Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   A new ironing board! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-ironing-board-t268715.html)

Cactus Stitchin 08-13-2015 09:07 PM

When I met my husband he didn't like the color or the one my mother had given me years ago and thought I should get a newer one - ha! I showed him what the new ones looked like then and he agreed they were too flimsy and lightweight - that was 20 years ago now!

donna13350 08-14-2015 02:53 AM

I, too had sticker shock when I needed a new ironing board. The cheaper ones are so flimsy that they're dangerous, and who would have ever thought we'd need to fork over 60 dollars or better for something like an ironing board? I finally did, but yikes!

citruscountyquilter 08-14-2015 03:23 AM

The ironing board I use at my summer home is a wooden one my parents received as a wedding gift in 1938. It works great and given the sentimental value too I wouldn't think of using anything else. The one I have at my other home I got at a thrift store for $5 and it is heavy metal and looks like it is from the 1940's era given the way it folds up. Love that one too. Both are of a size that you can't find ready made covers for but that's fine with me.

KathyM 08-14-2015 04:20 AM

The one I use my dad bought at some sale for 1.00, my son made a big board for the top with left over boards in his garage. The iron board is a great memory from my dad and the handy work from my son.

maviskw 08-14-2015 05:06 AM

I got my ironing board for my wedding from my bridesmaid in 1955. About 20 years ago, the folding mechanism gave out. I took it to my neighbor who would fix anything. He fixed it for $5. (Anything he fixed, it was always $5.) It still works well and hangs on my wall in the laundry room. (When it's not in use. A lot of the time it is standing at the ready.)

Pam S 08-14-2015 05:25 AM

My DD (a college sophomore) called me from the Goodwill in her college town to ask "Mom, is $5 a good price for an ironing board?" Told her grab that thing, you can always buy a new cover. I was amazed when I saw it. The cover was pristine and the board looked brand new. I guess somebody decided they weren't ever going to iron anything so they got rid of it.

gramajo 08-14-2015 05:58 AM

I got mine when I married 53 years ago. The tapered end folds out to make a squared end. I've been through many covers; my DD sews 2 regular covers together so I can still keep the squared end. The squared end stays out all the time--never need to iron clothes. BTW the board has lasted a lot longer than the marriage did.

Dakota Rose 08-14-2015 07:35 AM

I have 2 ironing boards: 1) is a metal one I got with green stamps in 1969. It is still very sturdy and is the one I use. 2) is a wooden one I picked up someplace that is not that sturdy but I use it for serving when I have a party. A colorful cloth on top changes with the theme and is always a conversation piece.

sparkys_mom 08-14-2015 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter (Post 7285902)
The ironing board I use at my summer home is a wooden one my parents received as a wedding gift in 1938. It works great and given the sentimental value too I wouldn't think of using anything else. The one I have at my other home I got at a thrift store for $5 and it is heavy metal and looks like it is from the 1940's era given the way it folds up. Love that one too. Both are of a size that you can't find ready made covers for but that's fine with me.

Hah! I was just thinking of the wooden one my mother had years ago. It was probably of the same era. I don't have an ironing board. I had made a large pressing board to go on top of my cutting board but it was so heavy I gave it away. Now I'm looking for an alternative that is 1) light 2) large surface and 3) can be used on top of my cutting mat without damage. My cutting table/mat is 32x60.

P-BurgKay 08-14-2015 08:09 AM

I am using my grandmother;s wood ironing board, with a big board on top of it, you cannot beat it