chew bones it is expensive to replace thaqt stuff my dogs a small theres are large they could hurt my dogs so i had to get a taller fence more expense

pittsburgpam 01-12-2010 09:46 AM

My pet peeve is also incorrect English. I may sometimes make mistakes but I know there is a difference between your and you're, and there, their, and they're.

I cringe when I read, "it peaked my interest." ARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 01-12-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
My only pet peeve is children who are holy little terrors! Especially the ones who run around stores throwing tantrums, screaming and wreaking havoc.

Makes me want to smack the parents! lol

YES!!!!! OMG!
I'm sure my children won't be perfect, but JEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS, get a grip on your kids!
More than once I've had to stop children from running around like monsters in my store and tell them this isn't a playground, and the parents look at ME like I'm a piece of crap...

MistyMarie 01-12-2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by scrappylouisa
My pet peeve is grocery baggers. I hate having my food and non-food items stuffed in the same bag. I recently had Irish Spring soap put in the same bag as my bread.......when I asked the young lady to place the soap in another bag she copped an attitude! I politely told her that I would rather bag my own groceries. She looked and me and said, "Whatever!". She went to the next checkout area and started throwing anything and everything in the bags to fill them.

I think all baggers should work for tips. That way, if you are unhappy how they bag your groceries, you don't tip them. (Similar to a waitress in a diner.) I shop at the military commissary and the baggers are not paid employees, but work only for tips. I rarely get poorly bagged groceries and they load them into my vehicle for me. This is nice because I am getting kids buckled in at the same time.

Lisanne 01-12-2010 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
... and the parents look at ME like I'm a piece of crap...

I don't actually see out-of-control kids very often. But when they are, and the parent isn't doing anything, and I try to say something, the abuse that comes out of those parents' mouths, like I'm the one who's at fault...

Mostly, kids are better behaved than their parents, IMO. It's the kids who move carts out of the way; the parents just ignore you. It's the kids who say "Excuse us" after their mother pushes her way past...

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 01-12-2010 10:28 AM

Ok, I'm not going to list them all, but spelling and grammar used incorrectly drives me up the wall. I mean, basic words, here, nothing complicated.

I think what drives me really crazy is when I'm driving. Everything bothers me. If I'm the one who's driving, shut up and don't tell me how to drive ('he's too slow, pass him', or 'you're tailgating' or 'the limit is 100, you can go at least 120' You know what? Shut up! I'm the one driving, it's my car, and if you don't like it then you can get out and walk.
The cops around here are the WORST for traffic violations, them and taxi drivers. I've seen sooooo many cops cruising around and then when they come to a red light or stop sign they put on their lights in order to get everyone to move over for them, and as soon as they cross the intersection they turn them off and go normally. ARGH!!!! And on top of everything, they must have some kind of code or something, because I have seen many MANY occastions where a bus driver, or taxi driver does something totally rediculous and the cops ignore it, while we get pulled over for the most mundane 'offences'.
People who drive up behind me and flash their high beams in my face so I move out of the way (I'm usually going between 15-20 over the limit anyway) and then SLOW DOWN as soon as they pass me... WTH?? People who don't signal, cut me off, drive like idiots, do american stops, don't give pedestrians the right of way, and go 30 under the limit IN THE FAST LANE on the highway also bother me. Freakin' people, UGH!!!