Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need help with fibromyalgia and hands (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-help-fibromyalgia-hands-t131014.html)

carolynjo 06-17-2011 03:58 PM

So sorry about you pain. I saw in Connecting Threads or Nancy's Notions recent catalog a velcro strip that you can put around your hands (across the fingers, leaving the thumb free) that allows you to just lay your hands on the fabric and the velcro hooks will hold the fabric and guide it through the machine. That might work for you and take the weight off your fingers. Hope so.

Dodie 06-17-2011 06:50 PM

I had lots of pain in my shoulders even gat trigger point injections every 6 months then finally went to a Dr. that did blood work and my vitamin "D" level was only 17 should be 30 to 100 took prescrition vitamin "D" now 2000 units a day my level is 49 and the pain has been improved by 90% by all means see a Dr. as there are many causes

AlamoAA 06-17-2011 08:17 PM

Have you tried the exercise where you pull your hand up as far as it will go toward the top of your arm. Do not jerk just stretch and do it frequently during your sewing. And stretch both hands. I do that with carpel tunnel.

sherrill 06-18-2011 04:02 AM

I take cortisone injections every 3 months or so for arthritis and rheumatisim.Just had them in my knees Thursday next month will have them in my shoulders.Can't take lyrca as it made my eyes sight blurry,can't take cymbalta either so I take what I can.Went the naturpath way too.I don't have it nearly as bad as some I don't think.

sherrill 06-18-2011 04:03 AM

Doc tells me that fm is rheumatisim

gerswin 06-18-2011 04:05 AM

i have seen a band used that goes around all 4 fingers of each hand and then is used to guide fabric. will try to find out where i saw it and get back to you. i know how frustrating it can be when something goes numb. lots of luck :)

auntiehenno 06-19-2011 06:22 AM

dO YOU TAKE MEDS. dOLIBIS IS AN OLDIE AND NO SIDE EFFECTS LIKE THOSE OTHERS,

Elaine Armstrong 06-19-2011 06:46 AM

I use wrist support to help me from making my fingers numb. I found that this helped a little. Unfortunately this disease takes a toll on the body one way or the other. I now find that I do a little and then take a break. My best wishes go with you. Patience is the key.

Elaine Armstrong 06-19-2011 06:46 AM

I use wrist support to help me from making my fingers numb. I found that this helped a little. Unfortunately this disease takes a toll on the body one way or the other. I now find that I do a little and then take a break. My best wishes go with you. Patience is the key.

pjnesler 06-19-2011 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by tdgiffin
I am having trouble with sewing. I use a lighter pressure when I sew because I have to be careful on how much I exert any part of my body.

Even when I sew gently, after awhile, two of my fingers go numb. They will stay like that for a full 24 hours. Is there any way I can hold the fabric as I sew that might lower the amount of exercise that my hand is getting?

Some medications can also produce these symptoms. I have osterporosis and tried 2 different once a week type meds, and felt as if I had carpel tunnel. Under doctor direction I went off each due to the symptoms, and everything cleared up. Now I'm using the nasel spray for osteo. So far so good. Thank goodness we discuss these things, the medical world is so vast...