Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pinterest - Important information. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pinterest-important-information-t183443.html)

Kath12 03-21-2012 05:26 AM

I'm not going to panic and take down my boards. I love using Pinterest and will continue to do so.

Latrinka 03-21-2012 05:29 AM

I'm always very leery of joining anything, surprised I joined this board! Never did facebook and never will!

catmcclure 03-21-2012 06:07 AM

Reminds me of a quilt contest by a place in the U.K. You designed your quilt, made the quilt, and sent in photos with a $25 entry fee. If you won, you got a sewing machine or some such - not really valuable, but bragging rights on winning the contest. THEY got all rights to your design.

solstice3 03-21-2012 06:17 AM

I visited the site once and found it overwhelming. This is the only place I really feel comfortable posting and sharing.

Tuxedo Mom 03-21-2012 07:57 AM

I'm reading everything these days

I never put anything on any social media these days without thinking seriously about it first. Yesterday saw an article in the Washington Post that employers are now "asking" job candidates to either give them their facebook info and login, or having them log-in on that company's computer so they can retrieve the information and look at that person's facebook page. If the job candidate says no, they are not considered for the job. I think so many things have gone way too far and so many of us just give away all of our life history, ideas, and personal and financial information and people are taking advantage of our trust in others. I'm certainly more careful than I used to be, but nowhere as much as I should be. I trust too easily and am trying to be better with social media where you have no idea who some of these people are.

cheri stonespinner 03-21-2012 08:15 AM

thanks for the heads up! I was halfway to joining that site. I didn't like the idea that they wanted my password for my facebook account. So I stopped the process.

ptquilts 03-21-2012 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by cheri stonespinner (Post 5078934)
thanks for the heads up! I was halfway to joining that site. I didn't like the idea that they wanted my password for my facebook account. So I stopped the process.

I agree, I never do that "Log in with your facebook account" on any other website. And I don't do any "apps" or games on FB. Too leery.

jlwheart 03-21-2012 02:47 PM

I'm slow to try stuff on the internet. I'd heard about Pinterest and it sounded interesting. But I've still not figured out how to really use my laptop so I'm not on Facebook. Maybe that's a good thing. I'm glad you alerted us to reading fine print. I confess I give it a quick scan but I don't go over it as closely as I should. Thanks.

rural01 03-22-2012 05:39 AM

I love pinterest, but I can see where there could be problems ahead. I've just read a few of the concerns--one that was written in Huffington Post by an attorney who outlined similar concerns as was listed in this post. How though, is pinterest any different from this board or others or social media where we post pictures of our quilts allowing or even encouraging others to to copy designs. As a writer and photographer, I understand copyright infringement, and have always wondered about all things on the internet. However, I see the internet as a public domain--if we want to keep our work private, why put it 'out there?' This was an excellent thoughtful post. Certainly, this is something to think about. I have no plans of discontinuing my pinterest use because frankly, I love it.

Jingle 03-22-2012 07:38 AM

I don't know anything about pinterest.