Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pet Peeve on TV (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pet-peeve-tv-t176658.html)

Jingle 01-23-2012 10:48 AM

I don't watch any of those shows and not much TV period.

Peckish 01-23-2012 11:06 AM

Yes, WE can avoid the trash, but unfortunately the younger generations DO watch these shows.

I recently read an article about bullying and how it's become so prevalent in our schools. Someone noted that sitcoms have changed - the comedy used to be about the person, now it's about putting someone else down. I think he's hit the nail on the head!!! Our children are watching this and learning that it's okay to put someone else down because it's considered funny. I even believe it's extended to our political system. It is nearly impossible to have a civil discussion about the issues without it devolving into name-calling!

honeybea 01-23-2012 11:22 AM

I do agree 100% with the above comments......I was really surprised that on one cooking show they had to choose a trampy looking smart mouth female(won't use the word lady). There are so many really good talented people that they could have picked. Whats up with this vulgarity.......Bea

Crqltr 01-23-2012 11:22 AM

The French fry com that has the guy shoving as many fries in as he can get. Disgusting.

chickadee_42us 01-23-2012 11:27 AM

Agree with everything said but my true pet peeve, the volume increasing for commercials is NOT necessary.

merry 01-23-2012 12:12 PM

The state of tv crudity was summed up for me by hearing that Steven Tyler testified before a government board that tv is getting too graphic in dress & language!!!

Nanamoms 01-23-2012 12:31 PM

I forget to add how in the world can the female characters wear "White" pants to investigate a crime and NEVER get a speck of "evidence' on them, much less dirt!!

I was watching TV with my 21yo grandson and one of the "female pleasure" commercials came on. I just had to pretend it wasn't on. And the sponsors DO NOT wait until after 9 pm to air them!!

QuiltnNan 01-23-2012 12:37 PM

I totally agree!

Jothesewer 01-23-2012 01:34 PM

You are right. I have noticed that some of the news girls are wearing very low revealing necklines. I agree the bad language is not needed. All of the sex scenes disgust me too, seems like every show needs to have some kind of sex talk or scenes. The sitcoms are terrible.
There are some very good shows on history, smithsonnian, Discovery, some of the upper channels have good informative shows.
Jothesewer

Sheila_H 01-23-2012 01:48 PM

I always laugh at the CSI ladies that show up to basically a blood bath and they are wearing white pants and 4 inch high heels lol dry cleaning bill must be murder.
Our pastor one weekend said he was going to anger a lot of people with his sermon it was "sex, drugs and TV", the first show he hit was desperate housewives and the second was the daytime soaps. He said what kind of society are we raising our children in, where people aren't really dead when they show up as ghosts, and rejoin the family. The adultery, rapes, incest, murder, kidnapping, money buys you anything. At supper time I see more commercials for KY and trojans than anything else and the volume level is through the roof. When my grandsons are here I always police the channels as to what I will allow them to watch. They only get an hour of time in front of the TV which I think is plenty, we play board games, we read, we work on crafts, and they survive!