Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Mending/Repairing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/mending-repairing-t292844.html)

bearisgray 11-25-2017 09:57 AM

Mending/Repairing

Believe it or not - I do darn (by machine) small holes in the toes of adult size socks.

I will replace buttons - I even fix/reinforce the spot where the button will go it if it needs it.

Sometimes I will patch the jeans that have holes in the knees - it's a safety issue.

I will sew a seam that has come undone.

I will shorten some things

I will not replace zippers or fix something that won't hold the stitching because it is so worn out.

Do any of you still do mending/repairing?

daisydawg 11-25-2017 10:00 AM

I sometimes replace a button

Sew a seam that has come undone

and that's about it.

Sleepy Hollow 11-25-2017 10:05 AM

Most of the socks I wear are ones my mom has knit. They are probably the only socks I have worth darning, and since a few now have holes, I will learn to do so.

My son has ripped some seams on some otherwise perfect pants, so I repair those. I've also had to hem pants that came in one length only, which is fine, as most are too short.

I've replaced buttons, and have patched work pants.

A few minutes of my time to repair something I like is well worth not having to go shopping for something new. I'm not a fan of clothes shopping.

annievee 11-25-2017 10:06 AM

Don't do much mending unless it is a seam or button--not my favorite thing to do !

tscweaves 11-25-2017 10:12 AM

I darn my wool socks, I really like them. My mom gave me her darning egg, so it feels good to use it. I do sew buttons and I have been known to cheat and use Stitch Witchery to repair holes in my sweatshirts.

Anniedeb 11-25-2017 10:15 AM

Absolutely! I routinely replace jacket zippers for DH, mend clothes for the grands, hem slacks, sew ripped seams, fix sports uniforms, sew on buttons, patch/replace knees in snowpants and anything else that needs fixing.

QuiltnNan 11-25-2017 10:24 AM

not if I can help it LOL
actually, i do repair my favorite pants, but little else

elnan 11-25-2017 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7950389)
Believe it or not - I do darn (by machine) small holes in the toes of adult size socks.

I will replace buttons - I even fix/reinforce the spot where the button will go it if it needs it.

Sometimes I will patch the jeans that have holes in the knees - it's a safety issue.

I will sew a seam that has come undone.

I will shorten some things

I will not replace zippers or fix something that won't hold the stitching because it is so worn out.

Do any of you still do mending/repairing?

Yes, I do most of those tasks, but have not darned the toe of a sock by machine. I recall how disappointed I was to find that the "free-arm" sewing machine I had lusted for was no better that anything I already had. I have lengthened the sleeves of many coats and jackets by saving and sewing heavy sock tops as cuffs. No knitters in my family, so tried to wing-it with darning socks. I was reminded of what a friend said. Her husband insisted that she darned and sewed blisters into his socks. I might as well encapsulate a small stone over each worn spot. When my kids were growing up and out of their clothing, they were known for the machine applique on everything, easier to cover a hole than darn it.

SusieQOH 11-25-2017 10:31 AM

I do mending and repair but not socks. The first time I see a hole I pitch them.

cjsews 11-25-2017 10:47 AM

I mmend. Seems like everyone bring their work to me. I do draw the line with the grandkids torn clothes. The think a tear in odd shapes at least 6 inches long are repairable some maybe. Others hit the trash

i will not mend socks. My DGma did that for us. They were so uncomfortable