Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lets-hear-some-pet-peeves-probably-been-done-before-t33848.html)

Honey 01-12-2010 12:25 PM

I agree with all of the above :evil: But my two BIGGEST pp's are undisciplined children and people who want to move to this great country but refuse to speak english :evil: My kids were and are far from perfect :!: None of us are :!: But I and my DH did everything possible to raise them to be respectful and responsible adults. That was my FIRST job :!: I knew that going into parenthood. So step up people and show some responsibility and stop try to be so politically correct all of the time. It's time to get back to some old fashioned values!!People who don't speak english totally set me off :hunf: They come here leagally or illeagally because they want to be here, yet they don't really want to assimilate. I am for everyone being proud of their heritage, I am proud of mine, too, but this is America, the melting pot, DUH :!: :!: WOW, talk about a soap box :oops: :oops:

BellaBoo 01-12-2010 12:28 PM

People who chew gum. It's ugly to look at someone constantly chewing and it's annoying to be around them. Not to mention the smell of it, sticky sweet spit smell. Yuk. I will distance myself from anyone chewing gum.

Another one is youth sport teams who award trophies for participation. I wouldn't let my DD accept one, not when her team came in dead last for the season. They lost fair and square.

One more? People who bring their whole family with them when they grocery shop. goodness do you have to have a husband, teens, sister, cousin and mother all walk down the grocery aisle with you?

Quilter7x 01-12-2010 12:39 PM

Honey, I agree that people who come into this country need to learn to speak and write the English language. If they're going to make their life here, they need to make the effort to understand English in spoken and written forms.

There are many people who have been working in this same company for more than 20 years and still can't speak the English language. I totally get you on that one.

Although I've learned to live with the way things are written in today's society, I really appreciate good written English.

THANK YOU very much to the English teachers for everything you do for our students, even if it is not as much as you want to do for them. :)

QBeth 01-12-2010 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Mine is hearing Massachusetts, and February mispronounced, and when someone says 7am in the morning. 7am IS in the morning.

"Febooary"??? But, I'm at a loss on how someone could mispronounce Massachusetts (I was born there). "Massa CHUS utts"?? You should hear people who try to pronounce Worcester as "Wore chester"! We forgive visitors but local newscasters should really know how to pronounce surrounding town names. It is "Wooster." Don't ask me why, it just is. I'm sure folks in other parts of the country that have local names derived/based on American Indian names have the same problem.

As for quilting PPs, I create my own. As in, I'm now ready to start sewing something that has a deadline only to find that my machine, which was working perfectly a week ago, is having hiccups. Errrrrrr!! It wouldn't be so bad except I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm the one who is doing something wrong, not the machine!

QBeth 01-12-2010 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
Chewing gun spit out - on the street, sidewalk, under a table - anywhere but properly thrown away. Just gross.

"Chewing GUN"?!! I know this is a typo but the mental picture it created gave me a good chuckle. Thanks.

MadQuilter 01-12-2010 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
But, I'm at a loss on how someone could mispronounce Massachusetts (I was born there). "Massa CHUS utts"?? You should hear people who try to pronounce Worcester as "Wore chester"!

I would say it that way too.

We had friends come from Germany and one set wanted to go to Yow Semight, the other wanted to go to Valley Joe. (I looked at both a little perplexed until we cleared up that one wanted to go to Yosemite and the other to Vallejo.) lol

QBeth 01-12-2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by minnow895
to err is human-my pet peeve is everone thinking that everone is the same i am brain damaged and had to learn a lot all over again i guess my pet peeve is those that are so stupid to think everone should meet up to there standards

God Bless! I read on another thread about your brain damage. I applaud your courage in contributing to this Board.

Please don't think these peeves about proper grammar and such are directed at you! My guess is that they are directed at people who know better, and can do better, but choose not to. {I think I just hung a preposition... late in the day for me... sorry.} Now I'm getting paranoid! :)

Lisanne 01-12-2010 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
You should hear people who try to pronounce Worcester as "Wore chester"! We forgive visitors but local newscasters should really know how to pronounce surrounding town names. It is "Wooster." Don't ask me why, it just is.

Yes, it is - in MA. But in PA, Worcester is wor-ses-ter. (I think. Anyway, they pronounce all of the syllables, but I got used to Wooster up in MA.)

QBeth 01-12-2010 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
My pet peeve is also incorrect English. I may sometimes make mistakes but I know there is a difference between your and you're, and there, their, and they're.

I cringe when I read, "it peaked my interest." ARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Several years ago I volunteered to mentor a student in an "English as a second language" class. One problem that I saw over and over again was relying on the computer's spell & grammar checkers to catch mistakes and not learning proper grammar. (unfortunately, a grammar checker isn't available when using pencil and paper, especially when filling out a job application.) I suspect that more and more people are relying on the computer instead of their own education. Too bad.

QBeth 01-12-2010 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
[We had friends come from Germany and one set wanted to go to Yow Semight, the other wanted to go to Valley Joe. (I looked at both a little perplexed until we cleared up that one wanted to go to Yosemite and the other to Vallejo.) lol

Before I head for home, I just wanted to acknowledge one more chuckle.... Yow Semight?!! Can I go too? My apologies to your friends.

I've been fortunate to have been to Yosemite and, not matter what you call it, it's still one of the most beautiful spots in the world.

Good night, all. Signing off for now.