Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Nails (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-nails-t46075.html)

quiltluvr 05-16-2010 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
For those who miss their nails and have extra time, I mean EXTRA time. You can get them done at a beauty academy. They need people to practice on, and they are very reasonably priced. Just a thought, but beware, it will take a LONG time. I used to be a nail tech, that is how I know.

Funny you mention that, Pam. The very first time I got mine was with my BF and that's where we went. They even ran a coupon in the paper for them. We had such a good time. She can grow her nails which later she preferred. I was hooked.

clem55 05-16-2010 03:51 PM

I love my fake nails!! But they do make typing and picking up pins harder. That is why my spelling seems so bad at times, keep hitting the wronmg key( or keys!!)

BellaBoo 05-16-2010 05:04 PM

I love having manicured nails but not long nails. When I worked the bright polish was frown upon as not having a professional image, I think a visible tattoo would have been less frowned at. LOL So I always had clear or tinted pink. It's so easy to go get a manicure now compared to how you use to have to go to a salon with appointment. The nail shops seem to be on every corner.

Honey 05-16-2010 07:32 PM

I have my nails done, but keep them fairly short. I guess I just got used to working with them.

patricej 05-16-2010 11:52 PM

i will live on tuna fish if that's what it takes to afford my acrylic nails. :lol:

it's true they get in the way if i let them get too long. i have also found that the ideal length is a bit over 1/8" past my fingertips. i can fingerpress more precisely; use them to manipulate the needle when i hand-stitch; don't need scissors to open any but the most heavily taped packages; the list goes on.

give them a chance. you may find that what you have "on hand" (pun intended) is a pretty and totally portable tool kit. ;-) :lol:

sewcrafty 05-17-2010 03:16 AM

Fake nails and real nails are totally different to deal with. I did the fake ones one time and won't do it again. Really a different feel to them.

I usually have long nails, but due to all the scrubbing, painting, staining, etc. they broke and are starting to grow out again. Probably at about mid-length at this point. I usually keep 3 coats of polish for strength on them, but due to the projects, no polish. So chip, snap, etc. 2 coats polish and 1 top coat. Nails will grow very quick.

Olivia's Grammy 05-17-2010 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
My natural nails grow very fast and I used to keep them looking good and polished.........not anymore! I can't do a thing with long nails! I don't know how others do it with very long ones! These are not my nails! :lol:

There are "certain things" I wonder how they do with nails this long. I had the fake nails when I worked. I really found the fake nails came in handy for hand quilting, bc you didn't have to use a thimble to push the needle back and forth. I kept them fairly short, didn't want to spend the time after I quit working. I have to trim my nails back pretty often.

CarrieAnne 05-17-2010 05:44 AM

I have awful nails...chewed them as a kid and they never did look nice. I garden, ect, so I dont think mine will ever be pretty!

brushandthimble 05-17-2010 06:06 AM

I take care of my own, had them long at one time, now I prefer to keep them much shorter, no polish.
I try to keep all of them looking the same length, and chip free.
I'd rather use my time quilting LOL

polly13 05-17-2010 06:17 AM

My kids gave me an appointment to get acrylic nails one Christmas. I never realized how much feeling in my nails controls my daily movements. Loved the look, but not the feel. My arthritic hands need pretty nails, but my own split so easily on the end. Have tried so many polishes that are supposed to heal every problem, but nothing works. Will have to try the garlic, though not sure DH will like the idea.