Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Mending/Repairing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mending-repairing-t292844.html)

Quilting Grandma 11-25-2017 06:03 PM

Do I mend? I am the family mender. Kids and grandkids find their way to my door with their "stuff" to be mended. I am teaching a DGD so when I am gone, the mending will continue. ��

tranum 11-25-2017 06:10 PM

Socks get tossed, not mended. I mend anything worth mending and I’ve been known to replace all the buttons on a new blouse or jacket with classier ones from my button stash. Grandson (about 10 or 11) came to our house years ago, his friends dog ripped a small hole in his jeans and he was wondering if I could repair it. I mended and he sat in his underwear waiting, we had a good visit. Good memory.

Watson 11-25-2017 06:34 PM

Don't try to fix socks, but do mend other things, do hems and fix camping gear/horse-wear when I can. You'd be surprised what my Singer will sew through.

Watson

MaryMo 11-25-2017 07:14 PM

I still sew some of my clothes, especially pajama pants. I still mend rather than buy new or new-to-me. I like to upcycle clothing and crafty items. I still make curtains. AND I quilt ... and crochet .... and craft .... and read books for my enjoyment. The thing I don't like to do is to sew or mend for other people when their expectations are to get back an item that is better than off the rack. This now is my time, for me, and yes, I can be selfish, I've earned it.

Jingle 11-25-2017 08:07 PM

Years ago when our Son worked in a lumber yard I mended his heavy work socks. I also sewed large patches on the front of his blue jeans. The rubbing of the boards against them wore them out fast. So heavy I sewed them all by hand using pliers to pull the needle through.

Other than sewing on a button or hemming my shorts I don't mend a blooming thing. I saved money all of my younger years. Now I just want to make quilts.

canmitch1971 11-25-2017 08:11 PM

I mend my Grandson's pants....he blows the knees out of them often.

cashs_mom 11-25-2017 08:27 PM

I do mend, but I don't darn socks. I fix hems, replace buttons, hem my husband's jeans and re-sew seams that have come apart. I occasionally patch something. Just this evening I patched my car cover which had a whole right next to the seam.

Sleepy Hollow 11-25-2017 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the kind of socks I will put the effort into learning how to darn. Only one pair has a hole, the rest have worn really well. Also, made by my mom, so kind of special. Regular socks go into the "vacation pile" when they get a hole. I'll wear those on vacation and throw them away at the end of the day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584337[/ATTACH]

mamagrande 11-25-2017 10:14 PM

I mend seams that come undone and rips in pockets of pants. I will hem pants and skirts but I don't do zippers.

Aurora 11-26-2017 03:14 AM

I don't wear socks (they make me feel like a captive) and I do not do mending for others. I do have some hemming to do for myself after the first of the year.

Actually, I have not worn socks since high school and I seldom wear shoes indoors. I like to feel where I walk.