Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: October Weight Loss Challenge

Blog Entries

October Weight Loss Challenge

October Weight loss challenge

October 2014 Weight Loss Adventure with Prize!!
    On October 1st, weigh yourself and write it down. DO NOT send it to me. On October 31st, weigh yourself again and PM your loss. This is weight lost not percentage lost. I will announce the winner on November 3rd.

The prize is a themed FQ from each member. Once a winner is declared, I will contact the winner and FQ's will be mailed by the 6th.

Private message (PM) me for the mailing address. All FQ's should be mailed by the 15th of the month. You need to check in on the thread at least once a week to be eligible for the winning "skinny quarters aka FQ's" and to be declared the "biggest loser" for the month.

You cannot win 2 months in a row.

Chit Chat is allowed, as wells as WAYWO (what are you working on). Please stay positive and uplifting as possible to keeps us all on track. Share tips, recipes, encouraging words and {{{HUGS}}}
    IN October the leaves should be beautiful, and the weather cooler so lets find some creative ways to exercise. So lets see how we can play with some Christmas FQ's. Please send quality fabric that you would want to receive in return. As always if you don't have the theme, send what you have. If you don't have a FQ, then send a linear 1/4 yard. If you have signed up to be in the running for the prize, please send your FQ to the hostess by the 15th of the month. As the winner has worked hard for her prize.

Eat healthy, exercise, make wise choices and lose weight but most of all have fun!!!

Sign up deadline to be a part of the PRIZE adventure is September 4th at 9 pm cst. You are encourage to contribute to the thread even if you are not in for the prize.

To let me know you are participating just post on the thread and then send a PM for the mailing address.

Happy to be in again for October....still haven't touched the scale - so Tuesday's a big day.
    Will hold off sending my Christmas fabric til I see if you decide on the Nov and Dec theme. Will be sending a linear 1/4 as both my favorite Christmas fabrics are linear patterns- and i think that would be more useful than cutting a FQ.
    Thanks again for hostess-ing !
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

I'm in for October. I really need to buckle down and get rid of this last 10 lbs.

Blog Entries
    I guess a good theme for the next 3 months would be October/ Christmas, November/ red and December/ your choice. Good luck everyone.

Blog Entries
    I'm still in ......thanks again for doing this!!!!!
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

I am in again for October, November and December. I will send you (3) three Christmas themed fat quarters.

Thanks for hosting again.
    bjsmith57
    bjsmith57

I want to be in again. I'll go pick out my FQ's and get them in the mail next week. I haven't done anything positive on the weight loss challenge. I'm going to get my head in gear and get back on track. Well, at least that's what I want to do.

I won't be officially in (with fat quarters) this month, but will follow along on the thread.

I'm in, I still have 15 pounds to go to reach my goal.
    Heather

I'm in!!!

Hi everyone....still waiting to hear who won the September challenge.
    Just tried a new recipe last night -so thought I would share. NOTE: these are all OLD WW points system.

Apple Crumble WW style
    2 apples 3 1/2" diameter - cored, pealed and sliced thin - less than 1/4" slices so they cook fast (2 points each)
    I used Fuji apples
    1 1/2 tablespoon sugar ( 1 1/2 points)
    About 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon - i like cinnamon - about a generous sprinkle
    pinch of salt
    3 Quaker Chewy bars - Oatmeal cookie flavor - (total 3 points)
    I can't believe it's not butter in the pump spray - 0
    1 tablespoon of water - 0
    Pam spray - 0

I used a Corelle baking dish i have that is about 7" square X 2" deep - which 2 apples filled almost to the top.

Heat oven to 350
    Mix apple slices with sugar, cinnamon and salt in bowl - let sit about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, crumble up the 3 Quaker chewy bars

Spray baking dish with Pam - pour apple mixture into baking dish - put the 1 tablespoon of water into the bowl that had the apples in and swish around to get any juice or sugar left behind - pour over apples. Spritz apples with "butter" spray. Sprinkle Quaker chewy bar crumble over the apples evenly. Spritz top again with "butter" spray. I did 5 spritzes.
    Ok...here is where you are going to throw something at me....i forgot to exactly time the baking -- but i am guessing that it was somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes....til the top was starting to brown and a poke of the apples showed they were softened.

Total points - 8 1/2 for the whole thing.
    DH ate half last night - i had already exhausted my points for the day so i didn't have mine. He's a picky guy who doesn't hold back if my cooking experiments don't pan out - and he said that it was really good.

I thought that given that with most apple pies you only get a 1/8 pie slice for 8 points, this was pretty good.
    Hope you try it, you'll like it too.

Blog Entries
    I will announce the winner tomorrow for September. I haven't heard from a lot of people.I have been pretty busy here. Not getting much accomplished. I have a class to teach in November and I have been trying to get things started for that. My guild is having a sewing day next Saturday and I need to cut my fabric for that. My machine is in the shop, I am hoping they call tomorrow so I can pick it up on Saturday. It is not a pleasant drive to get there after work. There are 2 shops closer to me that fix Janome machines but I don't like them.
    I made chicken stir fry for dinner. It was so good. One of the reasons I made it was to save WW points so i could have popcorn when we went out tonight. My DH just called and cancelled. I guess I can eat another goodie. WHat do I want?
    Pat

Blog Entries
    AND THE WINNER FOR SEPTEMBER IS JEANNE49! Congratulations on your 5.2 pound loss. Great job. Everyone else keep up the good work. There were some pretty good losses.
    So far for October I have the following signed up. meanmom, megan731, PenniF, Pam H, Pete, Bjsmith57, TeddybearLady, CindyA, Raggiemom, Jeanne49.
    I received 3 months of FQ today from Pete. Wow that ws fast.
    I have my WW meeting tomorrow. We had pizza twice this week. I am not expecting good news at the scales. I can't resist pizza. I am back on plan and trying to eat correctly now.
    Pat

Congratulations Jeanne49 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't get my FQs out yet - I have next week "off" from taking care of my 1 year old DGD - so plan to get A LOT of Christmas quilting done --- and also will send out my FQs.
    Good luck in October everyone !

OMG!!! I can't believe I won, especially after reading about some of the losses in Aug. I never in my wildest imagination thought I was even close to being the biggest loser. Thank you all, but ladies please remember the holidays are coming up and we all know how hard it is to refuse all the homebaked goodies everyone makes.

Congratulations Jeanne!!! Great job!

Blog Entries
    PenniF - I have had my thyroid tested (every year) --- my problem is I have Fibromyalgia AND Sjogrens Syndrome (an auto immune disease related to Lupus and RA) and both cause fatigue. When I have my flares I don't even have energy to raise my arms. So - I just roll with the punches!!!! Unfortunately, on good days I have too much energy to raise my hands to my mouth!! ;-)

Jeanne - Congrats!!!!! Hope one day to see me as the winner. Give us your secret for willpower.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Hey Pete,

Fellow FMSer here! I haven't heard of Sjogrens though. Just sayin' hi

Megan

I think I forgot to subscribe to this thread. Oops!
    Anyone interested in some ideas for snacks? Here you go!
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-n...ition_20141005

Thank you everyone for the congrats. I'm in again for Oct., and I will send my FQ's for the next 3 months. I don't have any secrets to losing but I did cut out the diet soda, I was drinking way too much so now I'm back to my water and hot tea. Here's wishing everyone good luck!!

Blog Entries
    I have Halloween candy and it is making me eat it! It just keeps jumping into my mouth. HELP I put it out on the counter, hopefully my DS and DH will finish it while I am upstairs sewing.

I bought a big bag of Halloween candy at Sam's Club a couple of weeks ago. It keeps calling to me every night from the pantry. So far I have not opened it. Once I do, I'm in trouble.
    Tomorrow morning I will drive to Iowa to visit my mom for a couple of days. I spent my evening making binding and putting a backing together. On my way tomorrow I will drop off a quilt to a friend who is a long arm quilter. If you get McCall's quilt magazine, check out the quilt on the November cover. Penny quilted it. Anyway, she was inspired by the song that was Hoda Kotb's inspiration to put Brave and True Colors together that is raising money for pediatric cancer. If you haven't seen the video, you should check it out. Penny's friend had a daughter die from cancer. On Valentine's Day this girl would have been 25. Penny is collecting quilts that will be given to children with cancer on Valentine's Day at the hospital where this girl received treatment. I'm thinking about contacting Hoda to tell her about it. Sorry for the rant but I'm pretty excited about it. I am donating one of my mystery quilts.
    Last edited by Pam H; 10-06-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Halloween candy is not allowed in our house yet My friend was over this weekend for her birthday dinner, we had quesadilla's but I'm low carbing so I had a quesadilla with just one low carb tortilla on the bottom. I was fine with all our snacks and dinner and didn't break my rules, but I knew I had to have a cupcake because my daughter made them and she just finished a cake decorating class and spent at least two hours decorating the cupcakes. I cut the bottom half off and ate just the top with the frosting. It was sooo good and if it hadn't been that my husband jumped up and cleaned up the plates and took my knife I would have just dived in for another one!! Haven't had to use that much will power in a long time. Happy to say that there have been 5 more cupcakes in the kitchen all day and I wasn't tempted at all today

Is anyone else rediscovering their wardrobe? My breaking point was when my fat-fat jeans started getting tight, not only were they getting tight but they were wearing out. I refused to buy anything larger and I was down to 2 pairs of jeans that I was constantly washing and rotating. Now that I'm finally losing some weight my regular-fat jeans are starting to fit again and I actually wore my skinny-fat jeans on date night this weekend, they were still a touch tight, but not bad. About 3 Christmas's ago I bought my husband about 5 new pairs of pants from his favorite store. He was getting dressed for a Christmas party and realized his pants didn't fit so I gave him his new pants early and they were all too small. He was devastated but refused to return them and swore he was going to lose weight and fit into them. It was the first time in his life he'd been at a weight that made him uncomfortable. Anyway he didn't lose weight until recently and he tried them on and they all fit! He was so happy! I have so many things that I would love to shrink back into. I saved it all, but I've gone through it periodically and weeded out things that I though were out of style.

Blog Entries
    I just found out that my Fitbit zip is machine washable. One of the kids I work closely with has bed bugs. I found one on the back of his shirt this morning. Took it in a tissue to the nurse for verification. SHe supposedly checked him(it took about 30 seconds) and said there weren't any more. About 45 minutes later we were taking a big state standardized test. Not supposed to be allowed to leave the room etc. He stands up and yells I can't stand it there are bugs biting me all over. The nurse found 2 more. They called home and grandma said we just had our last treatment on Thursday. They brought him clothes to change into and there were more bugs on them. I am sooooooooo grossed out. Every time I itch anywhere I freak out. They have known about the bugs for weeks. Hopefully I didn't bring any home. Ewwwwwwww!

Oh my gosh, Pat!!! That is one of my worst fears (bed bugs). My neighbor manages apartment buildings and says they are really hard to get rid of. Be careful!! Is the test considered valid? Or will you have to report it and reschedule?

No more Halloween candy, ladies! LOL We have too far to go before the end of the month. I resisted buying any tonight. I looked, but then kept walking.

Pam, that is very exciting. I think you should try and contact Hoda.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast