Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Netflix movies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/netflix-movies-t286440.html)

Sewnoma 03-01-2017 07:31 AM

Netflix rotates what movies/shows are available for streaming. First day of the month is when they change things around, so if you see something you like and it's near the end of the month, watch it right away!

Lots more options if you get the DVD rental option. We do both because my DH is a TV-aholic. :)

jumpin' judy 03-01-2017 09:19 AM

I haven't seen it on Netflix yet, but we have it for $4.99 on "on demand" on our cable Time Warner (now Spectrum).

Peckish 03-01-2017 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7775152)
Netflix rotates what movies/shows are available for streaming.

I was going to point this out also, Sewnoma beat me to it.

We have Netflix and Hulu. Netflix is a streaming service, we get it through both our PS4 (gaming console with internet access) and Hulu. Hulu is kind of like cable, you pay a monthly fee for the service and you have a box, but it's WAAAAY cheaper and there are no commercials. That, to us, is the best part. (I am so done with commercials, every time I go to a hotel or a friend's house, I wonder how people can tolerate them so....) We pay $32 a month for both services, which is much more affordable than our old satellite bill of $95. Hulu has tiered pricing, it starts at $7.99 a month for service with minimal commercials (we started with this option, it's 2 or 3 commercials vs the standard 9 or 10 or whatever "regular" tv has). We decided to bump it up to the non-commercial version and added a couple of premium channels, such as HBO and Showtime, and now we pay $22/month, which includes taxes. We pay $10/month for Netflix.

Netflix has started their own programming, much like the networks. Longmire was originally on A&E, they cancelled the series and the fans went ballistic. The cast and the fans lobbied Netflix to pick it up and fortunately they did. Netflix also has other really, really good original programming: House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Travelers, Grace and Frankie, The Crown, The OA, Sense8, and on and on. They also have original documentaries and stand-up comic specials (Jim Gaffigan, Dana Carvey, Joe Rogan).

Hulu carries more of the newer content. You can watch the 5 most recent episodes of programs that are currently airing on the major networks - for instance, Lethal Weapon, which airs on Fox. In contrast, Netflix will show older stuff, but you can watch an entire season in one weekend.

Edit: my husband wanted me to add that with our Showtime and HBO subscription through Hulu, we watch awesome shows like Billions, Homeland, Ray Donovan, and Game of Thrones.

Crqltr 03-01-2017 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by mopec (Post 7774439)
May I make a movie suggestion? I have watched "Woman in Gold" twice recently. World War II era flashback/modern era. A true story of Nazi Germany/an Austrian Jewish family/a surviving daughter who escaped to America. Sad but so good. Netflix

Thank you for posting this..I just watched this and really like it.

nativetexan 03-01-2017 06:22 PM

saw that recently. it was a good movie. still made me cry. i try hard not to watch movies on the War. any war.

tessagin 03-02-2017 05:30 AM

We don't subscribe to much. Has to be a really good movie for me to sit through and enjoy or even put on pause. put one on pause and forgot about it. 3 hours later when I realized.

Geri B 03-02-2017 05:48 AM

Peckish....how does Hulu eliminate commercials? Is it that broadcast is not "real time"?

..and lately some commercials just don't make sense....saw one the other day, must have been on a cable station...spoken in what I presume was a middle eastern language, with translation on bottom of screen, but spoken so fast couldn't read translation....don't know what that was all about!

All these combos and choices for tv entertainment are so confusing......

Peckish 03-02-2017 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7775794)
Peckish....how does Hulu eliminate commercials? Is it that broadcast is not "real time"?

That is correct. The shows are usually posted the same day as the original broadcast, but they are posted in their entirety, without commercial breaks.

My husband was commenting the other day about how our viewing habits have changed, and we both feel it's for the better. Our tv watching now revolves around our lives, instead of our lives revolving around when our favorite shows will be on. He made that comment because we had invited another couple out for drinks one evening, and they declined because they didn't want to miss their favorite tv show.

Geri B 03-02-2017 10:59 AM

Tv program vs visit w/friends........last invite from me to them, that's for sure....and if reversed, same response as theirs. Just shows how AI is taking over our human side.........