Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   A new ironing board! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-ironing-board-t268715.html)

P-BurgKay 08-14-2015 08:10 AM

Oh, yes, I am 70, so you know the old boards do hold up

JanieH 08-14-2015 08:30 AM

I "inherited" my ironing board from my mother when she moved to Tulsa in 1986. She had had it for at least 30 years before that which makes it about 60 years old. Wow! Had know idea it has hung around so long and still in great shape. Wish I could say the same thing about me!

nativetexan 08-14-2015 03:56 PM

I kept my old one but am using an 18 inch wide one from Wal-mart now. it's flimsy though., bends when I'm pressing. Not happy with it but like the width. Glad you found one you like and yes, the prices have really gone up since I bought my old one. Shock!

Onebyone 08-14-2015 04:38 PM

I have this one. Don't faint.

http://www.reliablecorporation.com/P...um_Board_C81_2

I bought it a long time ago from a tailor shop. Best ironing board I have ever used for quilting.

Claire123 08-14-2015 09:56 PM

I had to replace my a few years ago - for some mysterious reason it was rusting and looked terrible. I really like the "big boards" and have had one in the back of my mind. I also would like to make a traveling ironing mat (when I get caught up).

miriam 08-15-2015 03:42 AM

My ironing board died. The legs wouldn't stay up. I think it was used to begin with. I found an old wooden one in great shape at the thrift store and LOVE IT. About the same time I found 2 in the trash. one is made from some kind of metal mesh, the other is metal with big holes - magnets stick to them or you can hook things on them, build them out a little with a 2x4 and slide rulers behind them.

katydidkg 08-15-2015 03:56 AM

I'm using my grandmother's wooden ironing board, which is alittle wider than a reg ironing board. I'd love to have a quilter's ironing board made to fit over it.

AZ Jane 08-15-2015 06:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7285490)
I got mine at Costco, maybe 8-9 years ago. It's holding up fine, and I think I paid in the $35 range for it. It's a little wider than my old board, but I would like it to be wider still. And rectangular! Who needs that narrow end anyway? It's just annoying. I quit ironing clothing a very long time ago!

It's not that hard to make your ironing board rectangle. Use your board some plywood (hubby made 2 big boards with one sheet of plywood), strips of wood, batting and fabric. Now if I can fins the pictures!! Lay your ironing board on the plywood, draw shape of ironing board onto plywood, cut wood strips and apply (hubby used screws) just outside of drawn lines, cover finished board with batting and fabric (I used the staple gun). I have this one dedicated to quilting but you could take the big board off and still use for clothes ironing if needed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]527833[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]527834[/ATTACH]

AZ Jane 08-15-2015 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7285490)
I got mine at Costco, maybe 8-9 years ago. It's holding up fine, and I think I paid in the $35 range for it. It's a little wider than my old board, but I would like it to be wider still. And rectangular! Who needs that narrow end anyway? It's just annoying. I quit ironing clothing a very long time ago!

It's not that hard to make your ironing board rectangle. Use your board some plywood (hubby made 2 big boards with one sheet of plywood), strips of wood, batting and fabric. Now if I can fins the pictures!! Lay your ironing board on the plywood, draw shape of ironing board onto plywood, cut wood strips and apply (hubby used screws) just outside of drawn lines, cover finished board with batting and fabric (I used the staple gun). I have this one dedicated to quilting but you could take the big board off and still use for clothes ironing if needed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]527833[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]527834[/ATTACH]

IBQUILTIN 08-15-2015 11:07 AM

I have a 2 shelf metal unit with 2ft X6ft board across the top. Stapled a couple layers of batting on and covered it with a teflon (?) fabric. I hope it holds up a long time. I have replaced the top twice and finally decided on that shiny teflon to see how it takes the heat