Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Nails (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-nails-t46075.html)

AnnaK 05-16-2010 12:46 PM

For those with weak nails, I'll tell you what my grandmother handed down to us...Garlic, and I don't mean eat it. Rub it on your nails before you go to bed and put on some cotton gloves. Your nails will become strong guaranteed. Also, no chance of vampires attacking you while you sleep! Try it and tell me how you like it.

sharon b 05-16-2010 12:51 PM

I would say give them a bit ans see how it goes . They do take some adjusting :lol: I have mine done now , got them for sons wedding, don't know how long I will be able to afford keeping them up :roll: And when I don't have then I miss them :cry:

bj 05-16-2010 12:55 PM

I have awful nails, very thin and brittle. Needless to say, they are mostly short all the time. When I was still teaching, my friend (with beautiful fake nails) would send her first graders to my room with a canned soda and I'd open it for her and give the kids a sticker. I would get them sometimes when they made it to 4th grade and they would ask if I remembered them coming to my room with sodas. I thought it was pretty funny.

quiltluvr 05-16-2010 01:05 PM

Give it sometime to get used to them. Within a few weeks, you'll be so much more comfortable.

I used to get mine done, LOVED it! Went thru the adjustment of having them. My nails are weak and I bite so getting them sure helped. I gave them up when I stopped working and missed them. I go back to them in a NY minute if I could.

Post a pic if you can. :-)

adriansmom 05-16-2010 01:11 PM

When I had fake nails I kept them on the shorter side. I believe my nail technician called it the "sport" length. The nail would only extend an eighth of an inch over the fingertip. Pretty short, but I could still function. As you get used to them, you can try to go a bit longer. I wish I could afford to get them done again. Now I just get a manicure avery now and then.

reach for the stars 2 05-16-2010 01:28 PM

I like this!

reach for the stars 2 05-16-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
For those with weak nails, I'll tell you what my grandmother handed down to us...Garlic, and I don't mean eat it. Rub it on your nails before you go to bed and put on some cotton gloves. Your nails will become strong guaranteed. Also, no chance of vampires attacking you while you sleep! Try it and tell me how you like it.

I like this always was worried about to vampires

Dix 05-16-2010 02:08 PM

I have had fake nails for 20 years and recently had them taken off. Two weeks later I had them put back on. Love them. They are a nice length and I tell dh Nails are my vice, I don't smoke or drink (Maybe wine) so I will do nails. He is one who wanted me to get them back on and quit messing with my own, that were short and ugly looking. Bless his heart!

amandasgramma 05-16-2010 02:14 PM

I wore fake nails for over 20 yrs.....and I typed on my job!!! I retired, bought property that required me to use a chain saw (yip -- a chain saw --- who'd've thunk).....and decided I wouldn't wear them anymore. 5 yrs ago I took them off and was happy. Lately, I thought I wanted them again. Spent the bucks, got them...and took them off 2 weeks later. Never again. :thumbup:

Pam 05-16-2010 03:13 PM

For those who miss their nails and have extra time, I mean EXTRA time. You can get them done at a beauty academy. They need people to practice on, and they are very reasonably priced. Just a thought, but beware, it will take a LONG time. I used to be a nail tech, that is how I know.