Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Paypal (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/paypal-t137493.html)

BigDog 07-14-2011 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
I always get an amail and send it as a gift so the seller avoids other charges by pp

Bad. Bad.

If the seller decides to rip you off, you have ZERO recourse.

The Paypal fees are minimal and worth the security. Everything sent should have a tracking number. That protects the seller. If you pay via "gift" and don't get your merchandise, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Not only is an invoice far more professional, but if done correctly (not gift), both parties are protected.

Kathios 07-14-2011 04:54 AM

I've used paypal for years, as a seller and a buyer. I understand the fees, and the protection that they provide, so I don't mind paying them. In over 10 years, I've never had a problem with paypal. And I'm a senior who is not too computer proficient, so it is easy!

jdiane318 07-14-2011 04:58 AM

I too, like Paypal for all the above reasons plus being able to print a very legible label at reduced cost for the purchase. Saves time and money.

cjomomma 07-14-2011 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by jmabby

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I can't figure out how to send an invoice on paypal. Wether the buyer has an invoice or not they are still protected thru paypal.

Hit Request Money
Hit Create Invoice
halfway down you put in buyer's email address, fill in the items they purchased, you can write note or comment and send. I have not ever been charged for creating an invoice. I even tell sellers if they choose not to use PP its ok, but I do like to send the invoice for both our records.

Thank you for explaining that to me. I tried to figure it out but some how kept missing it.

frarose 07-14-2011 05:59 AM

Yes you just make a request to a buyer for money and that could act as an invoice.

CoyoteQuilts 07-14-2011 06:07 AM

You also don't have to have a PayPal account to send money. The person that wouldn't send money without an invoice would have still been covered if they had sent to the e-mail address through PayPal. I rarely send invoice unless requested and I never use PayPal labels-why pay for something that is free on USPS? Also, when you use USPS the delivery confirmation is free and if you want other services you can get it there also. The only draw back is that you can't pay for 1st class mail on USPS.

Prism99 07-14-2011 08:11 AM

I had always wondered about the invoice thing too. Thanks for the explanation!

ptquilts 07-14-2011 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
You also don't have to have a PayPal account to send money. The person that wouldn't send money without an invoice would have still been covered if they had sent to the e-mail address through PayPal. I rarely send invoice unless requested and I never use PayPal labels-why pay for something that is free on USPS? Also, when you use USPS the delivery confirmation is free and if you want other services you can get it there also. The only draw back is that you can't pay for 1st class mail on USPS.

Or media mail, or anything besides Priority and Express.

frugalfabrics 07-14-2011 02:28 PM

I've learned so much about paypal from you all. I didn't know how to do an invoice either until just recently.

One other tidbit I learned, by calling the PayPal customer service line: If you have one of their Paypal Debit Cards, you can get your money out instantly, without paying a fee!

I use to have to wait for the money to transfer to my bank account - usually took 2 or 3 days. If you use the ATM to get money off your card, there is a $3 or $4 fee! But after speaking with the Paypal customer service guy, he told me, all I had to do was go to a store, make a purchase and use the card as a debit card and then request money back.

So I went to the store and bought a pack of gum for 50cents and swiped it for debit, put in my pin number and asked for $50...and like magic, it came out. And of course, I immediately went home and signed in to paypal to make sure I wasn't charged some type of hidden fee...and nope....NO FEE to do that.

My account is a Premier account...not sure if that is the standard name of an account or what, but I thought I'd mention it in case that made a difference.

#1piecemaker 07-15-2011 04:11 AM

I don't usually send invoices. But, I can put just as much on a request for money. So, that is what I use. I've never noticed any fees for that service.