Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Moving. Do you regret getting rid of stuff? Or regret keeping stuff? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/moving-do-you-regret-getting-rid-stuff-regret-keeping-stuff-t277654.html)

Jeanne S 04-11-2016 04:52 PM

I have not moved since I started quilting, so haven't gotten rid of any of it. But as far as household stuff or clothes, I keep working on getting rid of stuff and never missed anything!!! But a long way to go....

QuiltnLady1 04-11-2016 04:55 PM

I moved just 18 months ago -- from over 4000 sq. ft to just over 1500 sq. ft. Had surgery last year and lost 40 pounds and had to get some new clothes. I am afraid to get rid of the larger clothes in case I gain it back. I got rid of some of my fabric (the pieces I wonder why I bought it), but could not get rid of much -- I just don't have the resources to replace it. I am gradually going through it and organizing it into plastic bins that I can keep in the garage (I had help packing and things are a bit jumbled) . I am working slowly, but I think this will work. My new sewing room is not too big, so I don't have much room for storage. I am not sorry I hung onto the fabric -- won't know about the clothes (I had already gotten rid of my fancy clothes when we could not cruise any more).

cathyvv 04-11-2016 06:28 PM

You asked for my opinion, so here it is.

When DH and I moved to SC, we brought very little of the stuff from our home. I don't miss it, and really enjoyed shopping for new furniture, area rugs and so on. i didn't worry too much about money while i was shopping, either. Furniture wise, everything in the other house was mismatched because we were always watching pennies - even though we didn't have to watch them that closely. Note that penny pinching was not a bad thing, as it helped us retire comfortably.

About half of what we bought for the new home came from thrift stores. It seems we have a penchant for 1930's furniture and complement it with oriental decor, also purchased from thrift stores. Bedroom, dining room, and living room furniture was purchased new. Somehow it all works together, and, after 8 years, I still love it.

I wasn't quilting yet when we moved, so didn't have to worry about fabric and equipment. MY DH, on the other hand, carried a good part of his antique radio and 45 record player collection, albums, 45 records along - with the stipulation that only a small part of the collection would be displayed in the house. However, we did not down size; if anything we up-sized - not my idea - and bought a home with 5 garaqes, so his hobby stuff is mostly in 3 of them.

Sadly, my DH will not sell the other house and he doesn't like spending on maintenance - so the future does not look good for that house! It is still fairly packed with stuff, too. My sister rents it at a very good rent, so it has her stuff and my DH stuff.

Now we are finally to my opinion. Take only what you love to your new home. Pare your fabric collection down; you can buy new fabric, if need be. Quilting/sewing books - donate all but a few. With the internet, it is easy to get plenty of free patterns, You tube tutorials abound, and so on.Sewing tools - take the ones you use the most and/or like the most. If you haven't used it in X years, you probably won't. Clothes - same thing. If you can afford it, get new everything for your kitchen, buy a new washer and dryer if your new home doesn't come with them.

I hope you will love your new home and have many happy years living in it.

patski 04-11-2016 06:52 PM

I got rid of lots of stuff and don't miss it at all. It feels so good to have what I need and not a bunch of stuff that just sits. When I need fabric I buy what I need and use as much as I can from what I have! Clothes? I have 5 pairs of shoes, including 1 pair for winter, maybe 6 pair of pants ,1 dress (God forbid I have to wear it) and a dozen tops. If I want something new I get it and pass on something I have. I love the freedom of not being buried in stuff!

mhollifiel 04-12-2016 03:04 AM

I have purged everything 5 times in the last 10 years, twice after losing wonderful husbands (apparently part of my grieving process), three moves, and 134 pound weight loss. I felt lighter and much better after each downsize. The majority of what I have now is quilting (stash and related) and my clothes. I can get by with very few possessions otherwise. The wonderful thing about traveling light is so much less to worry about and keep up. Very freeing.
Even though I am pared down, every January I go through my quilting fabrics and tools clearing out anything that does not bring me joy. I am independent and, if I choose, can move my life in a different direction at the drop of a hat. If my family needs me, I am almost always readily available. All I really need is a home base for my quilting. How I wish I had learned not to acquire unnecessary things much, much sooner!

Sandygirl 04-12-2016 03:38 AM

Out of sight...out of mind. Purge!

Sandy

jeanne49 04-12-2016 04:27 AM

I never had a problem giving away clothing. There are always pieces that I come across that I probably haven't worn in months and sometimes years, so away they go to the donation shop. Shoes are another thing, I have a weakness for shoes and since retiring I don't wear dress pants, well rarely, mostly it's jeans, anyway, I just packed up nearly a dozen pairs off shoes with heels, not the really high kind, can't wear them at all, but lower, kind of dressy and they are already in the car waiting for me to drop them off at the donation place. As for fabric, books and magazines, there again I don't really have a problem selling them off. There is no way I will ever use up all the yardage I have and there are many pieces of fabrics that I have several yards of. Usually I cut off a yard of so for myself, if I really like the fabric, and have been selling much on several different Facebook groups.

When I'm cleaning out stuff, I always have in the back of my mind all the stuff I had to clear out of my mother's house after she passed. She kept everything, and I mean everything. Once, several years before she got sick, I said to her that we should really consider getting rid of alot of the paperwork that had been accumulating since they bought the house in 1955 and she would't budge. I told her that once she passed I would just throw it out and she looked me straight in the eye and said, "well, that's your problem". And, it wasn't just paperwork, there was a lot of other stuff that served no purpose except that it took up space. I spent months going thru everything and vowed that I would never leave a mess like that for anyone.

carolynjo 04-12-2016 04:49 AM

I have 3 surrogate granddaughters and their mother who all quilt. Guess who will inherit this fall all my gadgets, fabrics, etc. I won't have storage space in my new 1-bedroom apartment for all that stuff. They are getting dishes, kitchen tools, etc. also.

plainpat 04-12-2016 04:53 AM

3 yrs ago we moved about 70 miles,in order to be closer to DD & her family. Sold & donated antiques,furniture etc. Brought all my quilting stuff. After illness for both of us,I found going to basement sewing room a chore.It's very nice,well lit,tons of shelves & tables.Finally figured out,it's not the illness,it's interest.Just have No interest in sewing.Can't make quilts as I have more than I can use,family has the same.

Haven't missed a thing from moving.Have recently sorted & donated 3 large garbage bags of clothes,shoes & purses.Doing the same with kitchen stuff. Takes very few pots & pans cooking for 2 ppl.

Now time to clear out my stash,machines etc. Just the idea of getting it done is overwhelming!
So...it's put off for another day,shame on me!

I agree with posters saying there comes a time to sort & get rid of all the junk
that is never worn,never used,a chore to clean,that needs
to be in someone else's house.
Haven't been in Joanns or any quilt shop in well over a year.That tells me all I need to know. Good luck with your decision.

maryfrang 04-12-2016 05:07 AM

I moved last summer from Missouri to Texas. I had loads of quilting and crafting stuff. I got rid of all my yarn to a really good friend. She still sends me pics of what she has made with the yarn. I had a garage sale with quilting and needlework items. Made over 1200 dollars in two days. I sold fabric for $4 a yard. I did give a car trunk of stuff to my quilt guild. Filled over two long tables. I gave what was left from the garage sale to three woman that quilt for charity. Then I still moved a lot with me to Texas that I did not get to go through. I have started a area for stuff that I will not use here, or do not want still for a garage sale in early fall. (This includes other house hold stuff too). I am now using some of my quilting fabric to make grand daughters summer outfits. I have 5 grand daughter from size 3 to 12. There has been stuff I got rid of and wish I did not and plenty that I am really glad I did not move. But I am enjoying my new home and love not having clutter. Yea