Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   need your imput please... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-your-imput-please-t228886.html)

sewnsewer2 08-27-2013 12:38 PM

need your imput please...

Not sure where to post this, so mods if it's in the wrong place, please move. Thanks.

I'm going to buy a new laptop with windows 8. My question is how hard is it to learn windows 8 if I'm used to vista & windows 7? Any imput will be appreiated. I'm planning on getting my new laptop this week.

Thanks!

donnalynett 08-27-2013 12:42 PM

We have a desktop we purchased in January with Windows 8 and it is the worst ever. If you can still get Windows 7 I would suggest you do it.

tessagin 08-27-2013 12:44 PM

make sure you have your manual and follow it to the tee. many things will not work with Windows 8. I'm sticking with my Windows Xp. I know of many who have been sorry they ever got the Windows 8.

sewnsewer2 08-27-2013 12:46 PM

Good info, thanks! I did ask if they got the kinks worked out and the guy said he thinks so?

tessagin 08-27-2013 12:47 PM

Windows 8 has been a thorn in everyone's side that I know has one. Are you getting a really good deal on it? Most of them are on sale and there's a reason for that. They are easy to be hacked also. Software is hard to get for Windows 8.

Misty's Mom 08-27-2013 01:04 PM

I vote to get an apple. Really easier and no updates to worry about.

abc123xyz 08-27-2013 01:31 PM

I got a laptop with Windows 8 around the first of the year. It is very different from XP which I had previously. My advice is to make sure you have a good computer person who can help you get started. I had a friend who modified mine a bit and I have gotten along fine. I don't really know just what he did but I would say if you go into it with an open mind you can master Windows 8. I don't think any other program is available when you purchase a computer that is loaded and ready to go. My computer friend downloaded a free program that one can use for spreadsheets, etc. and that saved me a lot of money as I didn't have to purchase an expensive program to accomplish this. This friend also transferred all my data from my old computer to my new laptop and saved most everything I had on my old one. My old printer doesn't work as well with my new laptop but I have worked with it and have it doing the things I want most of the time. Anything new is a challenge. Try to approach it as a new adventure.

quiltstringz 08-27-2013 01:35 PM

Ask them if you have an option of going with Windows 7. My husband got a new computer (couple of months ago) and they did have an option of putting Windows 7 on it. Doesn't hurt to ask. They may even tell you which models are available with 7.

sewnsewer2 08-27-2013 01:41 PM

Thanks again everyone! I do have my stuff backed up on a external HD. I did find one that has windows 7 already installed. I'm going to check into that one as well.

quiltsRfun 08-27-2013 01:55 PM

My niece Just had a go-round last weekend with Windows 8. She can't do anything with it and is having her SIL switch back to 7.