Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   A new ironing board! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-ironing-board-t268715.html)

Ruby the Quilter 08-13-2015 10:39 AM

A new ironing board!

My ironing board that is about 30 years old, finally died. I tried to fix it but it wouldn't stay up. I couldn't believe the prices of new ones. I bought a $25 one at Target and took it back it was so wobbly and light weight. Went to Bed Bath and Beyond got a $50 one and it will last me as long as I am using an iron. You can spend $100 or more on one - who would have thought!!!!!

donnajean 08-13-2015 10:50 AM

My ironing board is probably 45-50 yrs. old, but I could not live without my Big Board on top now. I've had it for about 15 yrs.

judy363905 08-13-2015 10:56 AM

The price of ironing boards reflect what has happen to almost every household item... I would also guess that not every household has an ironing board, which could reflect the price also. IMHO. :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

PS mine was a shower gift 53 years ago from my Grandma

tessagin 08-13-2015 11:04 AM

Got mine when I got married the first time. Have painted it twice. Last time with rustoleum and I can still adjust it to any height. If Good Lord forbids, it dies, I'll use the top I made on a table or my workbench. You're right but mine was about $25.00 back then. I have probably 4pressing tops. My board, a 2x4 board and a June tailor pressing/cutting board. And a smaller one that fits in my sewing tote made from a clipboard. Love that everyone of these boards can be hung.

Originally Posted by donnajean (Post 7285387)
My ironing board is probably 45-50 yrs. old, but I could not live without my Big Board on top now. I've had it for about 15 yrs.

dunster 08-13-2015 12:01 PM

I got mine at Costco, maybe 8-9 years ago. It's holding up fine, and I think I paid in the $35 range for it. It's a little wider than my old board, but I would like it to be wider still. And rectangular! Who needs that narrow end anyway? It's just annoying. I quit ironing clothing a very long time ago!

yngldy 08-13-2015 12:51 PM

One lady at work used to say "Why would I have an iron, when I have a perfectly good dryer?" lol

Sometimes I use the Downey spray (tsp of downey with the rest water in a spray bottle,) spray on item, shake/snap while on hanger, no need to drench, and let dry, or put on damp. Feels good on a hot day. No need to iron at all.

My board is wood, paid less that $5.00 at swap meet and is at least 70 yrs. Works good enough for me!

QuiltNama 08-13-2015 04:16 PM

Got my latest board at the local Goodwill for 3.99. They always seem to have a selection of them.

roguequilter 08-13-2015 04:31 PM

[QUOTE=yngldy;7285532
My board is wood, paid less that $5.00 at swap meet and is at least 70 yrs. Works good enough for me![/QUOTE]
mine is wood also. found it in an old miners shack in the late 60's. a resort type place was using the old miners shacks to rent out to fishermen & hunters. i cleaned places for extra income. was told i could have the old ironing board. i cleaned it, put a cover on it & still use it. i've hauled it all over the United States as we followed hubbys construction jobs.

tranum 08-13-2015 07:36 PM

Mine is metal and was a wedding shower gift from Mom 50 years ago next month. DH made a wide board that fits over the top for quilting and it's removable if I need to press a shirt. I also have Mom's wooden board and I have removed the legs and painted it like an American flag. It hangs outside by our door in the summer and I get many comments on it. (saw it on Pintrest) I also have both Grandma's ironing boards !! Will be painting something Fall-ish on one of them someday.

''

Suzanne57 08-13-2015 08:36 PM

I finally got all the stuff for a big board: 2'x4' plywood, heavy duty aluminum foil, cotton batting and some lightweight canvas for the top. I thought I had a staple gun so had to buy another, and staples. Now, just to put it together. It will sit on 6 tubs that bring it up just to the right height. I will have enough leftovers to also make a small one using a wooden TV tray. I don't iron clothes either. The only time they see an iron is during construction and my other ironing board has the flimsy T legs.