Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   OMG! Gas prices! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/omg-gas-prices-t102570.html)

newquilter10 02-25-2011 01:11 PM

We drive a truck also for camping only, which our whole family likes, and drive a minivan at home that gets good milegae. I live in a rural area and those farmers need the big trucks. Gas is only high because someone reaps the benifits of it being high.

Alternative fuels could be found now if there were not so many making money off the oil now. Too much money in their pockets to let ethanol, wind power etc to make it onto the scene.

newquilter10 02-25-2011 01:21 PM

I forgot to add that the last time prices went up we did not drive as much. Made a trip to town worth it by planning and doing more than one thing. We live in a very small community and do not even have a store for a loaf of bread, no Dr.s etc so do have to drive.

We need to conserve all the time and maybe it would help.

Blueyeswv 02-25-2011 01:23 PM

I filled up today and it was 3.73.ugh,Mary

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I stopped to fill up my car tonight about 9:30 pm. The clerk told me to be sure and fill it full as the price was going up at midnight. And will probably be $4 a gallon in a few weeks. :-(

quiltnut4ever 02-25-2011 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
I filled up at 11 a.m for $3.12. and on my way to work at 2 p.m. it was $3.25. It doesn't take long to go up.

I agree I filled up the work vehicle at 3.23 and leaving to go home it went to 3.35! Stay-cation this year!

Ok i take that back...IT'S NOW $3.41! Argh!

Maksi 02-25-2011 01:56 PM

Here it is 1,70 euro a liter. 1,70 in Euro's is about 2,34 in dollars.
1 Gallon is 3,785 ltr, so for one Gallon we pay about 8,85 in dollars

lvaughan 02-25-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Claddaughquilting
Unfortunately, the price of oil seems to only rise, rarely fall, so I think everyone will have to find ways to reduce. I have started consolidating my messages, so I go out less often, walking more, leaving my car in the driveway.
My DH convinced me two years ago to install a geothermal heating system for our house. We live in the suburbs of Montreal, and paid a substantial amount to be rid of oil heating. Heating with geothermal is cheap, and green! Upfront costs are high, but with the ever increasing price of oil, we think it has a 5 year payback. I have started seeing a few houses in my city converting. Yes, DH was right, it was a good idea.

We installed a ground source heat pump (geothermal) about seven years ago and are very happy with it. Our family has always considered the cost of heating and cooling, we built our house with 2X6 walls with extra insulation in the attic. I would never consider us to be "green", just frugal. My parents lived the same way, it just came down to how you want to spend your money. I would rather spend a little more on something like insulation and geothermal H/A and be more comfortable living in our home. We also drive more fuel efficient vehicles, but to each his own. We must each decide for ourselves. Yes, our decisions can be called "green" but that was not the driving force behind them.

Margie 02-25-2011 05:02 PM

Really glad I have a stash...trying not to buy anything.

Quiltbin 02-25-2011 06:06 PM

Our gas price in S.E. Kansas today is $3.39!

dljennings 02-25-2011 06:31 PM

have you seen the price for diesel!! our fuel surcharge at work is up to 26%... so add that to the cost of shipping everything you purchase... cause it all comes on a truck... i guess i will be shopping my stash a lot more!

Nettie Phillips 02-25-2011 06:37 PM

We will all probably be doing more quilting instead of going if you
have a good stash.