Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   OMG! Gas prices! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/omg-gas-prices-t102570.html)

dljennings 02-25-2011 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by cinnya

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I don't think gas prices are high enough yet. SUV's and big PU trucks are still big sellers. Every time I go to the PO there is someone in a big gas guzzler, leaves engine running while they go in and get their mail, comes back and reads mail in vehicle with engine still running... (and this is in moderate temps so it's not for heating or cooling)

If I was in charge I would add taxes on until it was $10 a gallon, use the extra money to fund alternative energy (domestic) and a subsidy for low-income drivers. Then see if they still want to keep the engine idling.

Wow just WOW...I am glad you are not in charge :shock:
Do you realise what $10.00 gas would add on to the cost of transportation ,any goods that have to be moved ???You can forget about subsidizing low income drivers, they would need that for food.
as long as People who drive the big vehicles are paying for them and paying for the gas that is going in them with their money, it is their business, nobody elses.

Had to edit.............Yes ,I am one of those people who drive a big truck.

i agree.. i deal with fuel costs everyday at work.. we have a fuel surcharge on every shipment that is 26% of the frt chgs.. so if you ship 10 shipments @ 100.0 per bill.. that is 1000.00 + 260.00 fuel ... that causes the shipper's or consignee's costs to go up, and we all know who pays for that in the long run.. it is always the end consumer.

jojosnana 02-25-2011 07:48 PM

They said on world news to expect gas to be about $5 by Memorial day.

donnalynett 02-25-2011 07:55 PM

Why should I have to pay a "luxury" tax as suggested in one post just because I drive a large 4x4 pickup? Have you ever tried to pull a livestock trailer with a small vehicle?

Gramof6 02-25-2011 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by cinnya

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I don't think gas prices are high enough yet. SUV's and big PU trucks are still big sellers. Every time I go to the PO there is someone in a big gas guzzler, leaves engine running while they go in and get their mail, comes back and reads mail in vehicle with engine still running... (and this is in moderate temps so it's not for heating or cooling)

If I was in charge I would add taxes on until it was $10 a gallon, use the extra money to fund alternative energy (domestic) and a subsidy for low-income drivers. Then see if they still want to keep the engine idling.

Wow just WOW...I am glad you are not in charge :shock:
Do you realise what $10.00 gas would add on to the cost of transportation ,any goods that have to be moved ???You can forget about subsidizing low income drivers, they would need that for food.
as long as People who drive the big vehicles are paying for them and paying for the gas that is going in them with their money, it is their business, nobody elses.

Had to edit.............Yes ,I am one of those people who drive a big truck.

Ditto Cinnya! If this person thinks $10 a gallon gas is the answer, they must have more money than sense! That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard! High gas prices means high priced everything!!! Everything!!! And I do have an SUV out of necessity and my DH has a lg pickup that he pulls a trailer with, for work. We pay dearly for our vehicles and without a red cent of help or subsidy because we budget & can. We also pay dearly for every drop of gas we put in these vehicles. It is "our" choice & perrogative to do so, but we still do not enjoy high costs! Not at all! That means my DH has to work that many more days away from home & I have it all here to handle. Alone. I will say that there is not 1 reason for the gas prices to be escalating right now! None! Commodity Brokers can be blamed for these prices!!! They control "ALL"prices. Become educated people! BTW My DH is in the Oil Business and we have had paycuts after paycuts within the last year. So don't blame the Oil folks. Not unless you are willing to park your vehicles and walk everywhere you go AND give up all petrolium products.

edited to also say that I just cringe with the prices rising on everything except what you grow. Then you have to pay to water, fertilize, treat for pests, etc. So in every way, we are all going to pay out our noses. If we could get our oil & gas from E Coast, W Coast, Alaska and not have to depend on foreign oil, we would be much better off here in the US in every way regarding everything. I will not say1 more word about this topic except that I feel the pinch like all of you & will continue. Not happily, but I will still feel it & make do the best I can!

What happened when the Gulf of Mexico shut down? Remember? Prices shot up! Jobs were lost, businesses gone bust. We watched gas escalate daily here on our corner. Outta here!

donnalynett 02-25-2011 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyPaw

Originally Posted by DebsShelties

Originally Posted by DirtyPaw

Originally Posted by Grammy o'5
With the unrest in Libya, following what happened Egypt, it is inevitable, and it will effect all aspects of our lives.

And, of course, those that can buy stock in oil will probably do well.

I probably should not broche this subject but here I am. Oil is controlled by OPEC and they are the ones that control the price of oil. Also it is based on supply and demand. Now keep in mind oil is almost everywhere in the world so there is no shortage of it at all. So if you consider the fact that OPEC also determines just how much oil they feel like putting on the market they can control the price. They do the same thing with diamonds. Diamonds are everywhere but they only allow a few on the market every year.

Respectfully submitted,

OPEC may be in some control, however if the fighting were to errupt in the larger oil source countries and things got shut down, they have lost any control they had. Shortages would happen quickly and spikes in prices would happen.
They are afraid of this happening, it was in today's Wall Street Journal.

I have decided this is my last post in regard to this subject since I do not come here to get into passionate subjects about the condition of the world.

I was in the Army and am a veteran of the Viet Nam era and was a homicide cop for many many years but now retired. I respect all opinions but I suppose I am wore out from being in combat in one form or another my entire life.

LOL I knew better that to get involved in this one.

Many blessings...

A BIG thank you for serving! Donna

purplefiend 02-25-2011 09:53 PM

I paid $3.20 a gallon today, yesterday it was $2.99.

biscuitqueen 02-25-2011 10:17 PM

Gas prices expected to be close to $6 a galon this summer.

Jannie 02-25-2011 11:19 PM

We are above $3.65 today. At this rate, it will be $4 before spring hits.

Gramof6 02-26-2011 01:09 AM

I do apologize if my post sounded angry. Angry I am not. I just don't like my toes being stomped on when I am feeling the pinch & have been & will cont. to cut corners. It is nobody's business what I drive, because nobody pays for it or the gas to go in it, but me. We should all support each other during these hard times. Not post that we wish something like the price of gas to go to $10 a gallon!!! That would make it impossible for some to have money for food, meds, or anything else. Much less have money to sew with. I do not wish for any of you to suffer more. And common sense is that the higher gas costs us, the higher everything else will cost us. That is going to really & truly hurt a great deal of people. And that hurts me. We all need to give a lot of thought as to how we are going to handle this in our personal lives. Each household is different. I care about you all. I do. And I just wanted to let you all know that while I am not angry, I do apologize if I came across as that. I am very concerned about this Country. I will def. hush on this now. Take Care all of you & may God Bless you all. HUGE HUGS

mommafank 02-26-2011 06:09 AM

Unfortunatley there is too much dissention here in the
US to try to solve the problems.