Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Moving. Do you regret getting rid of stuff? Or regret keeping stuff? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/moving-do-you-regret-getting-rid-stuff-regret-keeping-stuff-t277654.html)

AlvaStitcher 04-12-2016 05:16 AM

We moved almost 2 years ago about 160 miles closer to son and his family. We purged our furniture by selling or donating our antiques, etc. we had decided to take only a queen sized bed to use in the guest room. Everything else was purchased new or used. My fabric and sewing things, however, were packed and came with us. Since that time I have done some purging of the fabric. Donated some to the small guild I belong to here and use some for practicing FMQ. Still have some clothing to go thru although I did a purge before moving. Taste and activities differ. Ongoing process.

quiltin-nannie 04-12-2016 05:21 AM

I have been trying to clean up my stash as I plan on selling my 1600+ sq ft house and moving into a smaller home. I'll be leaving a 16 x 24 sewing room to a probably 8 x 10 extra bedroom. I'll try to sell fabric at a garage sale and what doesn't sell, donate. I have been sorting out all the JoAnn fabrics from LQS fabrics. When you have a piece of each in your hand, you can sure tell the difference. Of course, my JoAnn fabrics are all about 15-20 years old. It's a chore to go through this house and try to get rid of 44 years worth of accumulation. When my husband passed last September, my son took out 44 fishing poles, plus tons of fishing equipment. We have filled two dumpsters in the last year, just from the garage and basement. My husband, left to his own devices, could have been on "Hoarders" if we didn't get rid of stuff. He saved everything. Thank goodness, he never missed half the stuff my son would pitch when he came to visit. Once, the fabric is straightened out, then I have to go on to all the other sewing stuff. I know I'll give one of my three machines to the middle school. They just started a sewing club and I'm sure they can use it. It's an older Pfaff, but runs beautifully. No one in my family has any interest in sewing, they like the completed product! Then there are all the knick knacks and pictures and china, etc. Isn't it funny how when we are younger we accumulate all this stuff to "decorate" then when we reach a certain age, we want to get rid of it. Just something else to dust!

Cathyvv, I'm with you, get rid of it all and start over!

MargeD 04-12-2016 01:06 PM

We had to downsize from a 3-bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apt. about 5 years ago, and both my DS and DH, were adamant that I give away most of my fabrics. Because I had a sewing room upstairs and downstairs, the fabric got spread around; then my sister passed away suddenly and my nieces sent over all the fabric in her apt. My sister had been giving me fabric over the years; but the last batch was difficult to deal with, for obvious reasons. I thank God every day for my best friend who helped me sort through my stash, and finally telling them both that I had done enough. What she couldn't use, she passed on to a mutual friend who belong to a group that made quilts for children in hospitals, so it went to a good cause.

quilt1950 04-12-2016 01:26 PM

We are also in the process of downsizing, and it's hard work. Clothes I have no problems with - I've been retired for 5 years, and haven't worn most of my 'work' clothes since I retired. Everything we do is more casual. Even weddings just require black dress pants and a dressier top, which I have.

I'm struggling with the things I do use, but just occasionally. The Christmas platters that have been used for cookies for years. Sure, I could just use a dinner plate, but those platters seem to be an important part of Christmas, even more important than the tree.

I don't have a big stash, so I'm keeping it. Most of my quilting/sewing is for charity, and my stash works fine. It's become a challenge I enjoy - to make something great from what I have on hand.

Jingle 04-12-2016 01:40 PM

I'm not getting rid of anything. Living in an empty home doe not appeal to me. When I die my Daughter and oldest Granddaughter can get rid of whatever they don't want. They are both okay with that.

JuneBillie 04-12-2016 03:23 PM

I could easily get rid of all my stuff except for my most needed sewing/quilting stuff, and a few things from family that are sentimental. I am one that would be just as happy living in a tiny house as they show on HGTV, as long as I had a sewing space, and my house now is almost 1,300 square feet not including a large front porch, and small back porch.

Annaquilts 04-12-2016 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 7521629)
I'm not getting rid of anything. Living in an empty home doe not appeal to me. When I die my Daughter and oldest Granddaughter can get rid of whatever they don't want. They are both okay with that.

LOL I was just thinking about that. Sometimes I just want to have stuff there because like you I do not like living in an empty home.

Sandi 04-12-2016 10:10 PM

Re: moving

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7520616)
Regarding clothing, I've already donated all of the stuff I know I will never wear. Looking at the rest, I think I am ready to give away at least 2/3rds of what is left. These include nice clothing that I simply don't wear because we never go out to places where I would wear them (concerts, parties) and clothing I have outgrown (for the last 10, 20, 30 or so pounds). I would keep maybe two complete dress-up outfits. I have many single pieces -- skirts, tops, pants, scarves -- that really don't go together. My daughter talked me into some of the dressier clothes she likes to wear, but I never feel comfortable in them.

Anyway, I think I'm okay with giving away a lot more clothing.

It's the quilting that I wonder about. I've already packed up a trunkful of boxes full of sewing items, magazines and fabrics to give away (planning to give to a Project Linus group locally). But I still have a couple of bookcases full of books and magazines, more fabrics than I can probably ever sew in my remaining lifetime, etc. I am wondering if I will regret digging deeper into this stuff, even though some of it I haven't looked at in 5 years.

I know that no one can really make the decisions for me, but I am wondering what some of you who have been there - done that can advise, looking back.

I recently moved ( 1 month ago) and organized and sorted - what a job it is to move but I kept my fabric stash and threw out many of my old quilting mags after clipping articles that I put in big binders. I was ambivalent at first but glad about my decisions . I got rid of 3 boxes of shoes , 5 bags of clothes , old coats and old appliances to charity.
It is freeing feeling but purely individual- the price of fabric is so high that I couldn't
part with it and I do have plans to use it in many ways .

sandy l 04-13-2016 03:30 AM

I'm not moving, but thanks for starting this thread. My sewing room has needed a good cleaning and re-organizing instead of just moving stuff around, and after reading this, had a "well,DUH", moment. I'm going to do it as if I were to move and I think I'll get a lot more accomplished.

Sophie2 04-13-2016 04:57 AM

We will be moving to a much smaller home in September. I will also be loosing my sewing room - until we can put one in our airplane hanger at the new house. I am excited about the move but not the sorting out. I will keep all my fabric but undecided about a machine I have not used in about eight years. I am spoiled where I live now as my machine dealer will service my machine while I am in the town shopping. I know where we live that may not happen, so I hate to get rid of the machine if I may need it while my regular machine may be in the shop. Before I knew we would be moving I sorted out my magazines. I think I need to be strong and sort them again to get rid of more. It is so hard. I hate to pay to move stuff I may end up getting rid of on the other end. I just need to be STRONG! Good luck in your downsizing and move.