Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   No Green Beans!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/no-green-beans-t144472.html)

Pinkiris 08-11-2011 04:15 PM

We planted the same pole beans at the end of May as we always do. Lots of vines and leaves sprouted. As of yesterday, we have harvested 3 (that's right, three) beans! We gave them a dose of Miracle Gro about 10 days ago. Plenty of rain this year, and we've watered when the garden got dry. Bean package says 62 days to harvest. We've passed that date!

Anybody else having this problem? My husband wonders if it's lack of bees for pollination. I can't imagine what the problem is, but I'm hungry for fresh green beans!

Sue :? :?

quilt1950 08-11-2011 04:21 PM

I will be watching this post. This happened to us last year. Lots of blossoms. Not one bean. Didn't try again this year.

JeannieT 08-11-2011 04:26 PM

our garden guys on TV just said last week that the problem is that most stuf is not getting pollinated!! Last year we were giving away dozens of cucumbers every week, but so far this season,we have only picked 3 and there are only 3 more growing......lots of flowers but not many bees...same for my rasberries...hopefully it will get better!

needles3thread 08-11-2011 04:29 PM

We need more bees to pollinate them.

Pinkiris 08-11-2011 04:32 PM

A nearby farmer brought in bee boxes and placed them at the edge of his sweet corn field. It's within walking distance of our garden. Maybe his bees are sticking to the job that they were hired for!!

Sue

ube quilting 08-11-2011 04:33 PM

It's very interesting that DH suggested That the lack of bees could have someting to do with this problem. He could be right on target. There is a decline in the bee population in America and in the future it will wreck havock on farming. Even though the honey be is an intoduced species from England they have become a very important part of our ecosystem and we are destroying it at a faster and faster pace. You should google about the bee problem. You will be amazed at these wonderful little creatures and what is happening to them. Maybe start a hive of your own!

I love green beans and am saddened for you not to have any this year.
peace

luv-e 08-11-2011 04:35 PM

My DH has to take a kids paint brush and to the deed!!!!!
We are have major problems with NO bees....
We had to do our Zucchini that way.......
Told to plant flowers on the border of garden....
We also have a Herb Garden too, that helps....
Sorry about no beans :( :(
We are planting more today.....

Aunt Sue 08-11-2011 04:35 PM

Beans are the only thing that is growing for us.....too bad we couldn't have a veggie swap...lol. I don't think they would travel well. I will trade you beans for zucchini...lol

ube quilting 08-11-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
A nearby farmer brought in bee boxes and placed them at the edge of his sweet corn field. It's within walking distance of our garden. Maybe his bees are sticking to the job that they were hired for!!

Sue

This is funny 'cause corn is pollinated by the wind. Does he have fruit trees too? They need bees.

suzee 08-11-2011 04:43 PM

I have the same exact problem. Incredible foliage but no beans. =( I've got squash, melons, tomatoes beets and carrots, but no beans. Go figure.