Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Moving to FL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/moving-fl-t161613.html)

jacie 10-20-2011 06:55 PM

hahaha, I live in the north country for 6 months, and in Florida for 6 months, so I have the best of the year where ever I am. I find getting used to each area takes putting myself in the right frame of mind, I love the folks in the north, and also in the south. at my age , slow is welcome,,, and I find stores and cultural acticvities are what you look for, We are happy snowbirds,,,,, and love it.

Farm Quilter 10-20-2011 09:21 PM

Born and raised in Reno, Nevada (mountains, dry, 4 seasons), now live in eastern Washington (mountains are hard to see, dry, 4 seasons), been in Riverview, Florida (burb of Tampa) since late February house/pet sitting for my daughter while she was deployed to Afghanistan.

The summer was warm (low 90's), humidity was high, electrical storms were awesome, the grass is always green (trees too), and I've made some awesome friends here (quilters, of course!). Freeways are crazy, especially at rush hour (but I usually live in the country outside a little town of 900). I haven't gone to the beach, theme parks or anything like that, but there always seems to be something going on around here, from plays, street fairs, concerts, sporting events. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and I would not have a problem moving here permanently (but won't cuz DH won't leave the farm). The east coast seems to have more hurricane threats than the west coast and a tornado did stroll up the street in front of my daughter's apartment complex (I was away visiting a quilt shop in another town).

I think you can be happy wherever you live since your attitude determines that. I'm sorry that they will be moving away from you - always hard - but you can visit Florida and enjoy all this lovely state has to offer.

Diane819 10-21-2011 05:09 AM

I've been in FL for 25 years and a transplant from IL. I love it here. So sorry to hear the negative remarks but if you don't like FL............ why come? If you are a quilter there are plenty of quilt stores, join quilt groups,meet people, have the men learn how to fish and eat FRESH fish or seafood that is still flopping when they bring it home. So sorry but I don't like shoveling snow or scrapping my windshield of ice. Please give it a try and smile - it will give you a whole new prospective.

craftymatt2 10-21-2011 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by delma_paulk
I encountered some "misplaced Northerners" last week at a sewing class in Clearwater.......you could tell right away who they were; rude and crude and soooooo loud! No manners and enjoyed being loud about it. Vocabulatory limited to mostly 4 letter words.

I am a Native/Native. American Indian and Floridian and VERY proud of it. If you don't like us please leave.

I lived in New Hampshire for a year back in 1983, was so glad to finally leave there.

if northerners are "rude" its because we have to put up with people that work in Florida and they do not know how to wait on people, they don't smile, throw there change back at them and if you go into the grocery store (which are small and not well kept) you have very long lines, and the cashiers are talking among themselves, and going so slow that it takes them at least half an hour to check a person out, and they may only have a arm load of stuff, then they stop to talk to each other and take a sip of water, and saying stuff like "I wonder if I can go on break"
So before you call someone rude and crude, you should take a look in a mirror cause i am sure the face u see will be none other than yours, and remember who keeps your economy going in Florida as we get poor service.

Bebbysews 10-21-2011 07:09 AM

I'm originally from western Maryland, but have lived in several States on the east coast. We transfered to Florida 38 years ago because my husband worked for IBM. Our kids pretty much grew up here, and are married and they still live in Florida too. So it can't be too bad here! We have sunny, blue skies with the cleanest air to breath anywhere. We're an hour away from the beaches on the east coast and 45 minutes from the beautiful Gulf coast. There are many types of beautiful wildlife in our area. I've seen Florida panthers and even a bear this summer. The palmetto bugs are the worst bug ever, so don't plant any palm trees or pine trees near your home! Don't walk barefoot because you'll step on painful sand spurs! If you have cats, please keep them indoors, because there are coyotes here. But, for the most part, FL is a pretty nice place to live, even though I still miss the beauty of western Maryland, especially in the Fall of the year. And, there seems to be a lot of quilters here and they're very friendly, so I hope you'll like living here.

auniqueview 10-21-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2

I encountered some "misplaced Northerners" last week at a sewing class in Clearwater.......you could tell right away who they were; rude and crude and soooooo loud! No manners and enjoyed being loud about it. Vocabulatory limited to mostly 4 letter words.

I am a Native/Native. American Indian and Floridian and VERY proud of it. If you don't like us please leave.

I lived in New Hampshire for a year back in 1983, was so glad to finally leave there.

if northerners are "rude" its because we have to put up with people that work in Florida and they do not know how to wait on people, they don't smile, throw there change back at them and if you go into the grocery store (which are small and not well kept) you have very long lines, and the cashiers are talking among themselves, and going so slow that it takes them at least half an hour to check a person out, and they may only have a arm load of stuff, then they stop to talk to each other and take a sip of water, and saying stuff like "I wonder if I can go on break"
So before you call someone rude and crude, you should take a look in a mirror cause i am sure the face u see will be none other than yours, and remember who keeps your economy going in Florida as we get poor service.

I think I will take this opportunity to suggest maybe it's YOU that needs an attitude adjustment, lol. I lived in Missouri, and frankly, the people in that state are not thrilled with their Illiniois neighbors. As one of those people in Florida who you think are rude and crude, let me say, you must have never been in one on my lines...or if you were, you were one of those who tried my patience to the limit. I did my job, and did it well. I didn't complain while you hunted around in your cheesy purse, or worse yet, pulled your money out of your bra, while everyone else waited in line behind you. I counted your change back to you, and thanked you, asking you to come back, hoping you didn't.

You get back what you give. I'll just bet you were the one talking nasty about "all those Mexicans who should learn to speak English." You'd be surprised how many do, but prefer to stick to Spanish in the stores, so they don't have to deal with rude and crude people like the ones who talk about them like they are deaf.

Since we were not allowed to have water at our registers, don't know where you got the idea we are standing around sipping it. What were you drinking before you came in? Yes, I am sure that you are just as welcome up in Illiniois, as you are in Florida. And I doubt we miss any of the money you spent. I don't know where you stayed, but I am betting it wasn't Ft. Myers, Sarasota, St. Augustine, Venice, Pensacola, etc. But you come on down....we will be glad to let you try again. THis time bring manners.

craftymatt2 10-21-2011 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview

I think I will take this opportunity to suggest maybe it's YOU that needs an attitude adjustment, lol. I lived in Missouri, and frankly, the people in that state are not thrilled with their Illiniois neighbors. As one of those people in Florida who you think are rude and crude, let me say, you must have never been in one on my lines...or if you were, you were one of those who tried my patience to the limit. I did my job, and did it well. I didn't complain while you hunted around in your cheesy purse, or worse yet, pulled your money out of your bra, while everyone else waited in line behind you. I counted your change back to you, and thanked you, asking you to come back, hoping you didn't.

You get back what you give. I'll just bet you were the one talking nasty about "all those Mexicans who should learn to speak English." You'd be surprised how many do, but prefer to stick to Spanish in the stores, so they don't have to deal with rude and crude people like the ones who talk about them like they are deaf.

Since we were not allowed to have water at our registers, don't know where you got the idea we are standing around sipping it. What were you drinking before you came in? Yes, I am sure that you are just as welcome up in Illiniois, as you are in Florida. And I doubt we miss any of the money you spent. I don't know where you stayed, but I am betting it wasn't Ft. Myers, Sarasota, St. Augustine, Venice, Pensacola, etc. But you come on down....we will be glad to let you try again. THis time bring manners.

Boy what a racist and a hypocrite, talking about Mexicans, i never said a word about them.
I bet you were fired from your job for talking like that about people and thats why i can't stand Florida, people like yourself, at least i had money to stuff in my bra, you live in florida you must be on welfare and don't have a bra to put money in. You're the one who needs to learn some manners, i'm surprised you know how to count.

Ellen 10-21-2011 02:15 PM

WOW, bunch of nerves getting shot at. Bring it on, this is getting good.

Ellen in FLORIDA

fmd36 10-22-2011 09:55 AM

Yes...there is a lot of passion out there. Good to give people a chance to vent, though. I have my own opinions but have kept them to myself. Mostly interested in others..still found them interesting and valuable. Son lived in Tampa for 15 yrs before moving to Seattle. And so it goes....I personally think in the current atmosphere/angst the country is in, a large city is the worst place to move. Rather be in the mtns. of NH. Actually feel safer but then I an 76 and famiily that is moving is only in their 40"s and boys are 10,5 and 1. But I have to remember...God is faithful. Thanks for ALL postings..bring 'em on! fmd36 in NH

auniqueview 10-22-2011 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by auniqueview

Boy what a racist and a hypocrite, talking about Mexicans, i never said a word about them.
I bet you were fired from your job for talking like that about people and thats why i can't stand Florida, people like yourself, at least i had money to stuff in my bra, you live in florida you must be on welfare and don't have a bra to put money in. You're the one who needs to learn some manners, i'm surprised you know how to count.

No, I'm not a racist. Unlike you, I like most people. And I don't go around talking about them like you have. Maybe you should reread just what you wrote about the people who live down here, and just how insulting you were, and are, about the people who work down here.

Me on welfare? No dear, I am not. I have worked since I was 14. Now that I am unable to work, thanks to an unfortunate round with cancer, and having finally been bested by congenital arthritis, I can no long stand those hours at the cash register, waiting on people. But make no mistake, I am still far friendlier than you appear to be. I do not bad mouth the hard working people who do hold down these jobs. I have over the years, worked in hospitals, worked as a waitress, and while in college, as a cocktail waitress, to pay for my classes. And not in a dive, either. I worked in a REAL sports bar, lol....where all the baseball, football, hockey, etc players came in, and were treated like real people, and not just sports figures. Joe Torre even gave me a nickname, and not one I am sure YOU would love to give me. I also worked for a doctor, as a paraoptometric, for 12 years. I worked for a Sociology Professor in college, helped him with his PhD thesis, and wrote an Sociology Honors course for him, including the lectures and tests. My GPA, 4.0. Dean's list, all the way through. Yes, dear, I can make and count change.

I do not assume that people of other races, religions, sexes, sexual persuasions, or who live in states other than mine are "rude and crude" simply because I might be dissatisfied with my lot in life. Maybe because my outlook on life is such that I am not unhappy with myself, and therefore do not have to look down my nose at everyone else.

I have never been fired from a job. My bosses were sorry to see me leave, and went out of their way to extend my medical leave as long as they could, so that I could receive quarterly payouts along with the rest of the employees. They have told me that my job is there, if I ever feel up to coming back. And since I decided again reconstruction, if I were ever tacky enough to put my money in my bra....it would probably fall thru. I prefer to carry mine in a purse, thank you. Cashiers REALLY HATE handling money carried in bras....ask them sometime.

So, I am sure you will find something nasty to come back with. I know Ellen is just waiting eagerly, lol. But know this, you are stuck up there in Illinois, while we here in Florida are enjoying just simply gorgeous weather today. Cool mornings, wonderful sunshine, beautiful flowers and foliage in bloom. I went out to yard sales this morning, and just EVERYONE was happy and smiling. As my southern friends all say...You all come now, ya hear?