Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Moving to FL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/moving-fl-t161613.html)

SharonTheriault 10-22-2011 11:44 AM

Any place you live is what you make it. If you only think of the negatives, then it will be a negative experience. I like to think of the positives. I've always liked the places we have lived, many states, because my DH and kids were there and it was home for us. Just be blessed with where you are, who you are with, and look for the positives.

sandygoshorn 10-22-2011 03:17 PM

I sure hope everyone feels better. I waited for the dust to settle before I added any comments.
Here in Florida, during the "season" we see drivers from every state and many countries. It makes driving very hazardous and dangerous!!
In stores (especially grocery stores) we see people who are VERY impatient, seeming to forget that sometimes elderly people do no move as quickly as they once did and can be easily confused. That usually will bring the snide comments and eye rolling from people further back in the line.
BUT, what makes ME angry are those shoppers who have a cart FULL of food and still get into the "20 items of less line". I don't know where they are from, but I watched one lady harangue the cashier who DARED to point out to the customer she was in the wrong line. Her husband left the store. Do you think that lady stopped to think about what what her hateful words were doing to that kid? Or what the other customers thought about that lady? Nearly everyone in Florida is a 'transplant', although there are more and more natives. My kids are and so am I. Sarasota....
Anyway, I think I need to point out that people who are having a BAD DAY want to lighten their load, misery loves company....
Yes, the tourists DO help our economy. After all, our unemployment is above 10% and we are second in foreclosures - NV is #1.... Many of our young people have gone up North to find employment or to go move in with relatives.
Considering our wonderful economy and current social-econo status I think everyone needs to stop and be thankful for what they DO have and if they can afford to come to Florida on vacation and spend their money, God Bless them!!
So Smile! Enjoy the sun and the sane. Go to Orlando, enjoy Florida's treasures and spread the wealth....
Is that what comazar Obama and the Unions want us to do? Just keep on praying that he will be a "One-Termer" and maybe we'll get someone in the Oval Office that has some idea of what to do to get our Democracy back to what it's supposed to be -
A government of, by and for the people.

pinecone 10-22-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by delma_paulk
I encountered some "misplaced Northerners" last week at a sewing class in Clearwater.......you could tell right away who they were; rude and crude and soooooo loud! No manners and enjoyed being loud about it. Vocabulatory limited to mostly 4 letter words....
I lived in New Hampshire for a year back in 1983, was so glad to finally leave there.

Please don't paint all Northerners with the same brush. Not all are "rude and crude". Rember, "be it ever so humble there is no place like home" be it, Vt., NH, CO, TX .....Fl. Home is where the heart is.

piney

auniqueview 10-22-2011 05:46 PM

I take people as they come, individually. Tags are a terrible thing. They rub and irritate. That's why they print them in clothes these day, instead of hanging them on there, for all to see and deal with.

I am usually just about as friendly as one of my little doggies, but just like them, my hackles can be raised by people who want to mistreat. And I don't appreciate having an entire state full of people maligned by someone who apparently doesn't have a sunshine outlook.

Gramof6 10-22-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by fmd36
Thanks to all who responded...I have read them all and will keep them. She loves where she is...she is def. a New England person..fall is her fav. time of year. They have both been involved in the performing arts field so they will look to that for enjoyment and she is a hand quilter. . I was awake most of last night praying and dealing with this and trying to answer the "What if.." questions. Mike leaves Sunday to start work on Monday. He knows some Spanish...his sales territory will be south of Miami, some of the islands and some of Central America....It should be exciting. With every move (and she has made a few, inc. West Coast) ) one of her biggest fears has been that she is leaving her friends behind and she won't make any new ones....but she always has. God is faithful. Thanks again to all. fmd36 in NH

One of the biggest fears is the fear of the unknown. My entire married life has been with a DH in the Oilfield. You go where the work is and sometimes we have had to live apart. Not easy but it is what it is, and we made it. Now my DH works away from home for 2-5 or 6 weeks at a time. I do not like it at all, but I do like to pay the bills and have a roof over my head. One day he will retire and then we will reap the rewards of this life and be happy. Well we are both happy people by nature and had to learn that life is always a series of adjustments to be made. Basically, your life is what or how you choose to make it. It is not always happy or easy by no means and we cannot always have things the way we want. There is always a silver lining to be found though. I raised 4 rowdy kids with my DH being gone through most of it. And then we did not have computers or the technology that is available now. Skype is great for families seperated due to work. My youngest DD had a 3 yr old and twin babies & her DH had to be away from home a lot during that first couple of years of the twins lives and they made it. Make's them stronger. I worked at that time & could not really help her much. It hurts us Mom's see our kids go through tough patches and to see them unhappy, but they do usually make it on their own just fine. And I am the type & raised our kids that Home is what you make it. Sometimes we have to be unhappy until we get settled and plant our roots elesewhere, other times some of us have to live one place while a spuse another until the situation can change. It is much better than being homeless and no job! Your family will be fine if they do all move down there. Just a few growing pains to get through. I hope this will help ypou some as that was my full intention when I began typing this. Huge Hugs!! Will pray for your family.

Cybrarian 10-22-2011 07:01 PM

The cultural opportunities they will have in that area are Many and varied. I live on the Gulf and have traveled all over the states and many countries. Rudest people I have come across are the snowbirds who visit from the north and Midwest. I grew up in MI and have lived in KY & GA also so I am a transplanted Floridian. I miss Fall and early spring. Do not miss the depression long winters and gray days bring. My cost of living is way lower than my brother's in CA and lower than any home owner or city renter I have met in NY. My taxes were lower than my single son's were in Ohio. There are pros and coms to any place. The most important thing in this situation is for the family to be together, realize this is an opportunity if they choose to treat it that way and it won't be for ever. They definitely need to visit you inthe summer to get a break from the heat and you need to visit them in the winter for a break from the snow. Or if it is the snow they miss ( and they will at Christmas) they may need to visit then. Attitude will be everything and the boys will take their cues from mom & dad. Thank the Lord you SIL found a job! So many can't.

Rntraveler 10-22-2011 07:15 PM

My take on this... I grew up in WPB... lived in several different areas of the state over the years. Moved to AL in the late 80's Have come "home' many times as I have family here, taken travel "work" jobs here but would I live here ...nope.

Too many bugs, too much heat and humidity. Sure it get's hot in other places but the heat doesn't last March through November. I got real tired of sweat running down my back in March weeding and turning the a/c up to cook Thanksgiving dinner. Love bugs 2x/yr..car stays nasty. Palmbetto bugs that fly, too many people and many that only visit here who think the residents should leave to give them room.

I love the change of season's in North Alabama. In FL, it's the same everyday. So tiring. Also, who wants to go to a theme park every off day? When I was in Fl, I went to the beach not even once a year. Pay is very poor for nurse's and the working conditions leave alot to be disired. Insurance is high for housing.

You may not need much for winter clothes but I spent very little time outside in the heat. Just can't stand it .. might as well be someplace that has more to offer..

Good luck to who ever wants to live down in Fl but for me, I will visit family.

auniqueview 10-22-2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rntraveler

Too many bugs, too much heat and humidity. Sure it get's hot in other places but the heat doesn't last March through November. I got real tired of sweat running down my back in March weeding and turning the a/c up to cook Thanksgiving dinner. Love bugs 2x/yr..car stays nasty. Palmbetto bugs that fly, too many people and many that only visit here who think the residents should leave to give them room.

I love the change of season's in North Alabama. In FL, it's the same everyday. So tiring. Also, who wants to go to a theme park every off day? When I was in Fl, I went to the beach not even once a year. Pay is very poor for nurse's and the working conditions leave alot to be disired. Insurance is high for housing.

You may not need much for winter clothes but I spent very little time outside in the heat. Just can't stand it .. might as well be someplace that has more to offer..

Good luck to who ever wants to live down in Fl but for me, I will visit family.

I guess it all depends on where you live, and how. I don't think people who live in Florida want to go to a theme park every day, any more than people who live in St. Louis or Texas want to go to Six Flags every weekend. The weather is NOT always the same every day. I can point out that we are not the ones who had the killer heat waves this summer, and yes, we have hurricanes sometimes, but look at what happened in the midwest and further north.

Florida has palmetto bugs. Ever see the waterbugs in Missouri? They can't fly, but they are as sure a sign of Spring as Robins, lol. I don't do snow and freezing my butt off any more. I need to remind myself how that felt, I will go stand in Publix's cooler for a few minutes, lol.

My dears, there has been NO PERFECT PLACE, ever since Eve said to Adam,...."Here honey, try a bite of this."

queendaria 10-23-2011 11:08 AM

I am fortunate to live in NJ but also have a vacation home in Sarasota, Fl. While my "real life" is in NJ, I LOVE going down and spending time in Florida--especially in January and February when I'm up to my knees in snow! As far as culture goes, I enjoy the opera in Florida as much as the Met in NY and Sarasota offers a tremendous opportunity for cultural experiences. The people I meet are delightful and restaurants are plentiful and good. Would I move there permanently? No, because my family is in Jersey, but if they all moved down there, I'm sure I could have a great life enjoying beautiful weather most of the year and the slower pace. You make your own happiness--wherever you live!

pinecone 10-23-2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
.... I live on the Gulf and have traveled all over the states and many countries. Rudest people I have come across are the snowbirds who visit from the north and Midwest.

Please don't paint everyone with the same brush. Not all snowbirds are rude.

piney