Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Moving. Do you regret getting rid of stuff? Or regret keeping stuff? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/moving-do-you-regret-getting-rid-stuff-regret-keeping-stuff-t277654.html)

Snooze2978 04-13-2016 06:13 AM

When I moved from Florida to Iowa most of my sewing room had already been packed and put into storage to declutter the house to show. So didn't get rid of too much back then except my folding cutting table and mat I used from JoAnne's. Bought it twice no less as I got bored waiting for the house to sell so bought another one along with a simple sewing machine to keep me busy.

Now that I've moved up to Iowa, I went thru and destashed some of my fabrics I know I'll never use, in fact don't know why I bought it back then. Guess my style has changed. So took mine to an organization for retardation that resells items. Had a garage sale the 1st month after I unpacked and what didn't sell went to this organization too. I've still got some apparel and fleece fabrics in plastic totes as I ran out of room but slowly I'm using what I have and continually reorganizing as I use stuff.

Do I regret getting rid of the stuff, nope not one bit. Do I regret not getting rid of stuff, no as I find a use for it sooner or later or I find a new home for it.

JoyjoyMarie 04-13-2016 06:46 AM

HaHa - I had to laugh at your dilemma! For years, I sewed for my kids, and saved the scraps, hoping that one day when retired, I'd have a chance to make them memory quilts, and do some fun things with my fav. materials. Well, life got in the way, and things were all akimbo with a divorce, and new work, and grown kids, etc, so I sold all my stuff in a gigantic garage sale when I came here 17 years ago. Then I met the neighbor, who is a quilter, and wanted to start a quilting group! Of course, I wanted to participate, but had to start all over again with fabrics. It all worked out, but I thought it was quite an irony that finally I had the time to do what I wanted, but had to start over again!

All that said, I firmly believe that each person has to make her own assessment of what must stay and what must go, and trust the cosmos that it will all work out in the end ---- and it does!

my-ty 04-13-2016 08:00 AM

Go through your things... you will know when it is time to part with your items. I very seldom regret giving away my unwanted stuff. On the flip side, I like to remind myself of how many times my things get lost in my house and never are found until after I needed them. Less stuff makes it easier to find the things I really want and use.

I alternate between being a hoarder and a purger. When I am in a purger mood, I focus on a particular area and try to get things out of the house before my hoarder mood hits! I also like to donate and/or sell my unwanted items, so I know someone else will benefit from these items.

Good luck with your choices.

cashs_mom 04-13-2016 08:19 AM

I'm glad I'm not having to make that decision now. I weed out clothes on a seasonal basis. As I take out the new season's clothes I look at them and decide if I want to keep them. If I don't, they go in the charity bag. I have kept a lot of my dressy clothes because most of them are wearable art that I have made or vintage kimonos. I only dress up once or twice a year so I just keep wearing the same things.

I would probably be able to get rid of some of my stash but I hate to because for the last couple years I've sewn mostly out of my stash with one trip a year to quilt festival to buy stuff. My stash keeps me sewing and inspires me to use what I have and find new ways to combine fabrics.

I've made it plain to my husband that when we retire and probably downsize, I still need a large sewing room to keep me happy. He doesn't want me unhappy! :D

tessagin 04-13-2016 08:20 AM

I cleaned out my drawers and closets and didn't look back. Had some of DHs socks that mission said no to. They wanted new even though they were mended. The people hanging outside the mission snatched them up. One of the women hanging outside the mission mentioned she used to sew. Mostly hand sewing. We set a time to meet the next day. I took clothes and put together a sewing kit for her with extra thread and needles also for darning socks (with an extra darning egg) and a pair of scissors. Threw an extra blessing bag in form of an old backpack dh donated. He threw in some canned goods and couple juices. She said she was suppose to be heading out of town and that was ok. She could do with the bag as she wanted.

tlpa 04-13-2016 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7520672)
Clothes I would have no problem getting rid off. Fabric I couldn't do as the prices keep going up and my stash keeps me sewing.

In thinking about a move in the future...Tartan says it for me. I will have a hard time getting rid of sewing items, but think I could easily downsize in clothing/furniture.

csharp 04-13-2016 03:10 PM

We have moved twice in the last 4 years after living in one place for 45 years,,SOOO, I had already downsized to move south, but the second move here had me getting rid of lots and lots of clothes and all my quilting magazines. I find I enjoy looking up things online, or downloading rather than saving so many books. All my sewing tools I kept, but did get rid of a lot of scraps. Enjoy your move. I actually enjoyed going through things and pitching what I didn't need. Helps that there is a Goodwill place across the street and other charities very close.

Cheryl 04-13-2016 07:16 PM

Well I just moved from Pa to Calif. And I might not have as much quilting stuff like you but I kept mine cause you never know. Id go thru it again and really look and decide what you would use. That is great that you gave alot to project Linus.
The only thing I regret is getting attached to too much of everything else that I had kept for years .knic knacs other books records and stuff I should have gotten rid of. It turned out to be an expensive ordeal.
IF and I mean IF I ever have to move again I will not take anything other than my quilting stuff and my clothes. As they say you can always replace the other stuff.
I wish you luck and safe travels on your move. God Bless.

quilting cat 04-13-2016 07:26 PM

Sold our home of 35 years, put 90% of what we kept into storage, and have been living in an apartment since early January. DH and BIL will go get the stuff from storage by the end of this month, but I've already been wishing I had brought a few spring clothes with me!
Quilting, I've picked up some thrift shop remnants to add to the one tub I brought. I know I stored more sewing and craft stuff than I'll ever use, even though I got rid of a quarter of it.
Are you moving to the same size place, or something smaller? That makes a big difference in how much you keep.

OhCanada 04-14-2016 02:16 AM

I got rid of a bunch of magazines a few years ago that had been given to me. Probably only kept about 10% of what
I had. Don't miss them. However I cannot imagine getting rid of books or good quality cotton fabric.