Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Phony Numbers on Caller ID (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/phony-numbers-caller-id-t254943.html)

MaggieLou 10-09-2014 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom (Post 6921133)
I was wondering if a caller could be blocked by the receiver. If you can block someone on the internet, it looks like it would be possible on the phone.

Yes, you can block calls on the phone. At least I can with Time Warner Cable. I can block up to 30 numbers. I think most phone companies have that feature. Not sure about wireless but landlines should have it.

DonnaC 10-09-2014 06:59 AM

Oh boy, my favorite subject! :) It's gotten to the point where I do NOT pick up the phone for anything I don't recognize. Unfortunately, my brother and a couple of my relatives have unlisted numbers, so when they call me, it comes up as "Private Number" so I won't pick it up. They know enough to start talking into the machine and then I'll answer. :)

calla 10-09-2014 07:49 AM

Persistent little devils, telemarketers ............back pain, chest pain, diabetes, medic alert, and someone named Roger who gave our number instead of his. Yes we have caller ID however the phone still rings, and rings 4 times before the machine activates. I heard that someone blew a whistle into the phone.........I don't know if that helped or not..........makes a girl be grumpy......calla

sewvic 10-09-2014 11:54 AM

I have had my own phone number show up on my caller ID. How do they do that? I get at least 10 calls a week from the recorded message "Card Member Services". If I could ever get my hands around her neck, I would happily strangle her and no jury would ever convict me....at least not those who have been inundated with calls like most of us have. Thank heaven for caller ID. If I get a call that says Private or shows as just a phone number and no name, I ignore it. I wish someone was smart enough to come up with a means to stop these nuisance calls.

judyfry 10-09-2014 12:02 PM

What is even more irritating is I got rid of the landline and now the call my cell. Especially irritating is the credit card calls to consolidate debt, that I don't even have,
Judy

Onebyone 10-09-2014 12:05 PM

If you get a robo call, stay on the call and press the number they say that lets them know you are interested. Then when an actual human gets on the line tell them to put you on their do not call list. This has worked for me. No more Card Member Services calls after a couple of weeks and I was getting them every day.

nativetexan 10-09-2014 04:38 PM

just don't press 9. i worked at an office once and a telephone guy called and cking the lines said for me to press 900. well calls on our company bill to Ethiopia and other Countries showed up quickly. He got several of us that way. No more!

nivosum 10-09-2014 07:06 PM

The free service of 'nomorobo' actually works. I signed up and now only get up to answer the phone when it rings a second time. 'Nomorobo' gets it the other times. If I don't recognize the phone number, I don't pick up or I hit the answer button followed immediately by hang up button. I don't even bother to put the phone to my ear.

Anniedeb 10-09-2014 09:32 PM

Haven't tried nomorobo, but do have caller ID, and our new phone allows me to block 250 numbers. I continually add numbers, and in just a few weeks our calls have decreased to just a couple a day. So far I haven't gotten many on my cell, but unfortunately my DH does. Wish I could get rid of the landline, but need if for my heart monitor.....maybe someday!

jetayre 10-10-2014 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6920155)
How do they do that? We have caller ID - I go to Reverse Lookup to see who/what is calling us - and "Invalid Number" is what I get.

One time it even showed OUR name and number calling OUR phone!

W just got one with our own name and number, We have no call but these guys call sometimes six times a day. Good thing for caller ID. We see on the tv and don't bother to get up to answer it.