Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   October Weight Loss Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/october-weight-loss-challenge-t254453.html)

PenniF 10-02-2014 08:36 AM

Hi everyone....still waiting to hear who won the September challenge.
Just tried a new recipe last night -so thought I would share. NOTE: these are all OLD WW points system.

Apple Crumble WW style
2 apples 3 1/2" diameter - cored, pealed and sliced thin - less than 1/4" slices so they cook fast (2 points each)
I used Fuji apples
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar ( 1 1/2 points)
About 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon - i like cinnamon - about a generous sprinkle
pinch of salt
3 Quaker Chewy bars - Oatmeal cookie flavor - (total 3 points)
I can't believe it's not butter in the pump spray - 0
1 tablespoon of water - 0
Pam spray - 0

I used a Corelle baking dish i have that is about 7" square X 2" deep - which 2 apples filled almost to the top.

Heat oven to 350
Mix apple slices with sugar, cinnamon and salt in bowl - let sit about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, crumble up the 3 Quaker chewy bars

Spray baking dish with Pam - pour apple mixture into baking dish - put the 1 tablespoon of water into the bowl that had the apples in and swish around to get any juice or sugar left behind - pour over apples. Spritz apples with "butter" spray. Sprinkle Quaker chewy bar crumble over the apples evenly. Spritz top again with "butter" spray. I did 5 spritzes.
Ok...here is where you are going to throw something at me....i forgot to exactly time the baking -- but i am guessing that it was somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes....til the top was starting to brown and a poke of the apples showed they were softened.

Total points - 8 1/2 for the whole thing.
DH ate half last night - i had already exhausted my points for the day so i didn't have mine. He's a picky guy who doesn't hold back if my cooking experiments don't pan out - and he said that it was really good.

I thought that given that with most apple pies you only get a 1/8 pie slice for 8 points, this was pretty good.
Hope you try it, you'll like it too.

meanmom 10-02-2014 02:31 PM

I will announce the winner tomorrow for September. I haven't heard from a lot of people.I have been pretty busy here. Not getting much accomplished. I have a class to teach in November and I have been trying to get things started for that. My guild is having a sewing day next Saturday and I need to cut my fabric for that. My machine is in the shop, I am hoping they call tomorrow so I can pick it up on Saturday. It is not a pleasant drive to get there after work. There are 2 shops closer to me that fix Janome machines but I don't like them.
I made chicken stir fry for dinner. It was so good. One of the reasons I made it was to save WW points so i could have popcorn when we went out tonight. My DH just called and cancelled. I guess I can eat another goodie. WHat do I want?
Pat

meanmom 10-03-2014 06:47 PM

AND THE WINNER FOR SEPTEMBER IS JEANNE49! Congratulations on your 5.2 pound loss. Great job. Everyone else keep up the good work. There were some pretty good losses.
So far for October I have the following signed up. meanmom, megan731, PenniF, Pam H, Pete, Bjsmith57, TeddybearLady, CindyA, Raggiemom, Jeanne49.
I received 3 months of FQ today from Pete. Wow that ws fast.
I have my WW meeting tomorrow. We had pizza twice this week. I am not expecting good news at the scales. I can't resist pizza. I am back on plan and trying to eat correctly now.
Pat

PenniF 10-04-2014 08:19 AM

Congratulations Jeanne49 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't get my FQs out yet - I have next week "off" from taking care of my 1 year old DGD - so plan to get A LOT of Christmas quilting done --- and also will send out my FQs.
Good luck in October everyone !

jeanne49 10-04-2014 07:10 PM

OMG!!! I can't believe I won, especially after reading about some of the losses in Aug. I never in my wildest imagination thought I was even close to being the biggest loser. Thank you all, but ladies please remember the holidays are coming up and we all know how hard it is to refuse all the homebaked goodies everyone makes.

meganc731 10-04-2014 08:53 PM

Congratulations Jeanne!!! Great job!

Pete 10-05-2014 06:57 PM

PenniF - I have had my thyroid tested (every year) --- my problem is I have Fibromyalgia AND Sjogrens Syndrome (an auto immune disease related to Lupus and RA) and both cause fatigue. When I have my flares I don't even have energy to raise my arms. So - I just roll with the punches!!!! Unfortunately, on good days I have too much energy to raise my hands to my mouth!! ;-)

Jeanne - Congrats!!!!! Hope one day to see me as the winner. Give us your secret for willpower.

meganc731 10-05-2014 08:45 PM

Hey Pete,

Fellow FMSer here! I haven't heard of Sjogrens though. Just sayin' hi :D

Megan

Pam H 10-06-2014 09:18 AM

I think I forgot to subscribe to this thread. Oops!
Anyone interested in some ideas for snacks? Here you go!
http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-n...ition_20141005

jeanne49 10-06-2014 12:53 PM

Thank you everyone for the congrats. I'm in again for Oct., and I will send my FQ's for the next 3 months. I don't have any secrets to losing but I did cut out the diet soda, I was drinking way too much so now I'm back to my water and hot tea. Here's wishing everyone good luck!!