Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My dog stinks! what do you use on yours?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-dog-stinks-what-do-you-use-yours-t106612.html)

Sue Fors 03-11-2011 04:19 AM

I have a Pekingese that smells really bad because his eyes run. He goes to the groomer once a month, and smells good for a week when he comes home. I am a hairdresser myself, and only tried once to give him a bath. I told the groomer that her job was safe!

grann of 6 03-11-2011 04:27 AM

I have a great dane and a rottie mix who only get bathed in the summertime when I can do it outside. They aren't smelly. I do have waterless shampoo for those times when they do get an odor. Ever try to put a Dane in a bathtub? Or a Rottie for that matter? But Goldens as has been mentioned before are water dogs and can't stay clean for the life of them. It is just their nature and you have to learn to live with that fact. I have been neighbors to goldens (many of them) for 40 years, and granny to a chocolate lab who was the same way. Goldens need a lot of grooming to keep the smell away. That is why I have low maintenance dogs now. Goldens are nice dogs but too much work for me at my age.

quiltbuddy 03-11-2011 05:57 AM

We had and older golden once that smelled and his anal gland had to be expressed once in awhile. The vet said all it takes is one drop.

chairjogger 03-11-2011 05:58 AM

dawn dish soap took care of our dog getting spraye by a skunk.. ever try that?

CayinSC 03-11-2011 06:10 AM

For a quick refresher when a bath is not an option - use corn meal, rub it in and brush the dog - absorbs oils and smells! I would suggest that brushing happen out of doors. It really works.

jad1044 03-11-2011 06:12 AM

After a bath, I use the doggy perfume on my long haired chihuahua... helps for quite some time, and sometimes if I do not hae time for the bath, he gets a spray in between baths........ sort of "hides" the odor till I get to him.

Ramona Byrd 03-11-2011 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2manyprojects
Avon Skin so soft works too

------------------------------------
My daughter used to raise Chows and sometimes one of them smelled bad and dug chunks out of her hair. Avon's Skin So Soft worked so good at bringing back the hair, she had the dog's hair cut short and all of it came back nicely with Skin So Soft rubbed in well.

Monstookie 03-11-2011 06:53 AM

I have am Akita/Collie mix....and she is definitely a wash and wear kind of dog. I find in the winter with the snow/mud and such she starts to smell a little more....but I take her to the groomers about every 6 weeks and she comes back smelling heavenly. I hate that "doggie" smell....so thats why I take her to the groomers regularly. No problems.

blhaines 03-11-2011 07:19 AM

Using dryer sheets reminds me of what our old (now passed away) German Shorthair would do. He would try to get the dryer sheet out of the dryer before I could close the dryer door. He would then roll on it. He must have LOVED the smell.

We now have 2 young German Shorthairs that we bathe regularly. I many times end the bath with a little bit of Pantene Pro-Vi conditioner. Makes their coat very silky/shiny. They smell really good too!

Janlee43 03-11-2011 08:34 AM

I have a Golden I we bath her every three to four weeks. We use a hypoallegenic shampoo and she does well. She is also on Thyroid and her fur is much softer and she doesn't have an odor. Even with the rain this week she still smells good.