Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Phony Numbers on Caller ID (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/phony-numbers-caller-id-t254943.html)

Prism99 10-08-2014 12:43 PM

I keep our landline because the sound quality of the calls tends to be so much better than our cell phones. My husband has some hearing loss, but even I find it easier to talk on the "regular" phone than on my cell. The cell is priceless for when I am out of the house, though, and I like having it on me in case of a car emergency (or if someone needs to get hold of me for an emergency).

luce321 10-08-2014 02:34 PM

I too had a call from my own number with our name and number listed. The reason they do this is so you will answer the call to see what's going on. If they used their own number you would not answer the call. I just hang up. I have u-verse and when a call comes in and you happen to be watching tv, the name and number shows on your tv screen. If you are not viewing tv the caller's number will appear on your phone.

my-ty 10-08-2014 02:56 PM

I just try to not let it bother me. I get the calls on both my landline and my cell. I hang up on all recordings, and say "No thank you" as I hang up on all unwanted human callers. I never press any numbers on any in-coming calls (I heard years ago that your connection can easily be hijacked when you do this - no idea if this is true or not). If I am really annoyed then I phone someone. If I call a friend or family member which I haven't talked to recently; both of us enjoy our conversation and we both get the added benefit that neither of us will get any annoying calls while we are using our phones. Life is too short to fret about things we cannot change.

decky 10-08-2014 05:22 PM

I have it set up so when my landline rings it shows up on my tv what number is calling and who it is from. One of the better features from my cable company.

Doggramma 10-08-2014 06:07 PM

We rarely pick up the phone - the calls all go to the answering machine. And we have the phone muted. It was way too annoying before we did this.

Cindy60545 10-09-2014 01:39 AM

I get this too. They've even used my own number also. I've reported one of them to the phone co. but they still call. We've been on the do not call list since it started, but it doesn't do any good. There was a lady on the news a while back that actually sued one of the telemarketers & won. I'm thinking of doing that to this one that won't give up. I hate it!

coopah 10-09-2014 04:01 AM

THanks, NJ Quilter for the info on 'nomorobo.' My husband is checking it out right now. We get many calls...people think everyone is FL is an elder ready to be scammed. Disgusting. We have caller ID and figure that if they want to talk to us, they'll leave a message.

Mollie'sMom 10-09-2014 04:12 AM

I was wondering if a caller could be blocked by the receiver. If you can block someone on the internet, it looks like it would be possible on the phone.

lclang 10-09-2014 04:28 AM

We also get multiple calls for "surveys". I realize some of them are probably legitimate but I don't knowhow the info is used and whether it is skewed to suit what they want so we don't do surveys at all.

Seaside gal 10-09-2014 05:19 AM

Some landline phones have a blocking feature. We have one that will block 30 incoming numbers but now they have phones that will block a lot more numbers. Yes, it's a bother.