Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Look what I bought today at an Estate Sale...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/look-what-i-bought-today-estate-sale-t49286.html)

isnthatodd 06-11-2010 04:58 PM

Looks just like the one we had when I was in high school. I did hate defrosting the freezer, tho. :lol:

Lostn51 06-11-2010 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
Looks just like the one we had when I was in high school. I did hate defrosting the freezer, tho. :lol:

That was the first thing my wife said about it when I told her I bought it. I told her the cool factor out weighed the other issues!!

And lets face it my house was built in 1951, I have some morbid fixation about that year so it was one of those things that were meant to be!!

Billy

Pam 06-11-2010 05:03 PM

Me too, I wanna see the new orange appliances all set up and working when they are installed.

Ginger2010 06-11-2010 05:08 PM

Wow! I remember having that first refrigerator just like that when I got married in 1971. I never like defrosting it either!

Lostn51 06-11-2010 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ginger2010
Wow! I remember having that first refrigerator just like that when I got married in 1971. I never like defrosting it either!

According to the site I went to to lift the photo it was a 1949 model. But I bet that style was popular for several years.
they had one a little newer than that one in the utility room and I didnt get it but there was a bag of silver coins in that icebox!

Billy

Tink's Mom 06-11-2010 05:20 PM

We had one just like it in the basement when I was younger...I didn't like having to defrost it and the ice cube trays were something else....but it sure looks cool!

Pam 06-11-2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Ginger2010

According to the site I went to to lift the photo it was a 1949 model. But I bet that style was popular for several years.
they had one a little newer than that one in the utility room and I didnt get it but there was a bag of silver coins in that icebox!

Billy

Cold, hard cash?

raptureready 06-11-2010 06:02 PM

How cool is that!!???!? (pun intended) Those old refrigerators are great! I used to have a Crosley Shelvador with the rounded top---that thing ran like a dream but I finally gave it away for a bigger, newer, but in no way better, fridge. The Crosley Company had gone out of business in around 1953 or 56 and I first got the Shelvador in 1977. Kept it until around 1989.

bluebird 06-11-2010 07:37 PM

Grew up with one like that, also hated defrosting it. Go back and get the stove too, have seen them set up on patios and they are great. When we remodeled our kitchen bought a new double oven Roper gas stove to replace the old gas Roper double oven stove. That old stove was made better than the new fancy one. Had the clock, salt n pepper shakers, broiler and the top closed down over the burners when you weren't using it. Wish I had kept that stove, would still be usable long after I'm gone. Had drip pans that you could pull out to clean, remember once a mouse was in the stove, could see his tiny feet running around on the drip pan. Too funny watching the cat trying to get at that mouse. :lol: Sorry Ms Mousie.

mom-6 06-11-2010 08:31 PM

Hey I'm supposed to go pick up one of those from a friend's garage when we can work out scheduling. He says you have to watch it or the sodas will freeze and explode. He also said it was heavy as all get out!