Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   No Black Friday Shopping, anyone else refrain? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/no-black-friday-shopping-anyone-else-refrain-t308365.html)

Chasing Hawk 12-01-2019 10:26 AM

I did, mainly because I have a hard time keeping gifts hidden until Christmas.....lol I will shop as close to Christmas as I can and still get things delivered on time. Everyone else who lives out of my general area gets gift cads. Like Mom, my siblings and the kids and grand kids who usually get one card for the family.

Lady Diana 12-01-2019 10:48 AM

I have been doing my shopping on line for years....best way to find bargains, numerous per hour, rather than walking, browsing and trying to find the right size and color.....just shop online and everything is a click away.
As far as going to the mall.....I do for a short visit, but I found incredible Black Friday deals at Macys on line, where, if at the mall, I may not find that item or the right size. I found Duck Boots Originals that were $ 75, on black Friday they were $19.99! found lots of savings on all kinds of items. Will do this every year. Amazon is my other favorite. Sometimes, no tax, all free shipping and delivered to my door in records time. don't have to pay for gas or find a parking space.....

annievee 12-01-2019 11:13 AM

No BF for me, did buy online fabric at about 2 am--no waiting in line. Hope to find good deal on batting this week. Grans just basically want the 'green' stuff which is ok with us. DD said they love shopping for what they 'want' during after Christmas sales. Will make some Christmas pillowcases and get in the mail soon as well as pecans that they like !

rjwilder 12-01-2019 02:10 PM

I shopped online at Amazon for an iRobot Roomba, it was $100. off. I’ve been wanting one so I finally got it. Other than that, no shopping. We live in Florida, grandkids are 13, 19 and 21 so we wire them money. Nothing I buy will be what they want plus the cost to ship it is outrageous. They shop after Christmas and hit some good sales. I spent the weekend sewing, quilting, embroidering and helping my hubby with power washing. Spent Thanksgiving playing golf and eating with friends.

Iceblossom 12-01-2019 02:41 PM

In terms of shopping for Christmas, I haven't done Black Friday in at least 20 years... we gave up exchanging gifts in the family at least 10 years ago as well. We all had what we wanted. In terms of good deals, I've been known to buy some things here and there. A couple of years ago my hubby's work had a "giving tree" and one of the only things the young girl asked for was a sewing machine, so I watched and got a nice deal on a Brother at Walmart, it was when the order ahead and pick up first came out and it was not that bad an experience, but even getting in/out of the parking lot of Walmart on BF is an experience.

So anyway, we did go out on Friday and we did buy something but it was to a small business and we are on their mailing list, I don't sign up for many lists :)

And I don't think it counts, but I completely trashed my aluminum canning kettle/pot that I used as my big cooking dish. Not putting food into that ever again! So we looked at Costco last time we were there but for once they didn't have any of the stock pots, not in the restaurant section area, and we ordered one from Amazon that came Friday. Made turkey stock that afternoon! It has the different baskets and such and I'm going to try making tamales from a thread in the Recipe section with that stock.

Last year I think I did 4 Goodwills and made quite the haul. Went did our thrift run today after bowling as usual and the stores had a lot of space, must have been one heck of a deal. I got a pair of leggings on tag day (half price), so I think they were $3, and a pink tag CD that is a compilation from what was my favorite music station for close to 20 years. They changed formats a few years ago and I've been sort of lost, found one I liked and then after 2 years it changed format. Anyway, I've been picking up these compilation CDs, must have 10 now and it's like having the radio but no ads.

Rhonda K 12-01-2019 03:39 PM

Revised response. I bought two instant pots today. I finally decided to try one and found a leftover BF deal. DD visited today and I asked if she was interested in one too. She was definitely. Two clicks later and a second IP is on it's way.

ladyinpurple135 12-01-2019 03:39 PM

No Black Friday shopping but I have been doing some cyber shopping - I bought an Accuquilt Go! Big! for me. I have the regular Go! but finally decided to go big������!!! And I just put s Dyson sweeper in reserve at Bed Bath & Beyond with pickup tomorrow. Great price and my son let me know they could really use this one for their stairs. My mom always gave us something for the house and this is what they need - now and for the new house which will hopefully be ready sometime next September. My husband decided just to get what we each wanted/needed. I bought a new printer (needed desperately) and he’s going to order a pair of western boots. His gift cost twice as much and a little more than mine so I’ll go quilt shop shopping later this week.

sewbizgirl 12-01-2019 04:31 PM

Tomorrow is Cyber Monday, where we can shop from home. Anyone found any good websites for quilters or knitters that have good Cyber Monday sales?

Claire123 12-01-2019 11:50 PM

Yes, I have to admit, I love Black Friday. I generally get smaller items, no electronics. I only go to stores where everyone is nice and very well behaved. I get lots of smaller items - a wallet for my SIL, hats/gloves and the like. It's fun for us. We find some deals, eat out somewhere informal and enjoy the other shoppers.

SusieQOH 12-02-2019 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8335029)
Tomorrow is Cyber Monday, where we can shop from home. Anyone found any good websites for quilters or knitters that have good Cyber Monday sales?

Sewbizgirl- I have seen a lot of sales but 20 % doesn't do it for me!!!