Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Moving to FL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/moving-fl-t161613.html)

auniqueview 10-23-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by pinecone

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
.... I live on the Gulf and have traveled all over the states and many countries. Rudest people I have come across are the snowbirds who visit from the north and Midwest.

Please don't paint everyone with the same brush. Not all snowbirds are rude.

piney

Yes, and didn't we just have a thread about how people assume (and you know how that goes) about the different states. You think that people would try to get along, especially these days, and not want to start trouble with each other. I just hated hearing that "rude and crude" tossed out there, and had to respond.

I forget who said it, but it's true that you can be as happy as you will allow yourself to be. And you can't blame other people for your own attitude. I know when someone tells me that the snowbirds are the "bad drivers" during season....Look at the license plate. It's US. We are just as bad, lol. I think all the rest of you are TERRIBLE drivers, lol....and give ALL OF YOU a wide berth...keeps my car nice and undented. I just assume (and there I go) that everyone in a car or on a bike intends to kill me, and drive accordingly. That way, you don't hit me, I don't hit you. Works for me. And we don't have to call each other names, or involve our insurance companies.

Everyone thinks their state, country, etc is the best. You know Florida can't be too bad....people keep coming down here for vacations. I live here, and it's still my favorite vacation spot. And I like snowbirds....especially the winged ones that come down and sit in the trees and make so much noise, lol.

biscuitqueen 10-23-2011 10:03 PM

Amen

Connie in CO 10-24-2011 07:53 AM

I'm going to become a snowbird soon i hope.I love meeting people.I'm not rude or anything like that.I love Florida and will love meeting anyone and everyone.Connie in CO...PS Venice here we come!!!

Farm Quilter 10-24-2011 09:02 PM

And I am leaving Florida next week to go back home to Washington. I enjoyed the hot, humid, rainy, sunny summer and know that I will be cold at home, but I will miss most the wonderful friends I have made here in the Sunshine State because they were truly the sunshine that made my 9 months here so wonderful.

candi 10-25-2011 01:52 AM

Wow! I just read through the pages of this thread and I am shocked at all the nagatives people see in Florida and more so by the attitude of many. But I would like to add my two cents.

I am 28 years old, grew up and graduted college in Michigan, never liked winters there and summers were far too short although beautiful. After graduating college, I traveled all over the states (and the world) spending three months in different places for work, and do you know what I discovered? We live in a BEAUTIFUL country. Gorgeous I tell ya. From the oceans, to the mountains and everything in between, so varied and so full of life. And I also discovered that no place is perfect and home is where your family is.

While we were living in Hawaii, hubby and I were looking (finally) for a permenanat place to live. We both tolerate the heat way better than the cold, so we concentrated on warm states and finally CHOSE FL, been here for two years and never regreted it. Yes, summers are hot, but I spent the hottest summer of my life in Omaha, Nebraska. Bugs can be an issue, but only on Maui did I ever have issues with bugs inside the house. Hurricanes are always a threat, but New England was the region hit hardest this year. I guess I am just trying to say that all of these natural disasters/variables are so unpredictable and you really can't make them a reason to terrify yourself. Just be prepared, at least with hurricanes you always have advance notice unlike earthquakes.

I am currently up in the Boston area and although we love it here, I can't wait to go home. Florida is a beautiful state, no less beautiful than New England, but a different kind of beautiful. What does your DD and Gsons like to do? Do they like outdoor activites? Husband and I bike for 9 months out of the year, we stop in July and August because it can be too hot and in January because a high of 50 is too cold for me to be outside, lol. Do they like the beach? We have beautiful beaches here. And I was shocked by the critisizm of the grocery stores, I live five minutes away from a clean and well maintained Publix where I have yet to stand in line for more than a couple of minutes. Shopping here in the Andover area, I am in line forever.. It is just going to depend on the area they live and shop in. And as far as the culture, it is very interesting and there is always something going on. Tell them to move with an open mind and judge for themselves.
And as I always tell my friends, at least you don't have to shovel heat :mrgreen: